Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 @ 750 yards

5.56 @ 750 yards

Looks like 3GN will be hosting some long range matches in my area next year. One of the ranges is limited to 500, but another not too far away will go out to the full 750 yards.

Targets at that range will be "big", like 18x28 plates, 16" circle, etc.

Due to range limitations I've never pushed past 600 with my 5.56(or any rifle for that matter...). The calculators show that my current 16" + Mk262 combo will go transsonic around 675-700 yards. Velocity at 750 will be ~ 1150-1175 fps depending on weather.

My question is: what should I expect to happen? I've seen 55gr rounds go completely erratic at 600. Will the same thing happen with 77 SMKs? I don't need pinpoint accuracy, but I do need to be able to hit a silhouette.

I don't particularly want to invest in a new barrel or caliber for this game. The current combo works great out to 600 yards and I'm happy with that. There is some possibility that the newer Black Hills 5.56 TMK loads will push a bit farther out before going transsonic, but they are awfully spendy at ~$1.10 per round and I don't reload.

5.56 @ 750 yards

I’ve had great results out to 900 with 77 Berger OTM. My load is transonic stable.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-19-2017 at 11:03 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

BHA's Mk262 and the 5.56 77 TMK are GTG at 750 and far beyond. The 5.56 69 TMK is pretty impressive. You could also try the 68 OTM (new or reman) for a less expensive option. 750 isn't far for any of those rounds. I don't have any trouble keeping BHA 55 FMJ and JSP on half-Es or so to 600 with my 1/8 twist.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I load 77gr tmk at 2504fps out of a 18” barrel AR15 and have solid hits on 12” gong at 750. The IMI razorcore 77gr or Blackhills 77gr will get you there once you find your dope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

My experience with the 77 Nosler Custom Competition has been very good out to 1030 yards. A good friend was hitting milk jugs at that distance with his 18" AR. Also try the 77 TMK.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I load 77gr tmk at 2504fps out of a 18” barrel AR15 and have solid hits on 12” gong at 750. The IMI razorcore 77gr or Blackhills 77gr will get you there once you find your dope.

If you have to shoot factory the IMI stuff is pretty fantastic, you could do a lot worse. @JM Campbell, how are you liking the TMK's any really difference? I got away from using 5.56 shortly after they really started to become available but am still really curious about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    If you have to shoot factory the IMI stuff is pretty fantastic, you could do a lot worse. @JM Campbell, how are you liking the TMK's any really difference? I got away from using 5.56 shortly after they really started to become available but am still really curious about them.
    I have found you can push them to those distances with less powder since then the smk, they are longer. You save a tiny bit of powder but I would have no problem with the smk. Accuracy wise I think it’s mute unless your shooting in some good wind. I have followed MarkM on M4 and pretty much mimic his old 77gr load with H332 because it meters very well on my Dillon 550b. I do want to play with some Bergers in the future and the 80gr Sierra if it ever comes to market.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Campbell View Post
    I have found you can push them to those distances with less powder since then the smk, they are longer. You save a tiny bit of powder but I would have no problem with the smk. Accuracy wise I think it’s mute unless your shooting in some good wind. I have followed MarkM on M4 and pretty much mimic his old 77gr load with H332 because it meters very well on my Dillon 550b. I do want to play with some Bergers in the future and the 80gr Sierra if it ever comes to market.

What kind of accuracy are you getting from the markm (I think you mean H322, not H332) load?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    What kind of accuracy are you getting from the markm (I think you mean H322, not H332) load?
    Yes H322 (fat fingered the iPhone).
    Right about 3/4 moa at 100yd.

I’m running a Faxon big gunner 18” rifle gas barrel.

My buddies is a Faxon 416r stainless match heavy barrel that is fluted. Also 18” with rifle gas.
    His is 3/4 moa with 75-100 rds down the barrel.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the IMI Mk262 should work. Thanks to a forum member I jumped on the midway sale and just got 600 rounds at 50c per round. That should keep me stocked for the first few matches next year.

User Tag List