Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Lucky Gunner video -Sad

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    This...

Confession: I started shooting with a moonclipped-686 and did and actually started USPSA and IDPA shooting it.

It broke the hammer stud on that. Then I broke the hammer stud on my backup mod 19. I sold both of those guns after S&W repaired 'em.

I like S&W revos, but, damn... They aren't exactly built like the tanks everyone makes 'em out to be...

I keep thinking of buying a j-frame (442 or 642), but then look at the Kimber... Sights I like, etc, probably built better... I dunno...
    Got a chance to play around with a Kimber. It is pretty nice as far as wheelies go. The sights are a big plus and it shoots about on par with what I could do with a model 64.

Also, starting with a 686 in IDPA? Damn dude. You found Jesus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Got a chance to play around with a Kimber. It is pretty nice as far as wheelies go. The sights are a big plus and it shoots about on par with what I could do with a model 64.

Also, starting with a 686 in IDPA? Damn dude. You found Jesus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Yeah... I was afraid of semi-autos for a long time. (Remember, I wasn't raised around guns...)

The kimber looks... "Big"... as in, "too big" for pocket gun...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I like S&W revos, but, damn... They aren't exactly built like the tanks everyone makes 'em out to be...
    I can't remember ever hearing or reading that S&Ws were tanks. That always went to Ruger.

I'll point out that the GP100's hammer axle is super easy to change if you had to, but I've never heard of one breaking. (This is where DB comes in with some knowledge and I learn something...)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

N frames are tanks. The other S&W’s, not so much.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    N frames are tanks. The other S&W’s, not so much.
    True.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

In my experience with .38/357's the larger the frame, the better results one gets with longevity, reliability, and high round counts. The pre-lock L frame seems to be the sweet spit for me. N frames chambered in .38/357 and in non magnum calibers seem to have a well deserved reputation as tanks, not so much any more with the extra hot magnum offerings that are available.

My 43c has about 600 rounds through it, no failures whatsoever. So does my anecdote cancel out Chris' anecdote?

Lets face it guys, mass produced revolvers aren't built out of machined parts and hand fitted by discerning gunsmiths any longer. Barrel steel is better, heat treatment is better, internal parts are cheaper and wear faster, fit and finish is much worse depending which era you compare them too. Every person that looks to buy a used S&W anything should be aware of Bangor Punta.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Or get someone to spot us 2K of jacketed .38s and we can run yours and two of my M64/10s and see which one chokes first....
    I've shot several K through the Model 10 in my avatar. Probably 10 or 20K of 9mm jacketed bullets. Lead bullets were a mess. When I switched to jacketed, I only cleaned it before matches. I would run an oversize stainless brush and then a patch through each chamber, then brush under the ejector star, I was good to go for several hundred rounds. I never tried to see how many rounds I could go without cleaning. I didn't clean for practice, only matches.

I did break the hammer stud in a couple of revolvers. I think 1 N-frame and maybe a K-frame. However, that was before I knew you shouldn't cycle the gun with the sideplate off and under spring tension. I had one revolver that the hammer stud was broken and it still worked. I didn't discover it until I removed the sideplate to see why my trigger pull had gotten a little rough.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've shot several K through the Model 10 in my avatar. Probably 10 or 20K of 9mm jacketed bullets. Lead bullets were a mess. When I switched to jacketed, I only cleaned it before matches. I would run an oversize stainless brush and then a patch through each chamber, then brush under the ejector star, I was good to go for several hundred rounds. I never tried to see how many rounds I could go without cleaning. I didn't clean for practice, only matches.

I did break the hammer stud in a couple of revolvers. I think 1 N-frame and maybe a K-frame. However, that was before I knew you shouldn't cycle the gun with the sideplate off and under spring tension. I had one revolver that the hammer stud was broken and it still worked. I didn't discover it until I removed the sideplate to see why my trigger pull had gotten a little rough.
    I need to stop being such a cheap bastard and buy plated bullets for my .38s. Hard to consider when I can get hardcast 158 grain SWCs for about seven cents each.

I've seen less instances of the Scandium j-frames breaking a hammer stud... Is this anecdotal? Anyone have insights?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I need to stop being such a cheap bastard and buy plated bullets for my .38s. Hard to consider when I can get hardcast 158 grain SWCs for about seven cents each.
    You can get Berry's for only a little more if you shop around and wait for sales. Or try powdercoated.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-22-2017 at 02:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List