Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
I have an image in my mind when "desk gun" is ever mentioned. My father is close to 82 years old and is a retired FBI agent. He worked in a small, four man "RA", for several years back in the 1970's. As a teenager, I visited the office on a few occasions and met the other agents as they typed out reports and worked the phones. No computers on the desks back then. The one observation that I did notice that almost all the agents in the office used their desk drawer to place their handgun while just working in the office. Empty holster clearly visibly on their belts. No casual business attire back then, all wore suit jackets & ties. Anyway, my fathers' issued gun was a blue steel, S&W model 10 (skinny barrel), four inch, square butt, with Packmayer grip adaptor. So, there is my vote for "desk gun".
That was policy, you were supposed to lock the gun in your desk while in the office. I never followed that policy. It wasn’t enforced in my office. Back in the Hoover days, agents were strongly discouraged about hanging aroundin the office. Supposed to be out “investigating”.