Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pistols you are glad you skipped

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A friend of mine has a .50 DE. Gold plated.

My 629 will fire six rounds without a jam.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    S&W M&P9.

I came really close to buying one back when they first were big and Apex had rolled out the DCAEK. Thankfully, I was a poor college student at the time and it took time for research and to save funds. My Father purchased one (I didn't tell him to he just knew I was interested).

Later on out comes the accuracy issues, etc. and the ergonomics while good are very smooth.

I'm happy I went Glock.

God Bless,

Brandon

^^^^Maybe it’s just limp wristing. You know, 50 AE and all
    Last edited by Father of 3; 11-22-2017 at 07:29 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    So the two most consistently mentioned here are the P320 and XD series. The P320 I get, but why so much hate towards the XD line? I personally like Glocks more, but XDs are very nice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    XD's are reasonably accurate and have decent triggers out of the box making them "shootable." The issues with them are durability, the grip safety locking up the slide when not depressed and the lack of armorer support and unavailability of factory spare parts.

The grip safety issue alone makes the gun wholly unsuitable for any serious defensive or duty use.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    Pretty much any time I try to talk myself into leaving the P series sig line I do my best to talk myself out of it. Not that there aren't better options/sig QC/sig CEO/etc. I have a load of magazines, holsters, tools, spare parts and just can't justify spending the money to gear up for a whole new gun. I did, in a moment of weakness, buy a Springfield Lipsey's 9mm 1911. It was amazeballs and I really enjoyed shooting it, but fitting an ambi safety (lefty curse) getting mags, holster, etc. was just going down a rabbit hole that I couldn't afford at the time (still can't). I ended up selling for a bit of a loss and am still going strong with the 226/229. Point being there are plenty of quality guns I could shoot just fine that I'm glad I have passed on and just bought ammo instead.
    This post got my thinker going.

This year, I made a transition to Gen 4 Glock 9mms. It was a sensible decision. I have the 17, 19, 26, and 43, all shooting the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P, with common holsters and gear.

I also have 8 different Berettas in the 92, PX4, and Cougar series all with the same DA/SA trigger and same or similar control arrangements. Recently, after spending some Cougar and 92 time, that arrangement felt comfortable and familiar since the PX4 was my first pistol and my only pistol for a number of years. When I got my first 92FS it was a marriage of those familiar and comfortable controls with a proven design (although the PX4 has shown itself worthy on its own merits since).

What has become clear is that I need to make a choice there. Currently 80% of the training ammo is going to the Glocks. I shoot them well and they are of good quality, but I would be lying if I said I felt the same comfort with them that I do with the assurance and familiarity of a 92-series in my hand. I still have more rounds through Berettas than anything else. The Glocks offer more flexibility, are simpler, are lighter, and give me more carry choices, but the Beretta 92-series is like an old leather coat. It's comfortable.

Thought-provoking post. There are, indeed, a lot of good gun choices a person can make. You can marry yourself to the P-Series, Glock, 92-series, USP series, whatever, and likely have a successful shooting and carrying career. Maybe the difference between amateur and expert is the willingness to really lock in to that decision for a long period of time.

Anyway, so I don't drift the thread, another pistol I'm glad I skipped: The Springfield Armory EMP .40. I ended up falling out of love with .40 (though we remain on civil terms and talk sometimes) and that would have been an expensive mistake.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

S&W M&P9. Shot my buddy's and was sorely disappointed in the trigger and atrocious accuracy.

Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm; no moon clips revolver. Great idea, but poor execution. Buddy had to send his back twice. He finally asked Charter to swap and send him the .38 spl. instead. To their credit, they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    R51
    P320
    Ditto. Both of which a foreseen me getting.

Glad I skipped late Gen3 early Gen4 Glocks.
    Seriously Glock, how could you screw up a 17 and a 19 so badly when they were previously the yardstick for reliability everyone else tried to measure up to.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-24-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

P320 - Was waiting for a certain SKU to come out (Manual Safety & 15rd mags), then procrastinated when it did, then the whole drop safety thing happened.

I was wandering around a gun show in ‘95 trying to pick out my first pistol. I was very close to a two tone DP51. I walked out of there with a G19.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List