Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.56 @ 750 yards

Site Supporter
    I've not messed with 77gr stuff since moving south (I stumbled into a thousand rounds of 5.56 Black Hills 77gr/Mk262 before I moved), but the 69gr SMK Federal GMM I had was able to put hits on USPSA sized silhouettes at 500 out to 715-725 and plates of a size I can't remember. This was out of a 18" 1-7.7 Krieger barrel.

The one thing I heard (haven't experienced it myself, this is just hearsay on my part) on a P&S Modcast was there are inconsistencies from lot to lot on the IMI Razor Core stuff. I don't know what the details about that were, but I'd like to find out more, but it seemed like if it was a good lot it was banging. I've got a few hundred rounds myself to experiment should I ever actually get to the range again.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I've not messed with 77gr stuff since moving south (I stumbled into a thousand rounds of 5.56 Black Hills 77gr/Mk262 before I moved), but the 69gr SMK Federal GMM I had was able to put hits on USPSA sized silhouettes at 500 out to 715-725 and plates of a size I can't remember. This was out of a 18" 1-7.7 Krieger barrel.

The one thing I heard (haven't experienced it myself, this is just hearsay on my part) on a P&S Modcast was there are inconsistencies from lot to lot on the IMI Razor Core stuff. I don't know what the details about that were, but I'd like to find out more, but it seemed like if it was a good lot it was banging. I've got a few hundred rounds myself to experiment should I ever actually get to the range again.
    I believe that was the 77gr Gold Medal Match, sd varied by average of 43 or 63. The 175gr 308 was in the 6-8 sd range, shooting lights out.

The IMI Razorcore was talked about very accurate and low sd.
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mat...sts/e/51666936

I believe this is the podcast, MarkM from M4 is on there as well discussing his 77gr load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I believe that was the 77gr Gold Medal Match, sd varied by average of 43 or 63. The 175gr 308 was in the 6-8 sd range, shooting lights out.

The IMI Razorcore was talked about very accurate and low sd.
    https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/mat...sts/e/51666936

I believe this is the podcast, MarkM from M4 is on there as well discussing his 77gr load.

Thought it was something along those lines. I think it was one of the more recent ones (121) where Adam from KAC mentioned inconsistencies from lot to lot. Anecdotal evidence though, as I'm not sure of the specifics. I've got a few hundred rounds of it, but no place to make use of it right now so I can't contribute much.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    Thought it was something along those lines. I think it was one of the more recent ones (121) where Adam from KAC mentioned inconsistencies from lot to lot. Anecdotal evidence though, as I'm not sure of the specifics. I've got a few hundred rounds of it, but no place to make use of it right now so I can't contribute much.

You may be correct, quick google search for P&S and reloading popped that one up.

AKA: SkyLine1

Bear in mind that there is a specification for Mk262 and only one manufacturer makes it. Regardless of packaging, others load 77 SMKs and may get decent results but they are not Mk262. (See also 193, 855, 318, and others.)
    Last edited by ST911; 11-22-2017 at 09:38 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Bear in mind that there is a specification for Mk262 and only one manufacturer makes it. Regardless of packaging, others load 77 SMKs and may get decent results but they are not Mk262. (See also 193, 855, 318, and others.)
    Understood, it's much easier to refer to Mk262 type ammo than 77 SMK 5.56.

The IMI "Razorcore" has been great for me as a low price alternative to BH Mk262. At 50-65c / round it's cheap compared to just about everything else besides 55/62 FMJ bulk ammo.

I have had great luck with RL-15 and Hornady's 75 gr BTHP out to 600 yards.

User Tag List