Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a Career in CID

You can always go CID and then reserves while still working as a civilian federal LEO. I currently work with a AF OSI reservist who came off active duty recently. Similarly to what psalms is talking about, he didn't care much for the crim mission and focused on the CI side of things, at which AFOSI is/was unusually aggressive about unlike almost any other federal LE agency.

I don't know of any federal LE agencies that will take Ft Leonard Wood's investigator program as a substitute for FLETC CITP, so if you're sensitive to the idea of having to repeat academies then I'd factor that into your life choices. Some people are, and seem to have the life sucked out of them by training/academy settings......personally, I thought FLETC CITP was fun. It was basically college with guns, and virtually no responsibility beyond 1) Study and pass, and 2) Don't feloniously add or subtract from the population.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice, it has been very helpful. Right now I'm thinking that CID seems like a good option for me to start out in law enforcement. It is probably more likely that I can get into CID right now than other Federal Law enforcement agencies. I am not sure I would be a strong applicant with only experience in the Infantry and a criminal justice degree. From what I gather I would probably have a better chance at getting into a federal agency outside the Army after serving in CID. The way I look at it is I can always stay in the Army if I love CID till retirement, or get out if other jobs seem more desirable and attainable down the road

Quote Originally Posted by John91 View Post
    I am currently an Infantry officer on active duty in the Army and I am considering either going to CID as a warrant officer or getting out and pursuing a career in law enforcement. Is CID a good place to work in law enforcement or am I better off else where? If one day I do get out and try to get a job in federal law enforcement do most of those agencies respect CID and would that background help me? I appreciate any information or advice people can offer. I have had trouble finding much information about CID. Thanks
    Any of the Military Criminal Investigative Organizations (MCIO), like Army CID, NCIS, AFOSI, CGIS, will be a good start if you want to get into fed LE as a Criminal Investigator (aka Special Agent). They all offer good training, and will put right into doing "felony level" criminal investigations. While the vast majority of what you do will be handled through the military justice system, there are occasions that the MCIOs present cases to the US Attorney's Office, for prosecution in US District Courts.

All of that will look good on application for, and be good preparation for, a job as a "civilian" Special Agent with the feds. Many agents in my current agency, including me, many agents in other fed agencies I've worked with over the years, got their start in an MCIO.

If you get the WO position in CID, when trying to decide to stick it out on active duty, v. jumping over to a "civilian" Special Agent job, I can tell you that when I compared the numbers for pay and retirement pay, between a Major (O-4) and/or Lieutenant Colonel (O-5) v. a GS-13 (paygrade) GS-1811 (job series) Criminal Investigator (aka Special Agent), the "civilian" 1811 comes out way ahead in both pay while working, and pay in retirement. So the monetary difference will be even greater between a WO and an 1811.

So for me the choice was clear, as an officer, I was going to stop working cases, and become a supervisor, so I'd have less enjoyment in the job, and make less money, if I stayed in the military.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John91 View Post
    Thank you to everyone who has given me advice, it has been very helpful. Right now I'm thinking that CID seems like a good option for me to start out in law enforcement. It is probably more likely that I can get into CID right now than other Federal Law enforcement agencies. I am not sure I would be a strong applicant with only experience in the Infantry and a criminal justice degree. From what I gather I would probably have a better chance at getting into a federal agency outside the Army after serving in CID. The way I look at it is I can always stay in the Army if I love CID till retirement, or get out if other jobs seem more desirable and attainable down the road
    Don't sell yourself short. While prior investigative experience can be helpful, plenty of people jump right into the feds without it. Most fed agencies hire from a diverse set of backgrounds. I work with several agents who came straight out of the military, with no LE experience. Just the ones I know, include several infantry (Army and USMC), several intel guys (Air Force, Army, Navy, & USMC), a couple pilots (USAF and USMC), a Navy JAG officer, and even one Navy SWCC. Hell, your infantry experience probably qualifies you to apply to the FBI as part of their "Tactical Recruitment Program," where someone without that infantry experience, but does have investigative experience, might not qualify.

So don't sell yourself short.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    . . . personally, I thought FLETC CITP was fun. It was basically college with guns, and virtually no responsibility beyond 1) Study and pass, and 2) Don't feloniously add or subtract from the population.
    Yep, it would suck to have to do CITP, if you'd already done the Army CID course, but it would be that much easier for someone with that experience. I didn't have to repeat CITP, and did have to attend agency specific training when switching jobs, and having made it through the first one I knew what to expect the next time around, so it was that much easier and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    John - you're correct. Entry age for Federal LE is before your 37th birthday (some agencies waive that to before your 40th bday for veterans).
    AFAIK, all agencies can hire 5 or 10 point preference eligible vets prior to their 40th birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    AFAIK, all agencies can hire 5 or 10 point preference eligible vets prior to their 40th birthday.
    It's at the agency's discretion, not guaranteed, for hiring post 37

I last worked alongside a rotation of Army Officer CID agents overseas, they were doing mostly supervision of supporting MI/2/2X missions. The biggest difference I saw was that some were unhappy with the MI or CI mission overall and would've preferred an investigator role, so they were looking to jump ship if the timing was right. Other guys were happy to do it because they were decent writers and enjoyed the perceived perks of the position, so they felt like it was a great fit. The few guys I have met that went from CID in a military capacity that jumped to the civilian side were really happy they did, mostly for pay reasons.

It's all about what you want.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    It's at the agency's discretion, not guaranteed, for hiring post 37
    Correct. It varies from agency to agency.

User Tag List