Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It looks like a Blade Tech Total Eclipse with some different styling cues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts as well, I don't carry OWB but this would be an option I would look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Michael,

I appreciate your explanation and completely understand where you guys had to move from a business standpoint both to simplify production cost/complexity and to position yourself to fill major contracts.

I've been a customer of yours since ~2007-08 back when you guys were truly a custom shop. I still have a holster you built me for a Springfield Pro/light rail with a streamlight TLR-2 with a thumb break retention strap that is a holdover from when my agency required a thumb break for our 1911's. I have carried your holsters in some of the most non-permissive areas you can imagine and have always recommended them to people who were looking for more performance than the standard issued gear we were given. Most of the shooters on my team/unit all went to RCS holsters for our plain clothes missions (out of our own pocket), and the majority of us still carry them in some capacity.

The point of my post was more of a lamentation that you guys got so big that you've completely moved away from the "custom" holster market. You've gone that way more and more over the years, and this seems even a bigger step that direction considering the pictures we've seen show the Perun with two full body shields on each side and lack of curvature to it, which is TBD whether that will negatively impact concealment or comfort in OWB or IWB setups.

I will likely still be recommending the Perun, especially for shooters who aren't enthusiasts and don't know whether they want straight drop, or 10% cant, or IWB, or OWB, etc. I see an advantage in the versatility for people to be able to adjust those things to experiment with what works best for them, but when I know exactly how I want my gear setup, I'd rather buy something that is tailor made for the role.
    Gio-

I am flattered you have been with us for this long, and I can certainly understand why such a fundamental shift in our product line would have you concerned.

Yes, we have have gotten away from the "custom" market, mainly because that market limited our ability to grow and pursue new projects. However, in doing so, we have also gotten away from manufacturing methods and materials that severely limited us in solving customer problems. There is literally nothing that the Phantom did that the Perun doesn't do better. You have the same cant adjustment, but you gain ambidextrous capability (which is mainly a benefit for retailers and agency purchasers, but also is pretty nice for that late-forties rotator cuff surgery when you'll spend 6-9 weeks with your dominant arm in a sling). You gain adjustable retention. You gain the ability to use RDS. You lose the "E-tool" holster body profile, and instead contain your pistol with a sleek, small, polymer body that is barely larger than your firearm, and is made from a polymer blend that is stronger, lighter, and more resilient than Kydex or Boltaron.

As you can see, the holster body isn't "flat." It hasn't lost its "curve." All that has changed is that the point where the "curve" began on the Phantom body is where we ended the Perun body, and then made the curved part a detachable belt loop. The only way the holster could curve any more is if it was literally for a Taurus Curve pistol.

Again, if you liked the Phantom, you'll like the Perun, only more, because it does all the same things, only better.

Name:  20171120_145851.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  28.2 KBName:  20171120_145909.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  32.5 KB
    Michael Goerlich
    Owner
    Raven Concealment Systems, LLC
    www.ravenconcealment.com

At first look, I didn't like it, because I'm somewhat of an "anti-sweat shield" guy, especially tall ones, and more especially tall kydex ones. However, it only appears as if the sweat shield(s) is (are) incredibly tall, but it really is just because the cutout for the RDS is so low. They end at the back of the slide, which is where I think a sweat shield should stop.

Does the sweat shield provide any stability or tension/retention for the holster? For instance, if one was to cut off some sweat shield (or a later model from RCS Gear had less, or only one side), would that cause any problems?
    Last edited by JTQ; 11-20-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Since there is interesting on here, maybe @RCSMichael would do a group buy for PF exclusively?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    At first look, I didn't like it, because I'm somewhat of an "anti-sweat shield" guy, especially tall ones, and more especially tall kydex ones. However, it only appears as if the sweat shield(s) is (are) incredibly tall, but it really is just because the cutout for the RDS is so low. They end at the back of the slide, which is where I think a sweat shield should stop.

Does the sweat shield provide any stability or tension/retention for the holster? For instance, if one was to cut off some sweat shield (or a later model from RCS Gear had less, or only one side), would that cause any problems?
    I have no opinion on the dual sweat shield and could see myself cutting off the outside one. But as for high/tall shields I've learned to love them when training support hand. It allows me to use my left hand to shove my concealing garment behind the holster, greatly simplifying reholstering across my body.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Since there is interesting on here, maybe @RCSMichael would do a group buy for PF exclusively?
    I need another GLOCK holster like a hole in the head, but I'd be down with a PF group buy! Maybe we could have "Mods here are $h1+" molded into the holster, so we know who the OG PFers are...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 11-20-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Any idea on timelines for other models? Some of us are stuck loving the one we're with (Sig 226R). Been carrying my work gun in an RCS Phantom for 9 years now off-duty. Got two, one IWB setup and one OWB....like the adjustable cant feature on the Perun, actually. Would love to give it a go.
    Last edited by AMC; 11-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Michael, I'll most likely be buying one of these but would their be any negative drawbacks to cutting off the outside sweatshield if we have no use of every using it for the opposite side draw? I have a phantom for a G17 with X300U but I will end up getting one of these probably for a RMR G19 with no light if I can cut that outside sweat shield off.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I need another GLOCK holster like a hole in the head, but I'd be down with a PF group buy! Maybe we could have "Mods here are $h1+" molded into the holster, so we know who the OG PFers are...
    Preaching to the choir, but that doesn't mean I don't have a few bucks to throw at a new shiny toy.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It looks like a Blade Tech Total Eclipse with some different styling cues...
    x2

I hope it's more comfortable than the Total Eclipse, which looks good in the box, but doesn't work (for me) at all.

User Tag List