Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Classic Desk Gun

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    MAB PA15 with a pack of vintage Gauloises, and Gevelot 9x19 ammo.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    And the large white, slightly dirty, flag too
    Last edited by alohadoug; 11-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    And the large white, slightly dirty, flag too
    Yeah, well, France had about 40 million people in 1914. They had about 1,400,000 military dead, another 300,000 or so civilians. The losses from the British Empire, with Americans added in, didn't equal that.

U.S. population was about 92 million. If we had lost 3,900,000 million men in the war, I kind of doubt if there would have been any interest at all in the goings-on in Europe in the 1930s.

(I've adjusted the equivalent American casualty total up by adding in equivalent civilian losses.)

Imagine, if you will, that we went to war today and the war lasted 4 years or so. During that time, we had over 11 million military personnel dead from one cause or another and another 2.4 million civilians who died as a result of the war. What do you suppose the national reaction would be, 20 years after the war ended, to go and fight another such war?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Yeah, well, France had about 40 million people in 1914. They had about 1,400,000 military dead, another 300,000 or so civilians. The losses from the British Empire, with Americans added in, didn't equal that.

U.S. population was about 92 million. If we had lost 3,900,000 million men in the war, I kind of doubt if there would have been any interest at all in the goings-on in Europe in the 1930s.

(I've adjusted the equivalent American casualty total up by adding in equivalent civilian losses.)

Imagine, if you will, that we went to war today and the war lasted 4 years or so. During that time, we had over 11 million military personnel dead from one cause or another and another 2.4 million civilians who died as a result of the war. What do you suppose the national reaction would be, 20 years after the war ended, to go and fight another such war?
    My deepest apologizes. It was a poor attempt at humor. Having served along side the French before I have the up most respect for them.

And yes we made that joke to them too. Then they pointed out that if it wasn't for them, we'd still be saluting the Queen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I second the nomination of a 2" Model 10. Well worn bluing preferred but nickel is legit too. Not a SS model. No sir.

Edit: a 4" or 5" would be equal.
    Here you go. M&P ca. 1949 with the period Western ammo.Name:  AD6E6D71-9703-4F76-ABFC-60FB692F601D.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  59.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-26-2017 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    3,900,000 million men
    Typo alert! {Sheesh}

And I missed the timeline to fix it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Here you go. M&P ca. 1949 with the period Western ammo.Name:  AD6E6D71-9703-4F76-ABFC-60FB692F601D.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  59.6 KB
    This would be perfect. While I prefer S&Ws, an older Colt Detective Special (non-shrouded ejector rod) would fit the bill nicely as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SWAT Lt. View Post
    This would be perfect. While I prefer S&Ws, an older Colt Detective Special (non-shrouded ejector rod) would fit the bill nicely as well.
    My classic desk gun is a 1955 6" heavy barrel Colt Official Police with a Tyler T-grip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Desk gun: A model 10

I have an image in my mind when "desk gun" is ever mentioned. My father is close to 82 years old and is a retired FBI agent. He worked in a small, four man "RA", for several years back in the 1970's. As a teenager, I visited the office on a few occasions and met the other agents as they typed out reports and worked the phones. No computers on the desks back then. The one observation that I did notice that almost all the agents in the office used their desk drawer to place their handgun while just working in the office. Empty holster clearly visibly on their belts. No casual business attire back then, all wore suit jackets & ties. Anyway, my fathers' issued gun was a blue steel, S&W model 10 (skinny barrel), four inch, square butt, with Packmayer grip adaptor. So, there is my vote for "desk gun".
    Last edited by Inspector71; 11-26-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    My deepest apologizes. It was a poor attempt at humor. Having served along side the French before I have the up most respect for them.

And yes we made that joke to them too. Then they pointed out that if it wasn't for them, we'd still be saluting the Queen.
    I'm sorry for teeing off on you like that. I shouldn't have.

The French did some stupid things, such as not paying attention to history and not fortifying the Belgian border. I don't know if running the Maginot Line to the sea would have changed things, but it might have.

User Tag List