Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DotW 17: 2-shot Draw on Two Targets

We are diminished

DotW 17: 2-shot Draw on Two Targets

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 17: 2-shot Draw on Two Targets
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 30-January-2012.

Range: 5yd+
    Target: two 3x5 cards
    Start position: holstered
    Rounds fired: 20-60

This drill was developed primarily to address the DA/SA transition for traditional double action pistols. However, it is also valid for SA, DAO, and SFA guns.

Begin holstered at 5yd. Draw and fire one shot to the first 3x5 card, keeping the trigger pulled all the way to the rear after the shot is fired. Aim at the second card, then allow the trigger forward to reset, and fire one round at the second card. Repeat for a total of ten pairs (20 shots). Compare the group size/location between your first card (which should be ten single shots from the draw) and your second card (which should be ten single shots from reset).

If you got all your hits on both cards at 5yd, repeat the process at 7yd.
    If you score 100% hits at 7yd, increase to 10yd and repeat again.

The primary goal for this drill is to make the shooter aware of the difference between the trigger's movement from rest (fully forward) and from reset (fully back). If the two 3x5 cards at a given distance look substantially different (e.g., if one card has all hits and the other has many misses; or, one has a centered group and the other is grouped low left), then you know that you're doing something different in the way you manipulate the trigger when transitioning from first shot to follow-up shots.

If you cannot draw from the holster, instead begin from a ready position.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
    • number of misses for each card at 5yd
    • number of misses for each card at 7yd (if scored 100% at 5yd)
    • number of misses for each card at 10yd (if scored 100% at 7yd)

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

No time limit? Take all the time you want? Seems beyond simple, and predictable.

Starting position G17 in 6004 shot right after DotW 16

• 5yd no misses
    • 7yd no misses
    • 10yds -1 (first shot at first card @ 10 yards)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by EmanP View Post
    No time limit? Take all the time you want? Seems beyond simple, and predictable.
    It's not supposed to be a challenge, it's supposed to be a learning experience.

My results from today...

5yd: clean on both cards; groups were fairly similar but a couple of flyers on the first card compared to the second

7yd: missed the first card once; group size was tight on second card but inexplicably loose on the first with a number of low shots; my rough guess is that all the laser shooting I've done recently has me staying focused on the target a little too long when going at medium speed.

Site Supporter
    I had one miss on card 2 at 10 yards. My card 2 groups were also noticeable tighter. It was very awkward keeping the trigger all the way to the rear instead of resetting in recoil.

Start position: AIWB concealed with a closed-front shirt (containing the usual stock Gen3 G34 with Defoor sights.)
    5 yard targets: 100% hits, zero misses*
    7 yard targets: 100% hits, zero misses*
    10 yard targets: 90% hits, one miss per target.

At all three distances, I drew to the left target and transitioned to the right target.

5 yard target:
    [IMG] DotW17_5yds by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

7 yard target:
    [IMG] DotW17_7yds by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

10 yard target:
    [IMG] DotW17_10yds by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

*I nearly pulled shots off the card at both 5 and 7 yards due to jerking the trigger. I was secretly hoping to overachieve on this one and take it out to an unscheduled string at 15 yards. But, my 100% hits did not extend through the 10 yard line. I am happy enough with how I did (as in I don’t have to hate myself over this one.)

To the learning point of the drill, I think that the difference between the results on the draw target and the transition target is from doing a very slow hybrid pressout-type thing on the draw target, and stopping the gun more consistently and fully on the transition target. But I jerked the trigger on both.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    my rough guess is that all the laser shooting I've done recently has me staying focused on the target a little too long when going at medium speed.
    Sounds like you shot this drill with iron sights, is that right?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Sounds like you shot this drill with iron sights, is that right?
    Yes.

I was happy with my performance on this one. I shot it after doing the bullseye three ways (horrible performance)

Start position: AIWB no concealment, HK P30
    5 yard targets: 100% hits, zero misses
    7 yard targets: 100% hits, zero misses
    10 yard targets: 80% hits, one miss on one three miss on two.

Concealed G17

5yds 100%
    7yds Missed the very first shot way high. Yanked another one barely hanging on towards the end.

I shot them all left to right. So one thing that was funny, at 5yds the first card engaged had a one hole group, granted it was a big hole, and the second card was lose but formed a semi-circle with the middle solid. At 7 yards, the exact opposite happened. The first card had most all it's rounds go around the main hole and the second card had most rounds fill the middle. I'm not sure why.

User Tag List