Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PF Cultured Book Club Thread

PF Cultured Book Club Thread

Since the Mods here can’t be bothered (kidding ) here is a thread for discussing books.

This summer is visited Astoria OR. Prior to, I read:

Astoria: Astor and Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Tale of Ambition and Survival on the Early American Frontier https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062218301..._awgeAbDFP352K

Excellent story about a little know period of westward expansion.

Rich, if you haven't already read it, "Across the Wide Missouri" by Bernard DeVoto is a classic.

Other worthy reads are "A Life Wild and Perilous" by Robert M. Utley, "Life In The Far West" by Ruxton and "Wah-to-yah and the Taos Trail" by Garrard.

For those interested in the tools of the time:

"Firearms, Traps & Tools Of the Mountain Men" by Russell.

Nice idea for a thread...though I'm not so sure about the "cultured" part, Pearl.

So the general theme is books about culture?

A dense, but well written book, by one of my college professors, Dr. Mariah Wade - The Native Americans of the Texas Edwards Plateau (a solid read for anyone living in Central Texas, in my opinion)

Another great one of early exploration of the Americas (particularly the south and Texas) - The La Salle Expedition of Texas - The Journal of Henri Joutel by Foster

The Gift by Marcel Mauss - a great book on cultural and value exchange in archaic societies

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down - Anne Fadiman - A great look at immigrant Hmong culture in the United States. These folks have an intense culture that is frequently misunderstood by Americans. Fadiman explores attempts by Hmong families to adjust to an American culture. Particularly 2nd and 3rd generation people born here, who still hold strong cultural values from their homeland. It also explores some of the reasons why Hmong peoples immigrated to the United States in the first place. - I would call this book a MUST READ if you leave near an immigrant Hmong population and interact with them.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-18-2017 at 01:09 PM.

^^^ Thanks Guys.
    @RevolverRob - The thread name was spawned somewhat tongue in cheek, following a discussion on books in Romper Room. By ‘Cultured’ let’s say not Mad Magazine.

Anyways, I’ll definitely look these up. I download and read most of my books from my local library to my kindle account.

Should have put "cultured" in quotes in the topic. The only thing "cultured" you heathens consume is the by products of yeast cultures in large vats.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    Should have put "cultured" in quotes in the topic. The only thing "cultured" you heathens consume is the by products of yeast cultures in large vats.
    I actually do really like yogourt. I find it fascinating that steppe cultures, having little access to plants other than inedible grasses, developed diets based on the animals who could process the grass.

Yogourt would often be a part of that diet and in fact a lot of horse cultures would make yogourt and then press and dry it in simple box presses in the rafters of their huts, where it would be exposed to warm, circulating air from fires. You could really get a good road food from that, I bet.

Bearing that in mind I'll also recommend the book "On the Trail of Ghengis Khan" by Tim Cope, a young Australian man who rode a horse following the path of Ghengis Khan's army, from Mongolia to Ukraine or so IIRC. Quite a ride.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I actually do really like yogourt. I find it fascinating that steppe cultures, having little access to plants other than inedible grasses, developed diets based on the animals who could process the grass.

Yogourt would often be a part of that diet and in fact a lot of horse cultures would make yogourt and then press and dry it in simple box presses in the rafters of their huts, where it would be exposed to warm, circulating air from fires. You could really get a good road food from that, I bet.

Bearing that in mind I'll also recommend the book "On the Trail of Ghengis Khan" by Tim Cope, a young Australian man who rode a horse following the path of Ghengis Khan's army, from Mongolia to Ukraine or so IIRC. Quite a ride.

I'm dying to hear your take on the jellyfish clan and Prevagen.

Seriously, though, good post. (And I did pick up one of your recommendations thus far. I haven't yet picked up the Unabomber volume.)

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm dying to hear your take on the jellyfish clan and Prevagen.
    I can't remember a thing about them.

This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I can't remember a thing about them.

2-Shea

User Tag List