Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems Perun (Phantom Replacement)

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I don't speak for Raven in the least, but OOF there's a tremendous amount of variance in the various 1911s made between 1907 and the presence. Dimensions and geometry are just all over the place, and I can't think of a single agency-level customer running a singular configuration sizable enough to justify modeling one up, much less cutting molds for them. Put the frame and slide variation aside and focus on thumb-safeties along, since you mentioned them - think about a Perun sweat shield as it would have to be designed to accomodate the larger and ambi safeties used on the last of the duty 1911s in CONUS LE, and how that may or may not conflict with concealment holster design. (Really, as with many a weapon that's called out for, it's just not consumed nor holstered in sufficient quantities to justify it; but the 1911 rises above most other pistols as far as the absolute range of considerations involved with making a good holster for even just one.)
    Like you say, it's just not practical. For example, while I am a fan of Blade-Tech's 'Classic OWB', I'm not a fan of my Blade-Tech 'Total Eclipse' for a 5" 1911. Sure, it's built for a 1911 pistol, ambi-capable, and with a sweat shield, on both sides, to keep the thumb safety lever from inadvertent manipulation, and it does accept just about any 1911, but it's a gun bucket - the retention is just not there.

Never mind the roller-coaster test, I wouldn't trust this thing with a summersault test, and you might even be better off with a 'locked' race holster. I am, of course, assuming that holster retention matters to you; it does matter to me, so I don't use my 'Total Eclipse'. If ever there was a niche for a 'custom' (Kydex/Boltaron) holster design, an ambi-capable holster, with a high sweat shield, on both sides, to keep the thumb safety lever from inadvertent manipulation, and built for a 1911 pistol, might be that niche.

The first new Perun with QMS arrived. I mounted up the QMS kit and applied low torque threadlock, I’m impressed by the balance of attachment ease and security.

One question for other Perun QMS users. There is a fair amount of up and down slop in the QMS loop with a 1.5” Wilderness belt - it almost seems like they are adjusted for a 1.75” belt. There are three holes in the QMS loop, and the center is the one being used now. The instructions say nothing about adjusting this. Has anyone run across this, and did you try to adjust it out by moving the strap to a different mounting hole?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The first new Perun with QMS arrived. I mounted up the QMS kit and applied low torque threadlock, I’m impressed by the balance of attachment ease and security.

One question for other Perun QMS users. There is a fair amount of up and down slop in the QMS loop with a 1.5” Wilderness belt - it almost seems like they are adjusted for a 1.75” belt. There are three holes in the QMS loop, and the center is the one being used now. The instructions say nothing about adjusting this. Has anyone run across this, and did you try to adjust it out by moving the strap to a different mounting hole?
    once mounted (the belt is on and property tensioned), is the holster still moving vertically?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

They seem set for 1.75”. I tightened it up one hole and it works fine on a 1.5”
    now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    If ever there was a niche for a 'custom' (Kydex/Boltaron) holster design, an ambi-capable holster, with a high sweat shield, on both sides, to keep the thumb safety lever from inadvertent manipulation, and built for a 1911 pistol, might be that niche.
    When did all kydex/boltaron become "custom"? Not trying to sound argumentative, but I've had a slew of emails as of late asking for really dumb shit and then when denied their dumb shit, the sender accused me of false advertising, lying, and being lazy for a "custom" maker. I've also had a few that either didn't respond back or were just fine. Those that did have not responded to the "where did we say we were a custom maker?" question.

Any good maker, leather included, should be striving for consistency and repeatability, kinda the antithesis of custom.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Hammertime
    I am going to add to this thread. I would encourage mods to close the QMS thread recently opened and add this posts to this thread as well if possible.

Initially the QMS straps were fouling my draw by catching on the cover garment. I swapped them front to back as they are essentially identical. This has the effect of turning the strap “hook” to point up rather than down. This also causes the holster to ride about 1/2inch lower. I find the former effect preferable and I can live with the lower ride since I only use this set up for running and it doesn’t really matter where the belt rides on my torso. The holster and gun still sit in the same sort of comfy spot they always do. In fact I might prefer the lower ride anyway because getting tri a high ride behind the hip gun with my shoulder stiffness isn’t always the easiest. The Zero degree cant versus 15degree seems like a non issue to me. Don’t notice the difference at all.

Photos:

Perun vs Phantom standard set up.

Name:  580B9631-666E-4EF0-97DE-E718205275B4.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  69.6 KB

Perun vs Phantom with adapters flipped for Perun. Note change in ride height.

Name:  F1D4ADB4-1F4E-432D-A278-253FD8727471.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  69.8 KB

Perun how I wear it:

Name:  77961CBD-6D14-407B-8AEB-AC331D952A5F.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  36.6 KB

With really floppy shirt over it:

Name:  19382962-4EC4-4D17-AF2E-A0524D5BB2AC.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  42.2 KB

And finally a shot to show how the Perun/QMS combination protrudes. I tried to show it worst case.

Name:  36AE635C-EBCC-426E-A115-6C9646B0E161.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  30.6 KB

@Doc_Glock is there no way to get a 15* rake on the Perun with the quick mount straps?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @Doc_Glock is there no way to get a 15* rake on the Perun with the quick mount straps?
    Well, they don’t make them in 15*. I haven’t tried hrs to modify them, but just looking I don’t really see that it would
    be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca View Post
    once mounted (the belt is on and property tensioned), is the holster still moving vertically?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    They seem set for 1.75”. I tightened it up one hole and it works fine on a 1.5”
    now.
    I’ll do that - thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I changed holes on the QMS straps like @Doc_Glock did, and the holster rides much better on my 1.5” Wilderness. I haven’t tried it on my new Kore yet.
    Ken

User Tag List