Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SBR versus AR pistol question

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    You could do that, but you wouldn't accomplish what you're trying to do. SBRs don't have to have stocks.
    I built a pistol lower and solved the problem. Thanks.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Good call. If you haven't already, get the SB Tactical SBA3 Adjustable Arm Brace for it. Brownell's is accepting preorders for about $116.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

SBRs don't have to have stocks.
    Can you explain further?

The definition for a short-barreled rifle in 26 USC 5845(a) includes "a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length." If you make a rifle into an SBR, it doesn't have to have a stock. If having a stock was a prerequisite for a firearm being an SBR, then it wouldn't be illegal to make a rifle into a handgun. But it is.

The definition for a short-barreled rifle in 26 USC 5845(a) includes "a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length." If you make a rifle into an SBR, it doesn't have to have a stock. If having a stock was a prerequisite for a firearm being an SBR, then it wouldn't be illegal to make a rifle into a handgun. But it is.
    Having a stock is part of the definition of a rifle. So, by not having a stock, you have a handgun. Another myth is you can go back and forth between an SBR and handgun. Once you register and make an SBR, it cannot go back to a handgun. This is due to the registration as a rifle, a short barreled rifle (form 1 or form 2), but a rifle nonetheless.
    Last edited by Hansohn Brothers; 05-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    Having a stock is part of the definition of a rifle. So, by not having a stock, you have a handgun. Another myth is you can go back and forth between an SBR and handgun. Once you register and make an SBR, it cannot go back to a handgun. This is due to the registration as a rifle, a short barreled rifle (form 1 or form 2), but a rifle nonetheless.
    Having a stock is part of the definition of a title I rifle. A stock is not required for an SBR. Read 18 USC 921(a), or the section of the NFA I quoted in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 USC 921(a)
    (7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
    (8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
    There's no shoulder stock requirement in the bolded part.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 05-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.

We'll just have to disagree i think.

Clevernickname is correct, and it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. The definitions in 26USC5845, clearly defines which firearms must be registered, which includes, "a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. ". Which means if it was a rifle, and you later it to have an overall length less than 26", or barrel length less than 16", you have made an NFA firearm, which is only legal to make, possess, transfer if properly registered and the tax is paid.

Here is a link to the portion of the US Code with the definitions. The relevant portion is 26USC5845(a)(4). https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/5845
    Last edited by DMF13; 05-05-2018 at 02:59 AM.

I see y'all's point. Thank you for the clarification.

I saw an AR "pistol" with "brace" in use at a USPSA ish shoot yesterday.
    Any difference from a SBR is purely in the mind of a gullible BATF clerk.

Glock specific receiver and those transparent magazines in a DIY parts gun shot well.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List