Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR versus AR pistol question

SBR versus AR pistol question

I have a lower that has been engraved as an SBR but I want to be able to travel with it unencumbered by having to notify the ATF everytime I go out of state. Can I remove the adjustable buffer tube and replace it with a pistol buffer tube and add a brace, or should I purchase a new lower and add the pistol components to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Site Supporter
    Others likely have more experience in this than me, but my understanding is that once that lower/firearm is in the NFA registry it's an SBR until its removed from the registry.

It would be cheaper and easier to just build up another lower with a brace.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

SBR versus AR pistol question

The better alternative is to put a 16”+ barrel on. Once the short barrel is removed, it is no longer an SBR and can be treated as a title 1 firearm. I don’t think you can convert a rifle to a handgun.
    Last edited by Hansohn Brothers; 11-14-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Advantage to what ragnar_d suggested is that if you have other short uppers floating around there are no issues with, "constructive possession" or whatever they call it if it's a pistol lower. Also it is the cheapest route and the configuration I'd leave the weapon in in my home, (if I only owned one SBR) shoot someone with it no one is taking your NFA item, (if that is a concern for you). Advantage to what Hansohn Brothers recommended is that a 16" upper is pretty useful, more so that a 10-12" one in 5.56mm. Other advantage is that you aren't leaving around a Title 1 for grabs when you are out of town, which is a huge bonus in my book, only downside I can see is cost and if it is stolen in transport in the even that you fly, having another set of holdovers depending on your zero, maybe added cost of optic?

If you want an AR pistol, purchase a new lower for that purpose. If you want a rifle to travel with, go with the 16” upper on your SBR lower. You cannot legally make a rifle lower into a pistol lower unless it was initially configured as a pistol. That is my understanding of the legalities. Caveat, I’m not a lawyer. I do, however, have an AR pistol and a pending Form 1.

Ok thank you for the advice. I'll look into the 16" upper. I currently have 3 SBRs and no full size ARs. I appreciate the input.

www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

As LJP stated, buy a new lower for a pistol build. It makes everything easier.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you've bought a loose unassembled lower, do you have any way of knowing if it's listed as a pistol or rifle lower?

What makes a bare lower into one or the other?
    Last edited by STI; 11-14-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    If you've bought a loose unassembled lower, do you have any way of knowing if it's listed as a pistol or rifle lower?
    There is a "Type" section the 4473 (Section D, Question 27) which is completed by the Transferer/Seller - The ATF says (from the instructions on form 4473):

Types of firearms include, but are not limited to: pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame and other firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles
    or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell (pistol grip firearm) or NFA firearms (machinegun, silencer, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, destructive device or "any other weapon").
    So a bare AR15 receiver can be (SHOULD BE) listed as a "receiver" or "frame" on the 4473 (either was fine with my ATF inspector, when I sold guns). Note that if a lower receiver was assembled with a stock it was designated a rifle. If it had a pistol buffer tube installed it was designated a pistol. If there was no buffer tube, but there was an LPK installed it was still a receiver or frame.

What makes a bare lower into one or the other?
    The installation of a stock, installation of a shoulder stock makes a lower receiver a "rifle" receiver. And generally according to the ATF removal of the stock does NOT convert the receiver back. But this is pretty damn gray, because according to the ATF, installing a 16" barrel in a pistol and then attaching a stock (in that order) is a legal rifle conversion. But converting "pistol" AR into a rifle AR and back again, is/is not legal? Depends on the damn time of day and the wind, it seems.

My opinion (IANAL) - If one has a receiver that is serialized and stamped SBR you avoid this problem. If you have a bare receiver, turn it into a rifle or a pistol. If you go rifle, it stays rifle, unless you SBR it. If you go pistol, it stays a pistol, unless you SBR it. - It's just easier that way.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-14-2017 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Note that if a lower receiver was assembled with a stock it was designated a rifle. If it had a pistol buffer tube installed it was designated a pistol.
    FYI that's no longer the case as of a couple years ago. Now a lower receiver with a stock or pistol buffer tube installed is still to be considered a receiver.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

User Tag List