Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car GPS recommendations

Car GPS recommendations

While trying to get home from southern Miami-Dade county last night it became evident that I cannot drive and navigate in the dark, and my wife cannot navigate at all. Any recommendations on car GPS units?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    While trying to get home from southern Miami-Dade county last night it became evident that I cannot drive and navigate in the dark, and my wife cannot navigate at all. Any recommendations on car GPS units?
    Smart phone has gps apps and maps.
    Your already spending $$ on the cell plan why not use it instead of purchasing a separate unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Garmin Nuvi.

“So easy a Caveman could do it.”

I forget how many Nuvis I’ve had. My current one has free lifetime map updates, a useful feature. They are stupid cheap at Costco. I have one in the truck mounted on a Keenu Airframe.

Kenu Airframe Pro | Vent Car Phone Mount | Android Car Mount and iPhone Car Holder, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus/8, iPhone 7 Plus/7, 6s Plus/6s, 6 Plus/6 Car Accessories, Samsung Galaxy Phone Stand | Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q433TL..._kIZeAbXSQ9W6S

Site Supporter
    I’ll give another vote for the Garmin Nuvi. The lane assist feature is great in cities like Boston where exits can be anywhere.

I bought a refurbished one here: https://g.factoryoutletstore.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Garmin Nuvi.

“So easy a Caveman could do it.”

I forget how many Nuvis I’ve had. My current one has free lifetime map updates, a useful feature
    I have a Garmin Nuvi. I like having navigation separate from my cell phone. If you have a cell plan that allows you to use a boatload of data, YMMV.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I second the smart phone. I used Google for awhile, then purchased a top of the line Garmin for around $300. Had voice command, and sounded great based on the specs. I found both Google and Garmin can be wrong, but when Garmin is wrong, it is really, really wrong. Also saying "ok Google ,take me to xyz" was much easier than going through the Garmin menu. Perhaps it is my experience with one vs. lack thereof with the other, but in my opinion Google gets the job done faster and more accurately than Garmin. In any given day I may make up to 20 stops, and just found Google easier.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I too like having a separate nav unit. As I have two I phones (personal and G), I run the G phone for nav (WAZE app btw). If I only had one phone and wanted a separate unit, there is GARMIN, and then there is everybody else. I am sure a good one can be had cheap this weekend. Make sure it includes free updates. YMMV greatly.

I'm using Waze exclusively now (and deleting every Police notification I get!) - it works great for basic navigation, and the real time traffic stuff is spot on (which, frankly, is my major need living/working in NY). Having said that, I DEARLY miss the lane assist from the Nuvi I used to run. Not an issue all that frequently, but it sure helps some places.

The down side to the GPS in urban areas (especially dense/tall building urban areas) is when the signal is cut off, you're floundering. My Nuvi was worthless in/around Manhattan, but Waze works well.

I switch between Apple maps and Waze pretty frequently. Both offer pretty good features. And both work well with Spotify, which is what I use instead of a radio nowadays. Neither interfere with making calls using a hands free device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    WAZE on a mobile phone. Essential for the Atlanta commuter!

User Tag List