Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a Career in CID

Thoughts on a Career in CID

I am currently an Infantry officer on active duty in the Army and I am considering either going to CID as a warrant officer or getting out and pursuing a career in law enforcement. Is CID a good place to work in law enforcement or am I better off else where? If one day I do get out and try to get a job in federal law enforcement do most of those agencies respect CID and would that background help me? I appreciate any information or advice people can offer. I have had trouble finding much information about CID. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in a large military town and work with CID regularly.
    Everyone I know who worked CID (not TDY from the MPs) have landed some really good fed jobs and/or some pretty high level corporate security jobs.

My experience mirrors KPD’s with the exception I’m not in a military town. I have worked several cases with Army CID and know several Fed’s who were former Army CID. My current boss (State Agency) is a retired CW4 CID Officer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That’s good to hear, thanks. Is the training cid provides good comparatively? Also the other thing I’ve wondered is if they get good experience through the cases they work or if there is just less crime happening involving soldiers

John,

My Fiancée was an Intel Analyst at CID HQ for a number of years, thought it’s been awhile. She moved To Treasury FinCEN and now with another fed agency. She really misses the the more Army family attitude and closeness that CID had while she was there. There are a number of former CID agents working in the Fed LE agency she currently works for, so it appears there is good portability with fed LE agencies.

If you are interested in speaking with her, shoot me a PM with contact info. I’m sure she will be willing to share her experiences there. While it’s dated info, it might be helpful background.

Stay safe!

Speaking as a retired fed, I've had occasion to work alongside CID agents in the past who helped us with our cases, and several of our own (or other federal agency's) agents who came from a background in CID work. I believe the experience will only be helpful down the road in terms of lateraling over to another agency.

There's nothing stopping you from getting your foot in the door and exploring further options as you move forward, unless you decide to put all your efforts into joining another outfit from the get-go. (For example, I knew that my first law enforcement position and agency was not where I wanted to spend my entire career but the opportunity and experience allowed me to lateral to the position with the outfit I was hoping to join within four years.)

John - I'm a former Infantry Officer who was forced kicking and screaming into MI. CID Officers do VERY little investigating, mostly supervisory/command roles. The actual investigations are typically conducted by Enlisted, Warrant Officers, or Civilians (a very small number, typically only working Fraud cases). Does the Army even allow Officers to transfer into the WO ranks now?

I made the jump to civilian (Federal) LE after 12 years, which, in hindsight, was too late - but up until that point, I'd been having fun (more or less) in the Army, and had an uncommonly good string of luck in assignments (at least from a work perspective). In your shoes, knowing only the little bit you've posted above, I would STRONGLY advise a move into the civilian sector if you really want a career in LE. If you're looking strictly for an investigative career, then I'd narrow that advice down to looking at Federal LE.

The army is allowing officers to go to being a warrant officer. It’s a relatively new option they opened up for CID. I want to work on investigations myself and not just work in a supervisory role that’s why I want to be a warrant officer in CID and not just switch to MP branch and stay as an officer. After switching I would pickup a 6 year obligation but that would allow me to get out at 33 years old. As far as I know I would still be young enough if I decided to leave the army and get into a federal or local law enforcement

John - you're correct. Entry age for Federal LE is before your 37th birthday (some agencies waive that to before your 40th bday for veterans). WOs will in fact conduct investigations, but also have a lot of the "traditional" Officer responsibilities and duties; and senior Warrants are mostly in leadership/command functions, so just be aware of what you're getting into.

Having done the Active Army investigations thing myself (I was CI, not CID), I can tell you that working on "the outside" is a better gig all the way around. If you're not looking to make it to 20, I don't know that you'll be doing yourself any favors spending another 6 years in doing cases that might surprise you.

OTOH, you might be posted somewhere good, and have some great investigative experiences. If you go this route, try your hardest to stay in major troop concentrations, preferably Infantry heavy bases - lots of good crime there. Avoid training bases like the plague, and be prepared to do 85-90% sexual assault cases wherever you end up.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, and best of luck!

Site Supporter
    If you can get your 20 - get the 20 and the retirement. If you leave early, make sure you get into the National Guard or Army Reserve and get the Reserve Retirement. There are very few pension opportunities now and that Tricare opportunity looks pretty good for retirees - especially those retiring before Medicare age. That may not seem important but as you get older it becomes very important.

User Tag List