Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9mm conversion cylinder work

I don't know if a 9mm rechamber leaves enough shoulder to hold headspace. I wouldn't bet on it.
    I see no way for a clip to bend once it is in the gun and the cylinder spun to check for free rotation.
    If this worries you, best stick to .38s.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    My experience with moon clips dealt primarily with the half moon variety used in S&W and Colt .45 ACP revolvers. Using the same ones repeatedly could bend them. Newer moon clips(full moon)are more stiff and hold rounds so securely that a tool is needed to install and remove cases. My opinion is that moon clips are a giant pain in the ass whether they be full or half. Further, if an individual were placed in a survival or other tense situation and his only handgun was a 9mm revolver dependent on moon clips, then he would be highly compromised unless he had a bushel basket full of preloaded moon clips. If he had several clips but no tool to load and unload them, he would be screwed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My experience with moon clips dealt primarily with the half moon variety used in S&W and Colt .45 ACP revolvers. Using the same ones repeatedly could bend them. Newer moon clips(full moon)are more stiff and hold rounds so securely that a tool is needed to install and remove cases. My opinion is that moon clips are a giant pain in the ass whether they be full or half. Further, if an individual were placed in a survival or other tense situation and his only handgun was a 9mm revolver dependent on moon clips, then he would be highly compromised unless he had a bushel basket full of preloaded moon clips. If he had several clips but no tool to load and unload them, he would be screwed.
    I never used a tool for the 9mm LCR I had for a bit, factory and SpeedBeez clips.

"I've read moonclips can be problematic due to bending issues".

I've never bent one. Loading and unloading is much faster with moonclips.
    Yoke is held in by a single screw. Takes about a minute and a half to swap cylinder and yoke assembly.

After the first timing (which takes me an average of about 5 minutes per cylinder), fitment is not a problem.

"Does the moonclip cut in the cylinder preclude using 9mm without moonclips?"

Yes, but not for that reason. In the conversions, the round headspaces on the moonclip, not the case snout.

I carry an extra 15 rounds (3 moonclips) in a Walmart pill bottle. You unload the empties at home, so that is not an issue. Loading/unloading rounds into the moonclips can be done without a tool, and that is the way I usually do it, but a 12-point 3/8" boxend wrench makes a handy unloading tool if you want one.Name:  2018-12-17 18.07.32.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by JimCunn; 08-28-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Does the moonclip cut in the cylinder preclude using 9mm without moonclips? If so, could you get a conversion cylinder made up for 9mm without moon clips?
    Also how hard is to change cylinders? Is it just one or two fasteners? Any fitment issues to swap cylinders back and forth multiple times?
    Without a cylinder that has been machined from the get-go for 9mm, no. As explained by a previous writer, there is 0.001" difference between the diameters of a case mouth of a 9mm and the side of a .38 Special. There isn't enough there to machine in a shelf for the case mouth of the cartridge, as there is in the cylinder of a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk.

Changing cylinders removing/replacing one screw (that you don't want to lose, as it's fitted to the crane). There may be a need to do something with the ejector star of the 9mm cylinder, but I have no feel for that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

The ejector star has to be cut thinner to accommodate the moonclips.

If I picked up one of the 9mm conversion Blackhawks, do they use moonclips? And if so can they be used without moonclips if desired?

Blackhawk Convertible is a rod ejection single action with two cylinders. . 9mm headspaces on the case mouth just like an auto. No way to get in a clip anyhow.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-29-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I was bending 940 moon clips in my pocket. I would always carry a couple of reloads out of respect for the revolvers 5 shot capacity. I tried two different 940s, a couple of years apart before returning to 38/357 & Speed Strips. It just wasn't what I was looking for, I did so want it to work out.

User Tag List