Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Privateer Leather

Here's the little outward flare I added.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

After wearing the holster/pistol around for a few more days I've found the problem is back with the sweat guard. The position of the holster against my body combined with wearing it under a motorcycle jacket and/or sitting against it partially while driving have molded the guard back in.

I might send the holster back to Wes and have him trim the guard off or I might just continue to work with it and push the guard out of the way a little as a reholster. I haven't decided yet just what route to take.

Maybe have it reshaped so that it comes in under and ensures engagement of the safety? Or a piece sewn on that does that?

Just spitballing.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-14-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Maybe have it reshaped so that it comes in under and ensures engagement of the safety? Or a piece sewn on that does that?

Just spitballing.
    I wonder about having a piece of reinforcement sewn onto the sweat guard. Would that help stiffen the tab and keep it from getting rolled in?

Ideally I don't want the holster cut as this will interfere with the edge work and probably never be made to look right. Granted function should take priority over form but I still want to keep the holster's lines and craftsmanship.

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-15-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Maybe somehow epoxy some kydex on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder about having a piece of reinforcement sewn onto the sweat guard. Would that help stiffen the tab and keep it from getting rolled in?

Ideally I don't want the holster cut as this will interfere with the edge work and probably never be made to look right. Granted function should take priority over form but I still want to keep the holster's lines and craftsmanship.

That's my line of thought. A reinforcement piece sewn onto the sweat guard, on the gun side, that is shaped to ride under and conform to the safety in the on-safe position, and that is the same width as the safety lever.

In my mind's eye, that would provide a... "channel", if you will...for the tip of the safety lever and keep it from hitting the sweat shield. I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to add, and would require no cutting on the existing holster...just sewing.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Maybe somehow epoxy some kydex on the inside?
    It would probably be better to sandwich a piece inside two bits of leather. At least it would look cleaner and more professional that way.

Wes offers a piece of sewn in Kydex to reinforce the mouth. Maybe he can add a sweat guard stiffener as another option.

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Here's my Hungarian clone accompanied by my Privateer leather gear. The Hungarian still has the flat military-style safety so there's no issue with snagging during reholster.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nice gun. Nice leather. Wes is a talented guy...and so good to work with.

Wes (Privateer) makes beautiful holsters; detailing and finish are truly top tier. I have 4 holsters on order from him now with thoughts of adding a few more for a new new order. His wait times are respectable but as soon as people find out the level of quality that he builds, he’s going to get very busy. He specializes in Browning HP holsters and has a number of very enticing extreme high rise OWB holsters that no one else really makes (exception being the Sparks 60tk).

User Tag List