Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun(s) to buy before moving to MA

I get the sentiment of don't move there. I can't put my guns ahead of what's best for my family. Happy wife, happy life. I think I've educated her enough on firearms, that she won't get brainwashed when we move back. I have to live close to work, so out of state isn't an option. My only hope is that I can just do a grass roots effort, and get other people who have never shot or held a gun, get into it. Basically, I'll have to fight hoplophobia one person at a time.

Getting some revolvers isn't a bad idea, but I figure they'll be there to purchase. Hence, stockpiling on other firearms. I got a message from alohadoug, who told me some info on crazy lawsuits going on against Glock being "dangerous and defective." It's wild. It's infuriating because it comes from a place of ignorance. If an AG came out and said, "I think Striker-fired is not as safe as DA/SA or DAO because the latter have a deliberate first pull, which decrease the chance of a negligent discharge, therefore, Striker-fired will not be approved, but any DA/SA or DAO is." People would be like, that's bullshit, but then a lot of people, wouldn't totally disagree with her reasoning. It'd be an arguable and debatable conclusion, but at least it's knowledge based. The whole, there's no loaded chamber indicator, so that gun is not safe, is absurd.

I guess this thread has evolved. So...back to OP, do I get a new laptop for work, or pay a premium for an EDC X9, since I won't be able to wait the 8 month lead time? Haha.
    Last edited by Qaz98; 11-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.

As if Charlton Heston's ghost himself, I found an STI sale and the DVC Carry would be under 2500 out the door.

Just a little clarification for the rest of the audience...the AG, using Consumer Protection rules, requires either a trigger pull of 10+ pounds or two separate actions (i.e. a manual safety plus trigger pull such as 1911). All of the S&W M&Ps sold by dealers have a trigger pull greater than 10lbs. An owner can then have an Apex or other trigger added to reduce the weight but a dealer (FFL) can not sell one like that...
    In the AG's suit with Glock, she is arguing that the Glock trigger is "dangerous or defective" because it allows for negiligent discharges. She cited three examples, none in Mass, all of which involve Glocks being carried not in a holster but in a purse or pocket. One of the pocket ones had an aftermarket competition trigger (<3lbs iirc) installed and just shoved in a pants pocket. Her argument against Glocks but in favor of S&W when the triggers are even (i.e. NY1 on the Glock) is that Glock's LCI is not big enough...insert joke here...

Got to love this state.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It’s called “lawfare.” It’s why Hillary wants to repeal PLCAA. Has nothing to do with actual safety, only control and power.

I would buy only guns I intended to keep. Buying a bunch of Glocks and selling them before you’v tried to wear them out could look like time and attention for the purpose of making a profit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It’s called “lawfare.” It’s why Hillary wants to repeal PLCAA. Has nothing to do with actual safety, only control and power.

I would buy only guns I intended to keep. Buying a bunch of Glocks and selling them before you’v tried to wear them out could look like time and attention for the purpose of making a profit.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by alohadoug View Post
    Just a little clarification for the rest of the audience...the AG, using Consumer Protection rules, requires either a trigger pull of 10+ pounds or two separate actions (i.e. a manual safety plus trigger pull such as 1911).
    Has she even fired a gun? Every other debate issue in this country, is argued from both sides. Expert 1 argues from his rationale and Expert 2 argues from her rationale. Only in the firearms issue, it is lopsided, in that Non-Experts argue from their perspective, with no knowledge base.

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    ...It's infuriating because it comes from a place of ignorance...
    It would be easier for you to understand if you get rid of the notion that she's ignorant because she's not. She knows full well what she's doing, but she's a TYRANT who does these things for political gain, and she does not care about you.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    It would be easier for you to understand if you get rid of the notion that she's ignorant because she's not. She knows full well what she's doing, but she's a TYRANT who does these things for political gain, and she does not care about you.
    This ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    It's likely a permanent move. I spent all day trying to decipher ownership and carry requirements.
    My suggestion here is to contact folks who are affiliated with the Mass pro-gun organizations. When I moved to Chicago, I spent some time emailing with folks who at the forefront of fighting for gunrights in IL. Including one of the co-plantiffs on the McDonald case. Talking with those guys made a largely indecipherable wall of text and political double-speak easier to interpret. It also gave me the names of high quality, pro-gun, attorneys, to keep on file.

As a frame of reference, my current inventory is a Glock 43, 26, 19, 19 w/Robar customization, Sig 229 E2, HKs P30sk, VP9sk, PX4CC, Hudson H9, and a McRib Springfield XDM 4.5", which I'll look to sell before I move.

So, like I'm pretty much covered in terms of home defense, concealed carry purpose weapons - and just seeing what people would indulge in - I think a 1911 or two, to round out the firearms. I had said the H9 was my indulgence, but, here I am asking for more ideas.
    I don't think that H9 is gonna work for you, man. You should sell it (to me) before you move.

I would focus on rare(r) things not in production or recently introduced in the scenario of a permanent move. Buy once, cry once - because if you don't buy now, you may never get a chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Her response? “Yeah, but most of my family is there and guns aren’t everything you know...”
    My wife one time intimated that she wouldn't mind moving to New Jersey (where a portion of her family is from). I said, "No." She said, "Guns are aren't everything you know!"

And I said, "Neither is family. And I've never had a gun let me down in a time of need. I'm not moving to fucking 'Jersey."

That was the only (and last) time we discussed moving to New Jersey.

Marriage is compromise, right? So we compromised, we're not moving to New Jersey, but now I have to buy plane tickets once every other year to send her to visit family in 'Jersey. Totally worth it.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    I guess that's everything scarier and worse.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My wife one time intimated that she wouldn't mind moving to New Jersey (where a portion of her family is from). I said, "No." She said, "Guns are aren't everything you know!"

And I said, "Neither is family. And I've never had a gun let me down in a time of need. I'm not moving to fucking 'Jersey."

That was the only (and last) time we discussed moving to New Jersey.

Marriage is compromise, right? So we compromised, we're not moving to New Jersey, but now I have to buy plane tickets once every other year to send her to visit family in 'Jersey. Totally worth it.
    I basically said the same thing. “I know guns aren’t everything, but at the same time you’re literally unnecessarily limiting our own ability to defend ourselves.” So I then said “I won’t move to Massachusetts, but if you want to move closer to family and/or want to be on the east coast, I’ll move to Vermont or NH and then we can drive there. But I’m not moving to Boston.”

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List