Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For A Classic Desk Gun

Looking For A Classic Desk Gun

I am finally in a place in my life where I can dedicate a room in my home to an office I can retreat to and write. From this office, I plan to write gun articles, high adventure fiction and the next Great American Novel from which I will make millions from selling the movie rights. The office is sparse, but comfortable. There's a small musty couch, a heavily discounted roll around chair and small desk that was left behind by the previous occupants. It's a start, but I realized it was lacking something. There is no handgun in the desk drawer. Every writer worth their salt should have a handgun in the drawer. I have my PPQ as an EDC and a couple of Gold Cup Commanders, but they have their own purposes.

It would be easy to buy say a Glock 19 and toss it in the drawer, but where's the romance in that? It's a solid piece, but sadly uninspired. In stories, Glocks are just Glocks. They don't even get described as "big ugly automatics". I want something with a little more panache. Something classic, yet practical as this handgun still has to work, if the unthinkable should ever happen. It should also be affordable. While a Luger has panache, it's expensive and needs to be babied, not to mention they bring premium prices.

It's primary purpose is to be kept in the desk for self defense. It should be something reliable, affordable and a classic design. It should be a common caliber and something with history behind it and something that inspires storytelling. Although I'm posting this in the REVOLVER sub-forum, I'm open to it being an automatic as well. We can have some fun with this, but it also needs to be a practical shooter.

What do you suggest and why? What to you is the classic desk gun?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

To truely be classic, you need a revolver of some sort. Blued steel, and of a classic large bore.
    I'd go with an N-Framed S&W of some sort. Either a Model 25 in .45LC, or an old surplus 1917 in .45ACP.

Class the place up.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

If you are writing a western....

3.5" S&W model 27. Just laying hands one it will motivate you and stimulate your brain in a way no drug can match.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    If you are writing a western....

That goes under the desk, suspended by a rawhide thong.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Not sure why the Commanders won't serve the purpose. When I saw the thread title, a 5" 1911 was the first thing that popped into my head.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

PPK is the classic desk gun. But a blued Smith model 10 with a pencil barrel and woods grips would look right at home too. Or any S&W wheely with less than a 3" barrel. Or a classic GI style government model 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Not sure why the Commanders won't serve the purpose. When I saw the thread title, a 5" 1911 was the first thing that popped into my head.
    Close,
    How about a WWII VINTAGE 1911. History of the piece, can be powerfully inspiring, just by itself. Or if you are set on a revolver, a nice set of Colt Peacemakers, are always inspiring.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 11-21-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    5" 1911 always pops into my head first. And this case is no different

Or N frame

My considered advise is to TREAD CAREFULLY! I mean, really.... If you go with a plastic fantastic, that Great American Novel goes, "Poof" like a sheet of flashpaper! You're relegated to writing jingles for Hagen Daz or working your way up the food chain to Hallmark™ Associate V.P. of Greetings.

Take Joe or Dagga's advice and get some classic iron! I'd throw out the idea for a nice Colt S.A. Mebbe something with a flaking nickle finish with some yellow bone grips in 44-40. Perhaps P.M. Misanthopist for advice? When I read his stuff I get the picture of a Lahti full of German SMG ammo or a Mauser Schnellfeur peaking out from a partially opened desk drawer.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List