Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USBP Agent beat to death in Van Horn, Tx. (I know him)

I’m actually in the application process for USBP in that neck of the woods (NM and West TX), and very shocked by this. While I get people wanting a better life, that is what you are going to do to get it? Beat two L/E agents with a rock. I’m sure certain civil leaders will defend them, which pisses me off even more.

I originally wasn’t looking into USBP, but NJ is getting too screwed up to live in. Withdrew from the NJSP application process, which was probably the best thing I could have done... not being stuck in this state for 25 years, with pay freezes that nobody talks about. USBP is always on USAJobs, as is CBP. ICE and TSA are, as well... but wouldn’t want to do either of those. I do have a CBP position in Houlton, ME on the table, but feel like I could make a better difference going USBP.

Thoughts/prayers out to the agents and their families.

THIS is why I always have a loaded rifle immediately at hand and a loaded handgun on me at all times when I'm down that way.
    Attacks like this aren't isolated incidents. They happen to LE, ranchers, oilfield workers, people in rest areas, and others regularly.
    It just doesn't get reported, and if it does it's reported as just an "assault" with no mention of it being related to cross border illegals.
    If you have something they want they'll either steal it or beat you with rocks (or shoot you) and take it.

When I'm out south of I10 I don't fuck around.
    You avoid unknown people and if anyone walks up on you out in remote areas have a gun in your hand.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My prayers for the dead and injured.

I know the border areas have always been violent (Apaches, Pancho Villa, etc), but it does bug me that in the 21st century you risk being murdered to travel there. I've always wanted to go to southern AZ (Organ Pipe, Camino del Diablo, etc) but having to take a fire team on vacation doesn't get it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I own property in the vicinity of where the killers probably crossed Hwy. 90 (just west of FM1523 in the old Lobo, Tx. townsite vicinity).
    The route these illegals were on is a known smuggling corridor.
    It follows a series of springs and canyons from the border, across Hwy. 90 about 13 miles south of Van Horn follows more springs and canyons and then hits I-10 14 miles east of Van Horn.
    They either get picked up at I-10 or head north paralleling 54 to the Dell City area.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-20-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I own property in the vicinity of where the killers probably crossed Hwy. 90 (just west of FM1523 in the old Lobo, Tx. townsite vicinity).
    It follows a series of springs and canyons from the border, across Hwy. 90 about 13 miles south of Van Horn follows more springs and canyons and then hits I-10 14 miles east of Van Horn.
    They either get picked up at I-10 or head north paralleling 54 to the Dell City area.
    JodyH, I hike that area every year. Is it getting worse?

I either do Guadalupe or Big Bend. Last month I crossed over to Ojinaga, MX, but not sure I would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    JodyH, I hike that area every year. Is it getting worse?

I either do Guadalupe or Big Bend. Last month I crossed over to Ojinaga, MX, but not sure I would do it again.
    Same as it's always been as long as I can remember.

Guadalupe Mountains and Big Bend are both really safe, terrain's too rugged and there's just too many people wandering around.
    Big Bend Ranch State Park can be iffy during the winter, the area between Mexico and El Paso to Van Horn to Marfa to Presidio is the wild west.
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-20-2017 at 10:16 AM.

** Double posted **
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-20-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Very sorry to hear about this @JodyH. My condolences to you, him and his family. God speed and good hunting.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The entire border in that sector is a “known smuggling corridor”.

RIP... Hope that USBP is successful in locating those involved.

JodyH, sorry for the loss of your friend.

User Tag List