Thread: Thoughts on Sphinx SDP Duty

Thoughts on Sphinx SDP Duty

I have been wanting to try a Sphinx for some time and finally gave up and ordered a SDP Duty today. Anyone have one? I have researched a lot but never saw one in person so your thoughts please.

Great triggers, no MIM, all forged/billet parts inside. You’ll love it. It’s going to feel like a custom made pistol. Slide feels like it’s on ball bearings and the trigger is magnificent and does not need a thing. Solid smooth pulls, crisp break (like glass) and a very short reset.

Don’t want to spoil much else. Just keep in mind they fit tight so break it in with hot ammo. First few hundred rounds run 124gr and +p if you can. Make sure it is well oiled/greased and run the piss out of it during break in. Also wouldn’t hurt to rack the slide a hundred times. They are tight fitting pistols and some will break it in with 115gr Champion/Chinamart special ammo and get some kind of failure. They like hot ammo in the beginning. After 500 rounds you can run cheap crap through it.

Have fun.

Site Supporter
    How's the trigger reach on those? CZ seemed a little long for me... any better with the Sphinx?

Thanks for the info. I have several CZs and really like them so I just had to order a Sphinx.

I have a Sphinx SDP Compact. It is the 15 round version. I have not shot it much. It is accurate and the single action is nice. The double action has a very strange “hitch” when the trigger breaks. I’m not sure how to explain it. I have to have my grip just right and the trigger press just right or it will throw the shot. The DA is much more challenging for me to shoot than a Beretta or Sig. It could just be me or my particular gun.

It is also sprung very tight.

Do we have to distinguish between Sphinx pistols built in Switzerland versus the newer ones built in the U.S.? Not a troll...I've never held (or even seen in person) a U.S.-made version.

The Swiss-built example I shot was very high quality, and quite precise at distance.

The Sphinx is what would happen if you asked the Swiss to make a CZ-75... which is basically exactly what it is.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 11-21-2017 at 02:09 AM.

The Sphinx SDP is a superb gun, and now that Sphinx Switzerland went out of business, is likely to become a future collectors item.

A very interesting difference between the Sphinx and CZ's is that the Sphinx has an integral ~10mm thick recoil buffer built into the frame. Very smooth gun even with +p+ loads:

Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Do we have to distinguish between Sphinx pistols built in Switzerland versus the newer ones built in the U.S.? Not a troll...I've never held (or even seen in person) a U.S.-made version.
    It is an important distinction. So now they are really Kriss SDP’s. And they don’t sell parts. You have to send the pistol into Sphinx. With the close of the Switzerland op, well read between the lines. If it’s going to be a range toy, or a collectors piece, that’s one thing. But “duty” or ccw, the company behind the product means as much as the company itself. I had several subs and compacts, all Swiss made. When I sold them I knew they’d increase in value but there were just limitations with the platform. They are outstanding pistols, at least the Swiss versions. The subcompact is especially fantastic for a ccw due to capacity and shootability. But I’d rather have the PX4 sub for a number of reasons.

I picked up my SDP today and found that both Mags that came with it are very tight. Nether mag will drop free with one mag dropping about a sixteenth of an inch and the other not dropping at all. Both need a good tug to remove. I tried my CZ75 Mags and they worked fine so I’m not sure what’s going on. If I can stay awake tomorrow after Turkey overload I will break it down and try to find the problem. They are sticking at the very top and I think I may have some out of spec mags. Anyone see this before? Thanks

User Tag List