Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    When did all kydex/boltaron become "custom"? Not trying to sound argumentative, but I've had a slew of emails as of late asking for really dumb shit and then when denied their dumb shit, the sender accused me of false advertising, lying, and being lazy for a "custom" maker. I've also had a few that either didn't respond back or were just fine. Those that did have not responded to the "where did we say we were a custom maker?" question.

Any good maker, leather included, should be striving for consistency and repeatability, kinda the antithesis of custom.
    And longer shorts might help to keep the sand out.

(Just sayin'...)

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    And longer shorts might help to keep the sand out.

(Just sayin'...)
    Just a question, not any of the things that bug me. Figured I'd ask just as you might be one to be able to better explain it.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

@RCSMichael

Did the VP9 Perun ever make it to the top of the heap for the next model to be released? The website shows nothing for VP9 and I've been patiently waiting, so I'm hoping it wasn't released and quietly discontinued before I realized it was a thing... just picked a new VP9 OR model recently. These would be perfect with a Perun, I just grabbed the Morrigan VP9 which seems to also no longer be on your RCS website though I found one at G&R Tactical.

Also, did anything ever come of the rumored Perun IWB conversion?

On the subject of IWB: why isn't the Phantom/pancake style of holster more widely used for IWB? Are there any reputable makers offering one? I assume there's a functional reason, but I don't have any experience with one to understand why it doesn't work well enough to be more popular.

I've got a Phantom for my 1911 that's just terrific for OWB and that's why I snapped it up when a P-F'er offered it. When I was first setting it up, I holstered my 1911 with no loops attached and slid it into my preferred IWB position. It felt very comfortable, though when I actually attached some PTD loops, it set much higher than I would like. With no loops, it wasn't stable enough for me to move around and discover much about actually running it IWB.

While the manufacturing method keeps the Perun narrow, it's still wider than most IWB's, and that's not usually helpful. The wings, OWB, being pulled in work well. When worn IWB, the belt pushing the wings in is a little different and it distributes the force inward, sometimes increased by the wings serving as a lever, no matter what. A normal folded IWB doesn't have the levers, except for what you add for concealment purposes (wings).
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    On the subject of IWB: why isn't the Phantom/pancake style of holster more widely used for IWB? Are there any reputable makers offering one? I assume there's a functional reason, but I don't have any experience with one to understand why it doesn't work well enough to be more popular.
    I have a Phantom for a Government Model and have used the outboard clips and the on the body soft loops. The outboard clips really take up a lot of belt real estate, even more than the already wide pancake holster itself.

On another forum, a member commented wearing a Phantom IWB is like sticking a dinner plate inside your pants. I thought that was pretty accurate.

The Phantom is a slim profile holster, but it is wide. Unlike a leather holster of the same width that will bend inside your pants, the Phantom won't. If you can find a large enough flat spot on your body, it may work, but "taco" style holsters usually will take up less space and give more placement options.

I'll always remember the picture of a slim guy with a Phantom IWB in this thread from M4Carbine (I'm not a member, and never have been) at post #2. Admittedly, he could have moved the holster off his 3:00 position for better function, but it demonstrates the width and lack of flexibility of the Phantom. It's still a nice holster, though.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...en-Concealment

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    On the subject of IWB: why isn't the Phantom/pancake style of holster more widely used for IWB? Are there any reputable makers offering one?
    I don't have any experience with them, but there are still some making them

BlackPoint Tactical https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/...d-owb-holster/

@JTQ, thanks for sharing the link to that pic, it illustrates perfectly what @orionz06 was kind enough to spell out.

Now I understand why my 1911 Phantom seemed comfy when I tried it with no attachments on it.

I think the Perun is a pretty good holster for canted OWB 3:30 to 4:30 carry. However, for straight drop 2:30 carry, the butt of the gun just sticks out like a sore thumb. I've mounted the front loop backwards which kind of gives it an avenger-style function but the back loop is not working. I need a loop that is in line with the rest of the holster and not curved in or offset.

Does anyone know if something like this would screw into the holster?...and if not this one, something like it out there that would fit?

https://holsterbuilder.com/shop/belt...pancake-wings/

User Tag List