Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first revolver

My first revolver

I just bought a Ruger Gp100 with a 6 inch barrel stainless steel. Runnings had it for sale for $619. I picked it up and it felt real nice I just had to have it, and I thought the price was good for a brand new pistol. On my way home I stopped by the range to shoot it. Its a .357 but I shot a box of .38 out of it which is probably what I will always shoot out of it. I have never owned or really shot a revolver before, I have nothing to judge or compare to but I have to say it shot nice for me. I shot different types of ammo out of it and they all shot equally well. It seems like its built like a tank. I really like the simplicity of the revolver not trying to take anything away from semi-autos. After all you must have a mixture in your collection I bet.

Site Supporter
    You selected a fine revolver made by a company that will provide outstanding customer service. I've owned three of these and unwisely sold them. Yes, most of us fire .38 Spl ammo for practice and have learned that it suffices for most other uses. If you are a new shooter, welcome to the club. If you are serious about the endeavor, you'll benefit
    by hand loading your ammo. No other handgun caliber lends itself to troublefree hand loading than does the .38 Spl.

I'm curious. What were the paperwork requirements and approval process for buying tte handgun in N.Y. state?

Congrats on your purchase! Revolvers are addicting. Your GP100, with its weight and barrel length, should handle mid-range 357 loads comfortably. When I first shot some low-medium power 158 grain 357 loads out of my 6 inch 586, I was surprised how tame it was. 357 has a fairly wide range of power so not everything you shoot has to be uncomfortable.

GP100 is a great choice. I bought a used one 7 or 8 years ago and have been very pleased with it. Mine came with the old pattern rubber grips with wood insert, they are amazing. Grippy in all the right places, cool looking, and they let you get a higher grip on the gun than the Houge grips most of them come with anymore. If you're has the Houge grips I highly recommend getting some of these instead.

http://shopruger.com/Rubber-Grip-w_-...uctinfo/70083/

Many congratulations! I bought a GP100 years ago only because it was a lot cheaper than an S&W 686, which is what I really wanted at the time.

Over the years, the GP100 has become my favorite 357 mag revolver. The trigger smoothed out after a lot of use, I love how easy it is to take apart for cleaning, and I shoot it more accurately than any other handgun I own. You can't beat the durability. I used to shoot it in IDPA, using full-house 357 magnum 125 grain ammo, and it is just as tight and accurate as ever.
    Ordinary guy

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    You selected a fine revolver made by a company that will provide outstanding customer service. I've owned three of these and unwisely sold them. Yes, most of us fire .38 Spl ammo for practice and have learned that it suffices for most other uses. If you are a new shooter, welcome to the club. If you are serious about the endeavor, you'll benefit
    by hand loading your ammo. No other handgun caliber lends itself to troublefree hand loading than does the .38 Spl.

I'm curious. What were the paperwork requirements and approval process for buying tte handgun in N.Y. state?
    I had to waite 4 months to get a pistol permit. At the store I had to fill out 4 pages of paperwork then once it clears they give me a certificate with the gun model, serial number etc. I then pay for the gun, but I cant take it home with me yet. I then take the certificate and bring it to my county clerks office they log it in and put the gun on my pistol permit. I fill out paper work and pay 8 dollars and they give me a ok paper to pick up my already paid for gun. I go back to the sore show them the paper work that the county clerks office has given me. I fill out more paper work telling them I have not committed any felonies or got arrested since I bought and paid for the gun. They then walk me out the door with my purchase.

Site Supporter
    Are you allowed to carry the pistol when not on your own property?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin62 View Post
    I had to waite 4 months to get a pistol permit. At the store I had to fill out 4 pages of paperwork then once it clears they give me a certificate with the gun model, serial number etc. I then pay for the gun, but I cant take it home with me yet. I then take the certificate and bring it to my county clerks office they log it in and put the gun on my pistol permit. I fill out paper work and pay 8 dollars and they give me a ok paper to pick up my already paid for gun. I go back to the sore show them the paper work that the county clerks office has given me. I fill out more paper work telling them I have not committed any felonies or got arrested since I bought and paid for the gun. They then walk me out the door with my purchase.
    Makes me hate my current residence of Colorado a little less...

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Are you allowed to carry the pistol when not on your own property?
    I have what is known as a sportsman and dwelling permit. I can carry it on the address listed on the permit as the dwelling part. The sportsman means I can carry it conceled for target shooting, trapping, fishing hiking, bird watching, cross country skiing, Atving etc. I just have to make sure it is concealed. I can even carry it in my car on me coming and going to these activities, I can even go to the store on my way to and from there. I am not going to push the issue with carrying it. I keep it locked in a case in my trunk while coming and going. The main thing is to just make sure you have it concealed, if someone notices it or sees a imprint and calls the police I am in trouble.

Site Supporter
    That's very interesting and not as restrictive as some other places. Not pushing the envelop is wise. If you fish, hike, or hunt in the same area, you might consider meeting game warden or ranger type persons and disclose the fact that you have the permit and sometimes may be carrying the weapon. This action would be a courtesy to officers who may or may not be comfortable with civilians carrying weapons. Courtesy shows respect, and respect is paramount in establishing communication. Also since your 6 inch GP100 projects a sporting type image, your choice in weapons is excellent for sporting use as well as defense. Hopefully no one will post that if the op has a permit, then it's nobody's business whether or not he does have a permit or might carry his revolver while out in the field.

User Tag List