Thread: Project: loaner/kids hunting rifle

Project: loaner/kids hunting rifle

On occasion I have taken a friend or family member deer hunting who does not own a suitable rifle. I do own multiple rifles, however the trick has been having one that I wouldn’t mind if it were dropped in the woods, while also being simple enough for someone with limited experience to operate (ruling out AR’s). I have often thought that a synthetic stocked Model 7 in .308 with a 2-7 scope would be just the ticket. Our shots on deer are typically in the 50/150 yd range. Cost of such a rifle just to sit as a spare, however, has always been a roadblock.

Then, I remembered I had this AAC/NEF Handi Rifle in 300 Blackout. Not being a big enough fan of the Blackout to dedicate an AR to it, the Handi seemed like a great way to get into what seems to be a great short/mid range deer cartridge. Initially I had it set up with a red dot and my AAC EVO-9 shooting subs only. The problem with this of course is the 220 gr bullet drop after 50 yds, the questionable terminal performance of a subsonic bullet, and the lack of magnification. The way I had it set up was great for kids on 50yd and closer shots, but those are never a guarantee where we hunt and trying to limit young hunters that way is sure to lead to a lot of seen but not shot deer and frustration.

Name:  C4A4B52D-042D-45C2-8FBC-66F78A3CE7AA.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  94.7 KB

After bouncing some ideas off @karmapolice, I decided to change this rifle up to make it really effective for what I wanted it to do. I swapped the red dot for a Leupold 2-7. I took off the Evo-9 and installed a 51-T Mount so I can use my SDN6 when I want. I also added a Triad stock pack to raise the comb and add on-board ammo, and I added a Proctor Sling mounted for easy front of body muzzle down carry. I’m pleased with the way it turned out and I can’t wait to get it sighted in and put some meat in the freezer with it. As you can see compared to my 10.3” AR, it’s a very “Handi” package.

Name:  1465EBE9-3258-49F3-B323-4820EC00F16B.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  F8905053-D4CB-4108-8109-E9FFB89B8582.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  100.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ASH556; 11-18-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I love me some H&R/NEF single shots.

User Tag List