Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Classic Desk Gun

A .38 Automatic. Not a Super .38 Automatic, but the old parallel ruler gun. Maybe a 1903 Pocket Hammer.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-21-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Smith 1917 in .45 ACP.

civiliandefender.com
    This. Exactly.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Well, since it will not be actually carried about on your person, I think it might be the one legitimate use for what I have always perversely wanted:
    Name:  Fitzspecial.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  7.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A .38 Automatic. Not a Super .38 Automatic, but the old parallel ruler gun. Maybe a 1903 Pocket Hammer.
    Like this old family heirloom?

"This guy...he gets it. A 2" Colt D-Frame is the quintessential "desk gun" in my opinion. It's the gun every hard boiled writer should have on hand, when they are writing."

There are many like it...but this one is mine. '57 Cobra-- that I just mentioned in the New Cobra thread. Then I saw this...and decided to dig up the photo.

(Just remember to throw the desk gun in the safe when you leave home, to prevent the baddies taking it, like in GJM's case. He ain't wrong about that.) Or buy an antique desk with a hidden compartment. They're out there.

Last edited by Clyde from Carolina; 11-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Like this old family heirloom?

See, it's not even hard to write scenes around such storied objects.

Mackay Sagebrush sat calmly at the roll top desk, located in the corner of his living room. He looked at the screen of his laptop, itself the most anachronistic item in the whole house. The remote Idaho cabin he inhabited today, was his reward for decades of hard work and service. Across the room, a set of glass-fronted bookcases contained Mackay's hand-written journals, along with many of his trophies and treasures. Some were reflections of his own hard work, a worn, but very serviceable Smith and Wesson Model 29 in .44 Magnum was held in a well cared for floral carved leather holster, both sat on top of the bookcase. The revolver had been a gift to himself when he made Sergeant more than 25 years ago. The Smith, thankfully, couldn't talk; Mackay was afraid it would never shut up, given how much it had seen. He recalled the slight ding on the ejector rod shroud, put there when he'd hit a murderer, that Mackay had gone to arrest, in the teeth during the fight that ensued. Like the revolver, many of his objects bore the marks of hard work.

Inside the top case, was a nice condition Colt 1902, his grandfather's gun. Alongside a well worn Bolo machete that bore the stamp of the United States Marine Corp. The machete had been used frequently and sharpened nearly as often. The edge and blade had been maintained well and were still razor sharp, the wooden scales bore cracks from changes in humidity from traveling around the world and a few impromptu "field repairs" had been performed over the years. Mackay's grandfather had carried the Colt and the Bolo during WWII when sent to the Pacific Theater, both had seen him through the conflict and brought him home. When he returned, he married his sweetheart and fathered Mackay's father and Mackay's two uncles and two aunts. Mackay had received both the Colt and the Bolo when he turned 18, gifts to help see him through his life.

"Yes...", thought Mackay, "They worked well to keep me safe..."
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-21-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Here's the "typewriter" you need too.
    Name:  a313954befdbbabb981e9cf39a7521ab.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  42.9 KB

If this won’t fit in your desk, get a bigger desk.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Somebody mentioned Webley revolvers. If this type was good enough for George Armstrong Custer and (the fictional ) Dr John H Watson, it will be good enough for you.
    It's back story will write itself, really.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719841334

Name:  pix123924931.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  93.5 KB

Lee makes dies for .455, and bullet molds as well. You'll want to load this one to black powder specs; otherwise, Fiocci makes a decent .455 load.

My other suggestions would be a functional but ratty unrestored P-38 or an Inglis Hi Power.

Or just go with Dagga Boy's opinion, since he's always right, anyway.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If this won’t fit in your desk, get a bigger desk.
    That goes in the umbrella stand.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List