Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car GPS recommendations

Car GPS recommendations

Waze on the IPhone, coupled with a Steelie. Far superior to anything else I’ve ever tried. By a long shot.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Orig.../dp/B00BAQKRHY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 11-20-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Another vote for Waze. The real time traffic updates are the heat. Also rerouting based on traffic is great, as well as Spotify integration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am another (huge) Nuvi fan. Hard to beat for $79. We have one for each car, will probably buy an extra one for the motorcycle next summer. For that money it is not worth moving from car to car.
    If I am worried about traffic I augment with my phone.
    Lots of nice extra data available. Speedometer, frequently shows the speed limit.
    They also have an accessory if your vehicle doesn't have a backup camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Garmin Nuvi the best electronic product I've ever bought. At eight years old, it's survived two MVCs, has never been updated, and it still works great.

Used to use Garmin until I tried Waze on my iPhone. Waze told me there was an object in the road. Sure enough there was an end table smack in the middle of the road. My Garmin was dumb as a stump in that department. So I ditched the Garmin and rely upon Waze.

I wouldn't recommend a Tom Tom unit. Had one in my patrol car for a few months and the user interface was difficult to navigate IMO. Documentation with the unit was only a 4 page brochure and that's it. It also had a difficult to locating specific residential addresses, it would take me to the closest block number instead of the house number. Ultimately, it became a victim of Harvey. Tom Tom offered me 25% off on a new one but I'm going to try the Nuvi next.

Been using an older Garmin Nuvi in my patrol car for the last few years and it's been great. I like the ability to tap on the vehicle and get the street and approximate block number.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I like the ability to tap on the vehicle and get the street and approximate block number.
    The newer ones will also help to direct you to the nearest hospital or fuel.

Mrs. bought a 2018 Accord last week.

I must say, I’ve been very impressed how it integrates her iPhone with the OEM screen with CarPlay.

So far, we are 10 for 10 speaking an address to Siri, then having the Apple maps appear on the screen. It works really well.

Waze, Google Maps, etc. are great right up until you get an incoming call at the same time you're being directed to make a turn or take an exit. I bought a Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S a couple months ago in order to have a dedicated solution for longer trips. That 6.95" screen is a beast! Almost too big, honestly. I'm currently using a friction mount with the thing sitting on my dash, and it does obstruct my view a bit. Also not a fan of having that thing flying around the cabin if I get in a wreck. But, I like being able to stash the unit in the glove box and hide the mount under the seat, leaving no suction cup mark on the windshield that's a dead giveaway that there are probably electronics worth stealing inside. As for navigation itself, the unit works well. On major roads, it gives you enhanced lane guidance with visuals of the signage you'll see, which is a nice touch.

You can also link to your phone and have the GPS display notifications (and read things aloud, like text messages). It can do speakerphone for calls, as well (though I disabled that feature as I get better audio quality using my car's speakers).

Note: I still run Waze on my iPhone for traffic and hazard notifications.

I've also tried the iPad/RAM Mount/external GPS route, but found it too cumbersome.

User Tag List