Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdon M9 Review

Langdon M9 Review

Put 50 rounds through my Landgon M9 today. Pretty much what you'd expect from a 92/M9, I really like the front sight orange paint, better than the Testers orange I have on my 92.

I had one failure to go into battery, oddly similar to what I've been having with my much older 92, but I noticed the bullet was seated really deep into the case, maybe 3+ mm, the gun would not feed it at all, which is probably good thing.

If I was going to buy a plain 92G, it has all the proper accompaniments. Maybe a different rear, but the M9 sight blacked out works well enough.

It's been a long time since I shot a new 92 without a trigger job, and I have to say it's pretty good stock with the D-hammer spring.

A few pictures if anyone is interested. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbqICNNl...by=rolltide92g

The only detractor from the gun is the plastic guide rod, hard to believe the military accepted that!

Ernest Langdon did a great job with this gun, if only all Beretta's came dressed like this one.
    Last edited by Terry; 11-18-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Glocks 1-3 gen have plastic guide rods and they are uber reliable
    Last edited by dwcopple; 11-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Put 50 rounds through my Landgon M9 today. Pretty much what you'd expect from a 92/M9, I really like the front sight orange paint, better than the Testers orange I have on my 92.

I had one failure to go into battery, oddly similar to what I've been having with my much older 92, but I noticed the bullet was seated really deep into the case, maybe 3+ mm, the gun would not feed it at all, which is probably good thing.

If I was going to buy a plain 92G, it has all the proper accompaniments. Maybe a different rear, but the M9 sight blacked out works well enough.

It's been a long time since I shot a new 92 without a trigger job, and I have to say it's pretty good stock with the D-hammer spring.

A few pictures if anyone is interested. https://www.instagram.com/p/BbqICNNl...by=rolltide92g

The only detractor from the gun is the plastic guide rod, hard to believe the military accepted that!

Ernest Langdon did a great job with this gun, if only all Beretta's came dressed like this one.
    Interestingly, the original M9s did not have the plastic guide rod. I was conducting an archeological expediditon in our armory a while ago and discovered that we still had in inventory several OG M9s with steel guide rods.

my 1988 vintage 92F (not FS) has all steel parts. think i'll try to convert it to a G next year and swap the grips out for some Wilson G10s. still has the sucky snowman sights.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Interestingly, the original M9s did not have the plastic guide rod. I was conducting an archeological expediditon in our armory a while ago and discovered that we still had in inventory several OG M9s with steel guide rods.
    Yeah, they started with steel and went to the polymer. I'm not sure of the reasoning. I do know that if a steel one gets bent it can provent the slide from moving. I also know that the plastic ones have grooves that can help retain a dab of oil. So I think the polymer one is fine, but I do understand that many folks don't prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    my 1988 vintage 92F (not FS) has all steel parts. think i'll try to convert it to a G next year and swap the grips out for some Wilson G10s. still has the sucky snowman sights.
    And I learned to shoot on the snowman sights... So I kind of like them. I really like Heine Straight 8s too. They just seem right. Although, I'm finding I also like a black out rear with a bright dot on the front sight. I may look into a FO/ Black out combo in the future. But even so, I think the snowman sights are pretty intuitive.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 11-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Yeah, they started with steel and went to the polymer. I'm not sure of the reasoning. I do know that if a steel one gets bent it can provent the slide from moving. I also know that the plastic ones have grooves that can help retain a dab of oil. So I think the polymer one is fine, but I do understand that many folks don't prefer it.

And I learned to shoot on the snowman sights... So I kind of like them. I really like Heine Straight 8s too. They just seem right. Although, I'm finding I also like a black out rear with a bright dot on the front sight. I may look into a FO/ Black out combo in the future. But even so, I think the snowman sights are pretty intuitive.

-Cory
    Black out rear with bright front dot works pretty well on the Berettas with the fixed front sight in my experience. Burned a ton of rounds through them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

-Cory
    From my understanding the switch to the plastic guide rod was largely because it works just as well for its intended purpose and is a hell of a lot cheaper when you're ordering them in the millions.

I'm liking the m9 the more I look at it. I'm a lifelong beretta fan and this is a worthwhile addition to the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    From my understanding the switch to the plastic guide rod was largely because it works just as well for its intended purpose and is a hell of a lot cheaper when you're ordering them in the millions.
    I don't know much about Beretta's at all, except for what I've been reading here, so here's a perhaps silly question: why do so many people (at least here) as well as Wilson Combat want to put the steel guide rod back in the pistol?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I don't know much about Beretta's at all, except for what I've been reading here, so here's a perhaps silly question: why do so many people (at least here) as well as Wilson Combat want to put the steel guide rod back in the pistol?
    that's the way it was made originally. it adds a bit of weight to the muzzle end. tougher than plastic. sets you apart from the unwashed masses with plastic guide rods. gives you something to brag about at the range.

pick one you like.

User Tag List