Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low light & flashlight work

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    The last AO I worked was triple canopy brush that was crazy thick...once I got a 1000 lumen Surefire Fury my life was made much easier. The lumens, throw and beam pattern really cut through the brush, grass, cacti and vines and allowed me to see folks tucked waaaay back in there.
    Did you find that lesser lights were giving a lot of bounce back as well?

What do you think is the most important? Lumens? How tight the beam? Or is it really just a light needs what the fury provides?

I use a bunch of lights on duty all SF, a 320/15, a couple 500’s and a 1,000 as well as a Petzl headlamp on occasion. At night, for me with my eyes (kind of light sensitive from lazek 10 years ago) I have never had a problem with splash back...when I’ve been searching in dense brush, more lumens are better. In a structure 500 seems fine but even having used the 1000 indoors there were no ill effects for me, but I try not to look directly at the hot spot...use the spill. I don’t know from beam patterns but the Fury family leaves nothing to be desired for me. But as always YRMV.

Alternating where you are shining the light in thick brush like AMC just said is absolutely how you do that...
    Last edited by TCB; 12-02-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Vertically and horizontally displacing the light as you move can also work to see past brush or other obstacles, such as furniture or boxes indoors. Intermittent lighting, and changing the angle, throws the light into areas where just one angle produces shadows.
    Three of the nights, after the shooting stopped due to noise / time issues, (having been shown it) the students were doing it while searching three different environments for their classmates.

That sounds like a great class and excellent use of the time when shooting has to stop. I'll have to keep that in mind. Tons of good information. Needless to say I really like this thread!

As mentioned, very timely thread. We are, as of last week, issuing WML’s on pistols and I’m probably going to set an order after June to finish outfitting our AR’s. We are currently using TLR-1s for pistols and the Safariland 6360’s for holsters for patrol and Detectives got an additional 6378.

While teaching the first class last week I noticed a huge gap on the mouth of the holster and pulled a detective in front of class. Saying it now before I get flamed...all weapons and people had been triple checked for ammo prior to coming into class. That said, I stuck my pinkie finger into the gap on the 6378 and pulled the trigger. I couldn’t do it on the 6360’s.

On Thursday I pulled the 6378 holsters back from the Detectives and we ordered the 7378’s which do not exhibit that issue.

My class was just a “how to” beginner level class. Most of the class dealt with what you can and can not do (policy), drawing and reholstering, and live fire drills. What’s needed in our future is another class which deals with using the WMLs in conjunction with a handheld light. Guess I need to start Googling for Instructor level classes. 😁

User Tag List