Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdon M9 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don't know much about Beretta's at all, except for what I've been reading here, so here's a perhaps silly question: why do so many people (at least here) as well as Wilson Combat want to put the steel guide rod back in the pistol?
    This is the 1911 GI plug vs. Full length guide rod. It boils down to preference and the way someone thinks it ought to be. Many just feel its better with no real reason, some have valid reasons, and mostly peiple seem to just like it. It's perceived value.

I dont mind either way.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 11-19-2017 at 04:56 PM.

It's simply a question of aesthetics an perceived value. The original OEM steel guide rod worked just fine-unless you dropped it, presumably when installed in the gun with the slide locked back; if it fell muzzle-down (or guide rod down) on a hard surface, it could bend, potentially inhibiting up, or slowing the slide reciprocation. The polymer replacement worked just as well, and was "GI proof."

The Wilson Combat fluted guide rod is nice, but it really is of absolutely zero operational consequence which guide rod you used (unless you're notably fumble-fingered, then you really might want the polymer one).

While I personally prefer a metal one (purely on aesthetics grounds), I had a polymer one in another Beretta and it worked just fine.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-19-2017 at 05:25 PM.

It just seems cheaper to me, PX4 with plastic is fine, a 9X should have metal parts...

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    It's simply a question of aesthetics an perceived value. The original OEM steel guide rod worked just fine-unless you dropped it, presumably when installed in the gun with the slide locked back; if it fell muzzle-down (or guide rod down) on a hard surface, it could bend, potentially inhibiting up, or slowing the slide reciprocation. The polymer replacement worked just as well, and was "GI proof."

The Wilson Combat fluted guide rod is nice, but it really is of absolutely zero operational consequence which guide rod you used (unless you're notably fumble-fingered, then you really might want the polymer one).

While I personally prefer a metal one (purely on aesthetics grounds), I had a polymer one in another Beretta and it worked just fine.

Best, Jon
    If dropped under the same circumstances wouldn't the plastic guide rod also bend? In fact I would think it would get bent easier than a steel rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    If dropped under the same circumstances wouldn't the plastic guide rod also bend? In fact I would think it would get bent easier than a steel rod?
    The plastic ones bend, but the don’t take a set. They’ll bend back enough that the gun will still run just fine.

The metal ones bend, and prevent the slide from closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    it adds a bit of weight to the muzzle end.

pick one you like.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    The plastic ones bend, but the don’t take a set. They’ll bend back enough that the gun will still run just fine.

The metal ones bend, and prevent the slide from closing.
    And unicorns could eat the plastic rod. I not saying that no one has ever bent an M9 guide rod, but of all the stuff I've heard of breaking on 92/M9s that is not one of them. I'm putting a metal rod in my M9 because all the others have them. Because Boris the Blade said it's better. Because I'm the rare guy who likes FL guide rods in 1911s. Not because I think the plastic one will break.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I put metal guide rods in all my 90-series guns because adding a few ounces to the front of the gun makes my stupid brain think the gun shoots flatter.

Vending Machine Operator
    I use the Wilson Combat fluted guide rod in all my 92s because as noted, it makes the gun shoot a little bit flatter, reduces the already light recoil impulse by just a tiny bit more thanks to physics doing what physics does, and since it has the fluting it retains the sand and debris anti-binding properties of the plastic rod.

I think a 92 with a plastic rod will run just fine, but I prefer the feel of the slide and the characteristics of the shooting with the fluted metal rod and with the debris channels cut in it I don't have reliability concerns.

I will not deny that there's a small aesthetic component. It also makes the slide operation feel, for lack of a better word, more positive.

I don't mind the weight increase given that I'm already rocking walnut grips, a TLR-1HL, and full 18-round Mec-Gars. My 92A1 is set up as a home defense pistol, my 92FS is set up as a law office defense pistol and neither is not meant to be light, mobile, or concealable.

All theoretical of course since the current home/office security are AR platforms or G17/G19s, but I enjoy using my other 20% of range time to keep proficient with my Berettas.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Guys, if you prefer and use the WC fluted guide rod, great. If you use the BUSA fluted polymer guide rod, great. If you use the BUSA heavier steel guide rod (with various finishes), great. A guide rod is an inert structure providing a stable/stabilizing structure for the recoil spring in its compression and reciprocation. I STRONGLY doubt it has any effect on shootability, or need/provided beneficial lubrication, or provides any beneficial debris shedding functions. Bill Wilson himself admitted in discussing the Brigadier Tactical when it came out that he came up with his basically because it was one of the cool components he could add to up the WC component count on the gun and not have a deleterious effect on IDPA divisional standing.

Basically, it's a pride of ownership/cool thing/choice, not one with any significant operational effect.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I put metal guide rods in all my 90-series guns because adding a few ounces to the front of the gun makes my stupid brain think the gun shoots flatter.
    It kind of seemed like my M9L was a bit snappier, but my steel rod Berettas have different grips and recoil springs, so who knows.

I put another 200+ through mine this morning. Everything works, no failures, with some reloads and 147gr JHP. Shot a 96xx on The Test cold.

In the other thread I posted about removing the extended mag release because I dropped a mag while shooting. Well, with a standard release I did the exact same thing this morning. I like the skinny grips...a lot. But if this is going to be a thing I'm going to have to swap them out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List