Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Classic Desk Gun

@RevolverRob - get out of my head....

@RevolverRob - get out of my head....

I'll agree with Rob and others...to me the ultimate desk gun is a 2 inch blued 38 revolver with wood grips. Of course my current desk gun is a Colt 1903. While the .32 isn't a man-stopper, it will work long enough for me to get to the bigger guns.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I was also going to vote for a single-action, but I think one of these is even better.

Name:  flint.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  22.5 KB

As GJM already mentioned, I'm reluctant to leave a functioning firearm just lying around. We had a cop killed with a stolen gun down the road from me not too long ago.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    3.5" S&W model 27. Just laying hands one it will motivate you and stimulate your brain in a way no drug can match.
    That was the first thing I thought of, but any blued N-frame would be good.

Site Supporter
    My first choice would be the Colt D frame followed by the Smith 1917. Maybe a Webley?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I second the nomination of a 2" Model 10. Well worn bluing preferred but nickel is legit too. Not a SS model. No sir.

Edit: a 4" or 5" would be equal.
    Last edited by JHC; 11-21-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would suggest an N Frame that has substantial wear and is a .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt or .45 ACP.

Malamute's old Model 29-2 is the very first gun that came to mind. If you owned such a gun from the time it was new, you would have no trouble having material to write about, as it speaks of years worth of adventures, hiking, traveling, hunting, and just plain living. Some of that living, I am quite sure was not exactly what many would consider "traditional", or comfortable, but adventures rarely are.

A worn 38-44 would be hard to beat IMO.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    To sit on top of your desk, I would get a battery of these:

https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/p...on-.50-caliber

Fire a salvo aimed at the door and you will be safe from all!

The desk gun won't be just left lying around. It will be kept in a desk drawer and the office locked when we're not home.

A lot of terrific suggestions! An S&W revolver is definitely high on the list. A 38 snubbie would be a classic. I have 38 Special I inherited from my grandmother. She bought it for herself two or three decades ago and kept it in her dresser drawer. It would make the perfect desk gun, but it's in beautiful condition, still in it's original wrapper and box and has never been fired. When I asked her if she bought it for self defense, she gave me a little smile and said "You could say that." Her marriage to my grandfather was a rocky one and I believe it's purchase was to send a message. I don't believe in safe queens, but this one I'd like to keep in it's current condition.

Stephanie, I like your suggestion of a .455 Webley. Nothing says "high adventure" as the stout, iconic revolver that built the British Empire. I'm not sure how easy it is these days to find ammo for it, though.

The "45 Automatic" is certainly a classic desk gun, ranking right up there with the snubbie 38s and Webely revolvers. It also has the added benefit of being one of my favorite handguns. I have always loved the 1911. Why not use one of my Gold Cups, you ask? Because they occasionally serve for outdoor explorations and occasionally for concealed carry. Because if I used a pistol from my current collection, I could explain to my wife that I need another to serve as a desk gun.

I briefly thought about a single action, although I hadn't considered something in the class of a Colt Navy. Frankly, I think the single action would serve better as a display piece. The desk gun still needs to be practical for self defense. I am often at home alone, late at night, in my office attempting to write while the wife is away at work. I have little reason to believe I'll be the next victim of a home invasion, but should the unthinkable happen, the handgun should be adequate to the task. However, the suggestion did get me to thinking about building a display rack for the Winchester 94 in 25-35 I inherited from my uncle, who inherited it from my grandfather.

I will be touring the local gunshops to see what they have on hand, with a list made up from the suggestions made so far. I might even make a trip up into Idaho. I hear there are some terrific gunshops in Twin Falls and that the Cabella's in Boise has an interesting library.

I better get out of here and get back to work on my stories. Looks like I'm gonna need to build up my War Chest if I'm going to be able to afford another handgun.

Forgot to add- Rob, great post! Really caught the flavor of what I'm thinking.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 11-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List