Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I would just like to make it clear that I am not trying to criticize RCS as a company,but rather just relating my observations about the holster. I inverted and shook it for two reasons, first my guns rattle around In the holster and I found that odd and because I wanted to wear this holster both at my desert home and on some rural property I own.My intent was to both be able to have a concealed holster and a work holster. I often use an ATV at both locations and wanted a secure holster. I am concerned that this holster will not retain my gun.

In fairness to RCS I am heading back up my house in a couple of weeks and will jump on my ATV and go for a long ride.I will report back with more info.

Again,I am just reporting my observations..

I adjusted the tensioner on my Perun holster 1/4" inch up from the bottom position for my two Gen 5 G 19's for *my* perfect tension and pistol retension, pistol clicked/ snapped in place with a nice snug no rattle fit. I then turned the holster over and shook it pretty hard trying to dislodge the pistol, but could not do so. For a OWB holster it conceals very well for me and I am completely satisfied with mine, if I wasn't I would sell it in a heartbeat.

Can you position either of the belt loops on the outside of the rig like you could the pancake wings of the original phantom?

Name:  Bravo BCA - Raven Perun.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  43.8 KB
    I just got the Perun so it's early to have a firm opinion. I believe the clunky Bravo BCA (left) hugs a little tighter and conceals the grip a little better - especially when using a regular belt loop up front and pancake in the back. It's close, but the Bravo beats it by a tick. HOWEVER... I LOVE the smaller footprint of the Perun. The BCA has SO MUCH unnecessary material that gets in the way when trying to conceal at 3:00 or 3:30 under a sport coat. The retention on the Perun is just fine with both a 17 and 26.

I recently acquired a Perun for my G19.5 as a candidate to replace my Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.

It arrived set up for right hand, 10 degree cant. I am a lefty, and carry OWB between 9 and 10 o’clock. (This seems to work for me, sitting or standing or driving the truck. ) I took me about 10 minutes to install the ambi neutral cant loops for left hand use with a small Phillips screwdriver.

Overall I’m quite pleased.

The major concern I had was the longer overhang below my belt for my preferred cover garment (button front shirt). It’s approximately 3/8” to 1/2”. So, good news; it looks manageable as I have sufficient spare material to cover this.

Overall comfort is increased. The two sweat guards on either side eliminate some chafing I was feeling with the MR from the Glock rear slide serrations (no sweat guards on the MR). The thinness of the polymer material, relative to leather, results in my belt feeling about 1/2 notch looser. The weight is also physically lighter than my leather MR; that weight difference is very noticeable putting them on back to back.

Donning and doffing are also easier than the leather. I set mine up for lefty straight cant, and while they look like they would be loose, the way my belt (Mitch Rosen Leather 1 1/2”) cams into the loops is just about perfect. Not too tight, not too loose.

Retention at the factory preset minimum is fine. The gun inserts with a satisfying ‘clonk’ into the holster. Obviously I’ll need some dry reps, but getting a master grip quickly does not seem too different. I didn’t install a Melody Lauer’s Holster Hack Gel pad on this MR, and I don’t know if I will on this one. It seems to tuck in sufficiently.

I felt confident enough to load up a magazine and start wearing it immediately.

I like this holster a lot.

I also wanted to add how I came about getting a Perun.

RCS customer service is awesome. It turns out they warrant their holsters, no matter where you bought it.

I bought a used, partially complete Eidolon. On receipt, I discovered the holster shell was cracked at the wing claw mount. I contacted RCS to explain the situation and ask whether there was anything they could do. I wasn’t really expecting them to respond, to be honest.

They came back the next day and offered to replace the shell, gratis. They also told me it wasn’t Gen 5 compatible.

After a bit of discussion on the phone, they agreed to exchange it, free, for a new G19 Perun. So at the end of the day I exchanged a damaged holster that was missing the RCS belt attachments, and that wasn’t compatible with my G5, for a brand new holster.

