Thread: Red Dot Magnifier POI shift

Red Dot Magnifier POI shift

Has anyone else experienced POI shift between a straight red dot vs a magnified red dot?

I have been playing around with an aimpoint 3x-c behind an aimpoint PRO and am seeing a POI shift between the two. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just the nature of the beast?
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Red Dot Magnifier POI shift

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    Has anyone else experienced POI shift between a straight red dot vs a magnified red dot?

I have been playing around with an aimpoint 3x-c behind an aimpoint PRO and am seeing a POI shift between the two. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is it just the nature of the beast?
    Any time you stack a lens behind another lens you’re going to alter the light transmission, thus altering your POI.

The shift is to be expected. How much shift you’re willing to tolerate is up to you.

I was getting about a 3 moa shift when I played around with them. That was unacceptable to me.

That’s why the low power variable optics in the 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 range are great... they eliminate POI shift. The downside is that very few optics are a true 1x at the bottom unless you spend the $$$$.

If you are going to continue using the magnifier, zero at distance using the magnifier. That way it shouldn’t really effect anything closer when it comes to “combat” acceptable accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 11-17-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

User Tag List