Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

I got mine today and modded it. I like it.

Last edited by Biggy; 12-15-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    I got mine today and modded it. I like it.

I'll be doing nearly identical modification very soon.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I received mine two days ago for my G19, and have had the opportunity to use it for dry and live fire draws already. My personal observations are below. While when Raven discontinued the Phantom (my favorite OWB) I was apprehensive, after receiving the Perun I am very positive about the new holster. Even my biggest personal detraction is more of a positive than negative.

Quality: The holster material feels solid and high quality. Molding is crisp and well formed, and the edges are smooth.

Retention: As it came from the factory, with the tension set at the lowest, retention was right where I personally prefer it with Gen 3,4, and 5 pistols and on par with my favorite Phantoms. My ATEI RMR equipped Gen 3 also fit with no problems. The pistol clicks positively in place, is retained loaded even with fairly vigorous upside down shaking, but still draws smoothly. With my Gen 2 19s, there was no retention as set from the factory; moving the tensioner all the way to the top was required to mimic performance with the other generations, and even then it felt (very) slightly looser.

Concealment: With less body there is less to cover. With the loops it feels like it rides a little closer than the Phantom with loops. It is probably closer to the ride with the pancake wings, but I have not had a chance to directly compare the two. For some reason it also originally felt as if it rides just a fraction higher on the belt, but in a direct comparison to a Phantom they rode at the same height.

Design: From a manufacturing point of view, making the holster ambidextrous with the mounting hardware accounting for handedness was pretty darn clever, and the execution works very well. I also like that if I injure my strong side arm, it is an easy switch to lefty rather than having to buy a new holster. I am also impressed with the design of the tensioner. It works far more effectively than I would have surmised just looking at it. Again, well done. A very minor peeve; while I totally get branding, I am not a fan of the large raven logo molded in to the body. The smaller logo in the trigger area seems sufficient to me. It will not keep me from buying more Peruns however.

The body shield(s); for me, I wish they were about a half inch lower. I realize this is an easy mod, but I am just giving my initial impressions as the holster was received. I also found they slightly impede reholstering by requiring a much more vertical approach on landing so to speak. I also realize this is more of a positive than a negative, as one of my pet peeves has always been seeing officers muzzle themselves as they cant the weapon inboard to fish the pistol into the holster mouth, particularly at a 3:30 to 4:00 position.

Overall, I feel this is a positive step for Raven, particularly being able to offer it at a price point that even a lot of cheapskate folks can see paying, rather than the Phantom price. I will most likely be picking up more as they become available, particularly the light bearing models.
    Last edited by PD Sgt.; 12-17-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Polite Professional

Those are really clean cuts. How'd you do it? I assume it wasn't the Peally method of a tard with scissors.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Those are really clean cuts. How'd you do it? I assume it wasn't the Peally method of a tard with scissors.

The holster body is ambidextriousis, so it can be worn on either the right side or left side, so sweat guards are included on both sides. Change the belt loops to change the cant (0 or 10 degrees) and also to change the side you want to wear it on. I carry right side so the outside sweatguard serves absolutely no purpose for me other than *slightly* getting in the way when reholstering the pistol. Cutting it off *does not* change the retention at all. I new I would be modding it before I ordered it, and have absolutely no regrets at all about modding it. I used a hacksaw blade in a small blade holder, around a 6 inch medium coarse file, some fine grit black sandpaper and some flitz polish. I worked the edge down about 1/8 inch with the file from where I cut it with the hacksaw blade and then smoothed the edge with the sandpaper and FLITZ polish. Below is a link with info on the holster.

http://www.rcsgear.com/perun-owb-holster-glock-19/
    Last edited by Biggy; 12-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Have any lefties tried this? Would be interested to hear it confirmed this holster is really ambidextrous.

Also (and this is hard to tell from the photos) how far down below the bottom edge of the belt does the holster extend? For say a Glock 19?

Wow and $40 for a decent ambi OWB holster? That’s amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Have any lefties tried this? Would be interested to hear it confirmed this holster is really ambidextrous.

Also (and this is hard to tell from the photos) how far down below the bottom edge of the belt does the holster extend? For say a Glock 19?

Form RCS's website , they state that the holster is ambidextrious :

The Perun is our flagship outside-the-waistband (OWB) holster. It is the result of blending the best features of two of our most popular holsters, the Eidolon and the Phantom, to create a highly refined, exceptionally concealable holster.

The Perun is designed to be the best modular OWB “pancake” style holster on the market. It has a body-hugging design that rides high for maximum concealment. The body of the holster is only slightly larger than the pistol contained in it. This small size aids in concealment while also making the holster more comfortable while seated in a vehicle.

The body-hugging curvature of this holster is accomplished using modular belt loops. Each holster includes three pair of 1.5” belt loops (LH 10 degree cant, RH 10 degree cant, and ambi 0 degree cant), which allow the end-user to configure the *ambidextrous holster body* for left-handed or right-handed use, with either a 0-degree or 10-degree cant.

Retention in the Perun is crisp, defined, and consistent, thanks to innovative design features inside the holster body. The unique retention slider makes adjusting retention as simple as turning up the volume on your stereo. And unlike other holsters that use the traditional “screw through a rubber grommet” style of retention, the Perun’s retention will not back off after repeated drawing and re-holstering.

The Perun is compatible with most slide-mounted red-dot optics (like the Aimpoint T-1, Trijicon RMR, etc.) and accommodates suppressor-height front sights up to .350” tall. It is also fully compatible with the RCS Balor optic mount.

The muzzle-end of the holster is rounded for comfort, yet has an opening sufficient to accommodate most common after-market extended and threaded barrels (with thread protectors). The opening at the muzzle is also specifically designed to allow foreign objects (like spent casings) to drop out the bottom so that nothing can block your pistol from being safely re-holstered.

The *ambidextrous holster body* has both inboard and outboard full-height body shields. These body shields offer some protection for your pistol from sweat, as well as protecting your skin and cover garments (especially the thin material used for linings in sport coats and suit jackets) from being abraded by the serrations on the rear of the slide. They also enhance safety by helping keep cover garments and other foreign objects from falling into the mouth of the holster while you have your pistol drawn, and aid in proper, safe muzzle orientation during re-holstering.

The holster is injection molded from a proprietary, extremely high-strength polymer blend that is significantly more durable than Kydex or Boltaron. Like all RCS products, it is made in the USA, and is backed by our lifetime warranty.

Let's get cracking on that VP9 holster so I can house my new-to-me teutonic blaster.

I got my G17 model I ordered when it was announced and really dig it. My pre-release G19 was great but I felt that the G17 would be the real test. It's made my list of suggestions for new shooters. Really hard to argue against the Perun and a G19/17 for a new shooter. Much like the G19 they could put a solid year of training in and conclude that they don't need to change a thing.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

See my post, #101... Switching from the factory RH setting to the LH setting was very seamless, and yes, the holster IS really ambidextrous.

And, On my 1.5" Wilderness Instructor belt, it's 2.5" at the front edge and 1.25" at the rear edge (set with the 10 degree cant.

User Tag List