Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lem question

Lem question

This might be better suited for the armorers section, but this section seems to get more traffic. If it needs to be moved then go ahead and move it. My apologies.

I’m considering converting my USP and 45c to a lem variant. However I have a question about it. Is it possible for a mechanical failure to cause the gun to fire without pulling the trigger? What I mean is like on a Glock if the fpb were to malfunction and the striker were to release it would fire the round. (I’m aware of how highly unlikely that would be with glock parts that have not been modified) Is anything like that possible with the lem? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    I have wondered this myself since the main spring in the LEM is pretty much fully cocked. The conclusion I came to was that it was safe since is seems impossible for the hammer spring to impart power to the hammer until the cocking portion of the hammer is cocked and connected to the tensioned portion of the hammer.

I have a poor understanding of how this actually goes down mechanically and would love to find a video that describes it.

If anyone understands the technicalities and can describe the properly I would love to read it.

There's a block inside the frame's internal parts that doesn't allow the hammer to travel fully forward unless the trigger is pulled. This is in addition to the firing pin block.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I have wondered this myself since the main spring in the LEM is pretty much fully cocked. The conclusion I came to was that it was safe since is seems impossible for the hammer spring to impart power to the hammer until the cocking portion of the hammer is cocked and connected to the tensioned portion of the hammer.

I have a poor understanding of how this actually goes down mechanically and would love to find a video that describes it.

If anyone understands the technicalities and can describe the properly I would love to read it.
    I don’t have a very good understanding of it either but the more I read about it the more I’m interested in it. I’ve spent a few days trying to google for an answer and can’t seem to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    There's a block inside the frame's internal parts that doesn't allow the hammer to travel fully forward unless the trigger is pulled. This is in addition to the firing pin block.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I didn’t know that. That’s good info to have.

Hammertime

I made a video demonstrating the hammer block. It works the same on the P30 DA/SA guns and is where the hammer falls when you decock.

In addition there is a firing pin block on the slide that is pushed up with the trigger pull.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-19-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

I made a video demonstrating the hammer block. It works the same on the P30 DA/SA guns and is where the hammer falls when you decock.

In addition there is a firing pin block on the slide that is pushed up with the trigger pull.
    That’s pretty reassuring to actually see. Thanks for posting that. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by zart312 View Post
    That’s pretty reassuring to actually see. Thanks for posting that. Really appreciate it.

And thank YOU for posting the original question. I always assumed the LEM was safe in this manner, but it's always nice to see verification of these things

Hammertime

Lem question

To address the original question, for a LEM to fire without a trigger pull:

1. The sear interface would have to fail releasing the cocking piece.
    2. The hammer block would have to fail allowing the hammer to hit the firing pin.
    3. The firing pin block would have to fail allowing the firing pin to hit the primer.

All simultaneously, and very very unlikely.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 11-19-2017 at 10:33 PM.

4. The cocking piece would free-wheel inside the lowered external hammer until catching on it which would only leave a fraction of an inch in which to accelerate before being stopped by the slide and firing pin. Almost certainly not enough room to reach a speed capable of torching a primer.

User Tag List