Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: P320 came back from voluntary upgrade

I did see one photo of a modified P320 slide some where that had a long, shiny stripe along the entire right side that might have resulted from SIG milling down a step.

I used to carry the P320 Compact as my carry gun. After learning of the potential dangers of it firing when dropped I questioned the overall design and contemplated selling it. By then I had already purchased a sub-compact conversion kit, additional magazines for both sizes, and holsters. One of the subcompact magazines I purchased direct from Sig was stamped "Made in USA." That mag would not drop free when the release button was pressed. The "Made in Italy" magazine which came in the conversion kit works flawlessly. I spoke to a Sig rep who said he had not heard of this issue with anyone else. He swapped out my USA mag for another one that was also marked "Made in USA". The new mag has the same fail to drop free problem. I measured the dimensions of the mag with calipers and can only find variations of a few thousands of an inch. I think the issue is with the location of the hole that the mag release engages in the mag body.
    The lack of a disconnector pocket (what Sig calls it) in my Compact slide is concerning to me. I am torn with this gun because I really like how it shoots and I've invested a lot of money in the 320 concept. I know Sig is losing money with the 320 debacle but if they made the commitment to fix the guns they should have done it properly. The cost of a new slide would have kept me from losing faith in their company and their guns. The SP2022 was going to be what I replaced the 320 with until they announced the voluntary upgrade, now sadly, I wouldn't touch another Sig. The P226 I loved in the early 2000's is a much higher grade pistol than the meh quality guns they currently produce. Rather than trying to expand into every possible market I wish they would go back to making quality guns.

Quote Originally Posted by seamastersw View Post
    I used to carry the P320 Compact as my carry gun. After learning of the potential dangers of it firing when dropped I questioned the overall design and contemplated selling it. By then I had already purchased a sub-compact conversion kit, additional magazines for both sizes, and holsters. One of the subcompact magazines I purchased direct from Sig was stamped "Made in USA." That mag would not drop free when the release button was pressed. The "Made in Italy" magazine which came in the conversion kit works flawlessly. I spoke to a Sig rep who said he had not heard of this issue with anyone else. He swapped out my USA mag for another one that was also marked "Made in USA". The new mag has the same fail to drop free problem. I measured the dimensions of the mag with calipers and can only find variations of a few thousands of an inch. I think the issue is with the location of the hole that the mag release engages in the mag body.
    The lack of a disconnector pocket (what Sig calls it) in my Compact slide is concerning to me. I am torn with this gun because I really like how it shoots and I've invested a lot of money in the 320 concept. I know Sig is losing money with the 320 debacle but if they made the commitment to fix the guns they should have done it properly. The cost of a new slide would have kept me from losing faith in their company and their guns. The SP2022 was going to be what I replaced the 320 with until they announced the voluntary upgrade, now sadly, I wouldn't touch another Sig. The P226 I loved in the early 2000's is a much higher grade pistol than the meh quality guns they currently produce. Rather than trying to expand into every possible market I wish they would go back to making quality guns.
    Just to piggyback on your comments above, I, too, heavily invested in the 320 platform in both 9mm and .40. I stoically weathered the passions and dramas of the back and forth winds over the last few months, and now that we are learning that there may be additional issues, I find myself holstering my SP2022 in .40 each morning, even though I don't shoot it as well.

There are many reasons for that switch in addition to the 320 issues (a desire to carry a hammer in aiwb, consolidation to a single primary caliber as my wife carries a 239 in .40, etc), but I am of the belief that my main reason for the switch is shared by many, which is, emotionally, I am just done.

It seems to me this is where Sig has most miscalculated. I am an admitted sig fan boy, but the open questions and perceived time investment to get it all settled is beyond my desire and attention span.

I don't regret getting the 320's, they were a great first year of ccw pistol, and I believe they helped me become a better shooter. For now, they will be reassigned to home defense and deployed in the various safes if needed.

I think the most important lesson I learned was not to be a heavy investor of early adoption. Oh, and to remember that just because a company provides defensive weapons, does not automatically equate to them serving your best interests over profit.

No bitterness on my part, but certainly time to move on.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TexasSiegfried; 11-17-2017 at 02:45 PM.

I should add that I've had other problems with Sig Sauer in the past few years. My agency purchased P229's a few years ago that were equipped with the newer style long extractor. There were several problems which were first dismissed by Sig. Then over the course of two years several components were blamed for the issues until the guns were all returned and replaced with another brand. My agency is still involved with a lawsuit over the P229's. When I first started my career with a different agency I selected a 9mm P226 as my pistol. This was in 2003 and the gun went approx 15,000 rounds without a malfunction only to be retired when I changed jobs. The P229 I was issued was made in 2012 or 2013 and the day I received it I was not impressed one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I haven't sent my P320s in yet -- I wanted to see how the process went, and if it evolved along the way, first. I have six (a fullsize, a compact, a carry, a subcompact, a compact with full length slide, and a fullsize RX -- all 9mm) and I just pulled them out of the safe to compare how all the slides are milled.

So I have six 9mm slides (2 fullsize, 2 compact, 1 subcompact, and 1 fullsize RX) and they are milled 6 different ways. Four will obviously end up with the sub-optimal disconnector ramp, one might have issues, and one will be "perfect".

Attachment 21690

What a mess. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I personally believe that Sig should replace the slides on guns that aren't compatible with the disconnector ramp cut, but it seems that's not happening and unless parts start failing they probably aren't going to.
    This is my 320c RX slide that came back, I don't remember if it had any of the slide cuts like all of those in your pictures. I think it may also looked like the one one the far right but I really can't remember. My sc is currently at sig now and I believe, (but not sure) it looked like the one on the far right as well. Seems a bit odd that a manufacturer will have so many different slide configurations and still have complete consistency in the operation of the firearm but apparently that doesn't seem to be the case. This is not inspiring confidence in Sig but I guess that is a captain obvious statement.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is the slide on my 320X5 which seems to have the milling on the opposite side than the OP's pistol. I assume that Sig would not have to do additional milling since it is on the opposite side but who knows. I may wait a bit more before I send it in just to see if they change the process any.....

Name:  IMG_1676.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  P320 slides.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  95.4 KB

This is a photo posted on another forum of three P320 slides all modified by SIG at the same go-around. Obviously, they all had different lightening routs. The one on the right looks as if it may have had a step milled down, or something else smoothed up for the disconnector head to ride on.
    Last edited by pblanc; 11-18-2017 at 10:23 AM.

There's no way Sig manufactures all these slides in-house, I've seen way too many variations even within the same serial number ranges.
    I'm guessing that they're sub-contracting out the "upgrade" machining as well.
    What a clusterfuck.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I hate to rub salt in a wound, but the machining on a lot of those slides looks like someone did it with a dremel. Seriously, this is the best Sig can do?

I get that they have a HYUGE number of "upgrades" to get through, but if it were my pistol, I'd rather have a two-four week turn around with quality craftsmanship than a one week turn around that looked like this stuff. It's really sad how far Sig has fallen...

I’m feeling really apprehensive about sending mine in for the so called upgrade.

User Tag List