Thread: I would appreciate some assistance/advice with my grip please.

I would appreciate some assistance/advice with my grip please.

I hope this makes sense.

To begin, I have large hands. I wear a 2XL glove to be exact. My pistol is a G19.3 with an X300 WML.

In trying to gain more/better recoil control I want to move my SH further forward. Being further forward allows more arch my wrist more as well. So I tried this at a recent range trip and sure enough it gave me a shorter up and down on recoil. Problem is the X300 is eating my index finger of my SH. As far a the folks here on PF being a think-tank as well as my brain trust has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

I know grip can be a personal thing with different pistols and hand size. Thoughts?
    SCD

Profile pic of my pistol

Profile pic of my current SH position.

Profile pic of where I'd like my SH to be.

Did it give you a shorter up/down on recoil or did it make you faster? Even if it's doing a figure 8 and going to the moon and back if you're shooting the same split speeds and the sights come back anyway it's a meaningless advantage.

I don't shoot with a light but some guns work with people better than others. You're right, depending on the design you'll need to work a slightly different grip on any firearm. That might mean accepting getting your finger chewed up, accepting not using the modified grip, or changing/removing the light.

Just my initial thoughts.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I agree with Peally. And I’m guessing you’re pretty strong? I recommend just working on gripping harder with your support hand, while maintaining good ergonomics.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I grip the gun like that, crammed all the way against the light. As far as your finger getting chewed up I look it at like I do about carrying an extremely rough gun against bare skin. Do what works best and let your body adapt. Your skin will eventually harden up. Or it won't and it will stay torn up. If so, it's just skin. You'll grow more.

I would appreciate some assistance/advice with my grip please.

Man, if callouses can’t solve a grip issue, that’s a dealbreaker for me. I need to be able to do 1000’s of reps—hopefully without dripping blood all over the place. I wouldn’t put up with that light hitting my fingers.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-16-2017 at 07:08 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    My sarcasm probably didn't convey well. I totally agree that if callouses can't solve a problem there needs to be another solution. In this case if I shot better with that grip(I do) I would stick with it until I found out for sure if a callous would form or if it wasn't doable. I wouldn't ditch it because I was getting chewed up until I knew that was going to be a permanent situation.

User Tag List