Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun(s) to buy before moving to MA

What gun(s) to buy before moving to MA

Sort of serious, sort of fun post. Moving to MA with their roster of approved firearms and other restrictions. What gun or guns should I get before moving there. I'm debating between a really high end Wilson Combat 1911 (EDC X9) or STI (like DVC carry), and just buying whatever is off roster. I have a few months to save, I think.

As I understand it, the roster doesn't make owning non roster guns illegal, just that dealers can only sell what is on the roster.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Qaz98; 11-15-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    I guess the answer depends on what guns are on the roster.

Depends a lot of on how long you will be there. Is this a permanent or temporary (<5 years) move?

If it's temporary, buy precisely what you NEED that isn't on the roster to sustain you for your temporary stay.

If it's permanent, buy everything you could ever WANT.

___

Example - When I moved to Chicago from Texas - I knew it was a temporary move of 5-6 years in length, where I would be very busy professionally and have minimal time to pursue shooting as a hobby (only as a skill). So, I bought what I needed. Two redundant handguns and two redundant carbines, all chambered in the same caliber (9x19), and several thousands rounds of practice ammo, followed by a couple of thousand rounds of defensive ammo.
    ___

If tomorrow I got a job and had to move permanently to say California - I would sell off a large cross-section of things and buy a few things that I really WANT to have in my life. A Korth revolver, a STI Costa Carry Comp, some CZs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I guess the answer depends on what guns are on the roster.
    https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...ter%209-17.pdf

It's pretty standard fare, like your typical Glocks, S&W, Ruger, stuff. I just noticed they don't have VP9SKs, so I may have to get a second one. Although, it's updated twice a year or so, so it may come down the pipe. Or it may not. It's really a bland selection. So I already grabbed a PX4CC and a Hudson H9. I guess I fall more under the having more than just a quality few - I tell my wife it's an investment. Haha.

They do have competition shooting roster as well, but I haven't gotten into that yet - and they have a lot of STIs on that, so I could live with one of those. Haha.
    https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...%2009-2017.pdf

It's likely a permanent move. I spent all day trying to decipher ownership and carry requirements.

As a frame of reference, my current inventory is a Glock 43, 26, 19, 19 w/Robar customization, Sig 229 E2, HKs P30sk, VP9sk, PX4CC, Hudson H9, and a McRib Springfield XDM 4.5", which I'll look to sell before I move.

So, like I'm pretty much covered in terms of home defense, concealed carry purpose weapons - and just seeing what people would indulge in - I think a 1911 or two, to round out the firearms. I had said the H9 was my indulgence, but, here I am asking for more ideas.
    Last edited by Qaz98; 11-16-2017 at 08:18 AM.

In addition to the "Roster" we here in Mass also have to deal with an Attorney General that uses the Consumer Protection laws to attack gun owners and gun sales. You'll notice on the roster you linked to, Glocks of all calibers are listed. The AG is preventing dealers from stocking/selling Glocks because they lack a loaded chamber indicator and other "safety" features. So dealers can sell pre-1994 Gen 2 Glocks but they usually sell for about $750 (from the G19). You can sell privately face-to-face but there is the "Mass premium" on those sales.

Bigger issue is the magazines. Only standard capacity magazines allowed by law (as I understand it) are those manufactured prior to 1994. People around here routinely paid $50+ for Glock U notch or Square Notch magazines. So you will need 10 round magazines for your PX4CC and all other current production guns. There are NO exceptions!

Be aware of the current climate towards MSR. Basically the AG has banned the sale/transfer of all AR/AK patterned rifles effective 7/20/2016. In her statement announcing the ban, she said that all sales of those rifle since 1994 were technically illegal but she did not intend to prosecute AT THIS TIME! The political/legal headaches may not make it worth it.

If you can at all avoid moving here, DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Google "move to massachusetts with guns." There's a 26 page thread on Northeast Shooters. If it doesn't change your mind about the move, it should have the info you need, with many finer points discussed, including member attorneys.

I would say get some revolvers and some effective long guns that are not prohibited.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My wife has expressed interest in moving back to the Boston area (she’s originally from there) at some point. I gave her a funny look and said “you do realize that I’d have to sell off most of what few guns I do have and figure out as well as vet a new concealed carry setup, right?” Her response? “Yeah, but most of my family is there and guns aren’t everything you know...”

The struggle is real.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Don’t.

Just don’t.

New Hamphire if anything. I fled Mass for New Hampshire and will never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Don’t.

Just don’t.

New Hamphire if anything. I fled Mass for New Hampshire and will never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This^^^ Just don't do it. Commute. Just about everywhere in MA is relatively commute-able from Southern NH or VT.

If someone wanted to make money, they could buy some new Glocks before moving there. You can legally do 4 face-to-face sales a year, and every transaction needs to be entered into a state database. After 4 in a year, there's no way to sell them (until the next year) because FFLs can't transfer them. The AG has put stores out of business for doing it.

The "Mass premium" on Glock sales means that if a MA subject (which is nowhere near as good as being a U.S. citizen) can find someone selling a new one, they will probably be paying $800 or more, and that may not even include any mags. That's for a Gen4. I have no idea about any of the newer models because I've never seen one in MA. You could probably name your price and someone would pay it.

I know a guy who gets $150 each for pre-ban (23+ year old) square-notch mags. I think he's getting about $80 for the older U-notches, and they may not even be in great shape. Many people won't pay that, but there's always a few who will. Bring old mags, if you got'em.

On the newer guns you'd obviously be stuck with 10-round mags max because pre-bans don't exist.
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

User Tag List