This is on a used holster. I was like, wow, what a stand up company. Pretty rare in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    This is on a used holster. I was like, wow, what a stand up company. Pretty rare in this day and age.
    Mike G and everyone associated with the company, I know several of them in the real world, is top notch. He's got a real solid crew there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I recently acquired a Perun for my G19.5 as a candidate to replace my Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.

It arrived set up for right hand, 10 degree cant. I am a lefty, and carry OWB between 9 and 10 o’clock. (This seems to work for me, sitting or standing or driving the truck. ) I took me about 10 minutes to install the ambi neutral cant loops for left hand use with a small Phillips screwdriver.

Overall I’m quite pleased.

The major concern I had was the longer overhang below my belt for my preferred cover garment (button front shirt). It’s approximately 3/8” to 1/2”. So, good news; it looks manageable as I have sufficient spare material to cover this.

Overall comfort is increased. The two sweat guards on either side eliminate some chafing I was feeling with the MR from the Glock rear slide serrations (no sweat guards on the MR). The thinness of the polymer material, relative to leather, results in my belt feeling about 1/2 notch looser. The weight is also physically lighter than my leather MR; that weight difference is very noticeable putting them on back to back.

Donning and doffing are also easier than the leather. I set mine up for lefty straight cant, and while they look like they would be loose, the way my belt (Mitch Rosen Leather 1 1/2”) cams into the loops is just about perfect. Not too tight, not too loose.

Retention at the factory preset minimum is fine. The gun inserts with a satisfying ‘clonk’ into the holster. Obviously I’ll need some dry reps, but getting a master grip quickly does not seem too different. I didn’t install a Melody Lauer’s Holster Hack Gel pad on this MR, and I don’t know if I will on this one. It seems to tuck in sufficiently.

I felt confident enough to load up a magazine and start wearing it immediately.

I like this holster a lot.
    (Ignore this post - I quoted the wrong post).
    Last edited by Larry T; 01-25-2018 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Name:  Bravo BCA - Raven Perun.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  43.8 KB
    I just got the Perun so it's early to have a firm opinion. I believe the clunky Bravo BCA (left) hugs a little tighter and conceals the grip a little better - especially when using a regular belt loop up front and pancake in the back. It's close, but the Bravo beats it by a tick. HOWEVER... I LOVE the smaller footprint of the Perun. The BCA has SO MUCH unnecessary material that gets in the way when trying to conceal at 3:00 or 3:30 under a sport coat. The retention on the Perun is just fine with both a 17 and 26.
    UPDATE... I commented in my original post that the Bravo BCA holds a little tighter against the body than the Perun. I just switched the Perun loops to Neutral Cant and there must be just enough difference in the shape of the loops that I would say that at neutral cant, the Perun holds as tight as the Bravo without all the extra material.

Two thumbs way up.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I just wanted to share my initial impression of the Raven Perun.

I was very excited by this holster when first announced. I am a lefty and was excited about not having to wait for a left handed version to be made. I also liked being able to use an RMR and the belt attachments.

I ordered the holster last week and it was promptly shipped. It arrives in a neat bag with all of the attachments and instructions inside. Overall the holster is very nicely made with no production marks and crisp, clean lines. I quickly changed the belt loops to a lefty configuration and inserted my Glock 17.

This is where I was disappointed. With the tensioner all the way in the negative position, the gun slid in and out with virtually no retention. At this point I began to adjust the tensioner and found that even at full tension, the gun would would not stay holstered when I turned the holster upside down and shook the holster. The 17 would drop right out onto my work bench.

To make sure I was not crazy, I tried this with a Gen 3 17, a Gen 2 17, and my Agency, which is also a Gen 3. All three guns popped right out at maximum tension. Additionally, all three guns rattle when placed fully in the holster. This bothered me the most; I expect that my pistols stay in place once in the holster.

I feel that RCS has the bones of a really nice holster, but perhaps needs some additional refinement.
    I've been dealing with this objection for years. Off-body retention of pistols is not a valid standard for a concealment holster. After years of responding to this same complaint, I figured I'd just write a blog post that I could link to whenever it came up:

Blog about shake testing
    Michael Goerlich
    Owner
    Raven Concealment Systems, LLC
    www.ravenconcealment.com

User Tag List