Thread: StatGear Ausus

StatGear Ausus

Saw this StatGear Ausus folder on Soldier Systems.

Looks like a solid knife that can take a beating. And for $38 right now its sounding like a good deal.

I'm thinking of getting one and another 4 for Christmas gifts for some relatives.

What are your thoughts? Any other cool knives for about the same price I should consider?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Well I put in a pledge for 4. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Got my knives this weekend. I'm pretty impressed with them, carrying one now. I'll post some pics and details soon.

I bought one as a birthday present for my brother. It seems well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I've been playing with and carrying my Ausus for a few days. It is a large, beefy folder with a couple nice features usually only found on much more expensive knives, namely:
    - blade pivots on bears for smooth flipper action
    - deep carry clip for more discreet carry
    - D2 tool steel blade

Here is a pic of the box that is comes in. Pretty nice.
    Name:  DSC_1987.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  100.4 KB

The back of the box gives the specs.
    Name:  DSC_1990.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  51.7 KB

The knife is held fast in the box with some die cut foam. The micarta scales are a little dulled from carrying it. They were nice a brown initially.
    Name:  DSC_1988.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  100.2 KB

Like I said, it's a decent sized folder with a 3-1/2" blade. Here it is with a few common knives.
    Name:  DSC_1984.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  41.5 KB

It is not the most ergonomic knife but it fills the hand and feels sturdy and beefy. It feels like a quality knife.
    Name:  DSC_1991.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  33.0 KB

Probably the only thing I do not like about the knife is the thumb studs for flipping the blade. I am used to thumb holes for opening knives and prefer those. I would have preferred a flipper tab extension on the blade to allow a push of the blade from the back of the grip like some of the Zero Tolerance flippers. But that said, I am getting used to quickly flipping the knife open with the thumb stud.

I got 4 of these knives to use as Christmas presents for myself and others. That quantity brought the price down to $33 each + shipping. The quality is consistent between them all. There are a few color options between blade color and scales color. It was hard for my inner tactical fanboy not to claim the all blacked out knife but I will be gifting that one to my tactical fanboy father.

So all in all I am impressed with the quality of this knife at the price point. We will see how the knife holds up over the next few months of use.

One question I do have is: How much care does the D2 Tool Steel blade need. Its in the white. Is it going to rust quickly? The knives came well oiled but I'm sure I have wiped most of that off.

User Tag List