Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

The washer/spacer is tiny. If you remove the screw and post, it should fall out.

A friend was issued a Perun and TLR-7, for a Glock 19, but hasn’t been issued the new gun yet. Apparently, his agency is waiting on delivery of the guns, but already got the holsters. Knowing I have a Glock 19, he loaned me the holster and light to try out. Over the last month I’ve done hundreds of draws, and re-holstering, using the Perun.

I had to put the tension all the way to the max setting, and there it does a relatively decent job with retention. However, I wish it was much better. I prefer a good solid “snap” in and out, and it should require a very hard pull to get the gun out, in my opinion. While the Perun is better than others I’ve tried, there is no solid snap in and out, and it doesn’t require enough force to get the gun out. There are holsters that are capable of that with pistols that do not have a weapon mounted light (WML), but I’ve not found that yet with a holster for a WML.

Clearing the holster is not a finesse move, in my opinion, so I prefer a holster that requires I “grip it and rip it.” I don’t want the gun coming out inadvertently during a fight (or during backflips in bars!). While far from perfect, the Perun is better than other options I’ve tried for a pistol with a WML. To be fair, I’m doing a bit of “apples to oranges” comparison, as I’ve previously tried holsters using a Glock 22, with both a Surefire X300 and a Streamlight TLR-1, but with the Perun I’ve only tried a Glock 19 with the TLR-7, and no other versions of the Perun holster for other lights.

For a “plastic” OWB rig it sits tight to the body, with both the straight drop and the 10 degree cant attachments. It conceals just as well as my old Phantoms, and similar “pancake” style OWB holsters I’ve used. The holster I tried also came with an option to use Raven’s “Quick Mount Straps” (QMS). I did not like that option when I tried it. That set up let the loops pull away from my belt slightly, and I felt it impacted both the stability of the holster on the body and concealment. However, it might work better with a wider belt, as my everyday carry belt is a 1.25” wide double layer horsehide belt.

If you like sweat shields on your holsters, the ones on the Perun are well done. I thought the “extra” sweat shield would be annoying, but it’s not. It definitely benefits the manufacturer, and large contract buyers, to have the holster be completely ambidextrous, including the sweat shields. However, the benefit to the single purchase customer is that it probably keeps costs down across the board, because there is no need to support manufacturing for the 20%, or so, who are “lefties,” versus the larger number of “righties.”

Now, for those of us, myself included, who don’t like sweat shields, the benefits of them have been greatly overstated previously on this thread. I clearly remember, because I bought a couple of them, when the Phantom was available with a very minimal (practically non-existent) sweat shield, called the “MD cut” version. Raven Concealment used to describe the “MD cut” saying, “A Short body shield will also allow your thumb to come to rest against the weapon for a full firing grip before the draw is started. We leave enough material to also aid in re-holstering and to help keep your clothing out of the holster mouth.” (http://rcsgear.com/faq/#fivea)
    I’m one of those people who think the full sweat shield interferes with establishing the grip on the gun, and I’m willing to sacrifice a small amount of comfort, for the benefit of being able to quickly/easily/more reliably establish a good grip on the gun. However, it’s not that hard to cut them down, and sand the rough edges smooth, as I’ve done it on other holsters.

In summary, it conceals well for an OWB holster, has better retention for a holster made for a gun with a WML than the other options I’ve tried (although I wish it was much better), and it does that at half the price of many other options. While it’s far from perfect, it’s the best I’ve used so far with a WML, and I am considering purchasing one, as we are also transitioning to the Glock 19 and TLR-7 at my job.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    The washer/spacer is tiny. If you remove the screw and post, it should fall out.

Mine did not have a washer. But I am just going to live with the retention for now. I may drill a hole on the snout and put a screw/nut to close the bottom. There is a tiny gap even at full retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Mine did not have a washer. But I am just going to live with the retention for now. I may drill a hole on the snout and put a screw/nut to close the bottom. There is a tiny gap even at full retention.
    You may want to reach out to RCS.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    You may want to reach out to RCS.
    They also told me to remove the washer...I need to contact them again. Basically once the jmck iwb3 arrived the perun went in the drawer.

On my G19/TLR7 model, the retention doesn't seem to have anything to do with the light other than it helps prevent it from rocking. The retention is from molded in tabs that mate with the frame indentions at the slide lock. A finger squeeze to increase the tension over those areas on both sides of the slide increases the retention. Near the tabs, there are two molded in standoffs on each side that are likely there to provide just the right amount of insertion of the tabs into the recessed areas of the frame. YMMV and you're on your own, but if they're oversized for your slide or deformed, dressing them down may increase the retention.
    Best,
    JSP

They also told me to remove the washer...I need to contact them again. Basically once the jmck iwb3 arrived the perun went in the drawer.
    Does the gun have a solid snap in and out with the TLR-7, like I mentioned above? I'm really eager to find a holster that has that nice hard snap in/out and requires a really hard pull to release the gun. Like I said in my review of the Perun I have been able to get that in holsters without a WML, but not with any holster that is made for a WML.
    Last edited by DMF13; 09-19-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Does the gun have a solid snap in and out with the TLR-7, like I mentioned above? I'm really eager to find a holster that has that nice hard snap in/out and requires a really hard pull to release the gun. Like I said in my review of the Perun I have been able to get that in holsters without a WML, but not with any holster that is made for a WML.
    Idk about a snap. But the retention is solid. I also do not have it cranked down much. It is light years ahead of the perun, and has room to go for retention. Believe me the gun is going nowhere cranked down.

Idk about a snap. But the retention is solid. I also do not have it cranked down much. It is light years ahead of the perun, and has room to go for retention. Believe me the gun is going nowhere cranked down.
    Thanks for the info. That makes me more comfortable about dropping some cash to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Thanks for the info. That makes me more comfortable about dropping some cash to get one.
    I have had quite a few iwb3 holsters now. And two light bearing iwb3 rigs. One for aplc and one for tlr7. They have all been perfection.

G19.5/tlr7

P10c/aplc

User Tag List