Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Critique my reload and draw

Critique my reload and draw

So I have been stuck recently trying to get my reloads under 2.8-3.0sec in dry practice. I am a bit frustrated with my progress so I thought I would record a couple and post them up for comments.

Gear is as follows:

Holster: CCC Shaggy
    Pistol: G19 w/Vickers mag release
    Mag pouch: JM Custom Kydex

It appears I'm not getting the pistol up high enough so I'm having to look down. Also I think I need to work on bringing the pistol in a bit more so I will be able to index my elbow the same way every time.

Reload Frontal View

Reload Side View

Since I was recording I did one of a draw as well. Please feel free to comment. This is the first time I have seen my draw and it would appear that my press out needs some work. It also appears that I am not getting the gun up high enough on the draw stroke.

Draw frontal view

Draw side view
    Last edited by justcor; 01-21-2012 at 09:07 PM.

You'll save a bit of time if you get the pistol up in your face more during your reload. Also, try using the slide release to drop the slide. It's certainly quicker if you can hit it. Buy some snap caps to load your mag with so the slide will actually drop if you hit the release.

As far as your draw goes I can't comment, I'm not a press out guy. Looks way cleaner than mine. :-)
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    You'll save a bit of time if you get the pistol up in your face more during your reload. Also, try using the slide release to drop the slide. It's certainly quicker if you can hit it. Buy some snap caps to load your mag with so the slide will actually drop if you hit the release.

As far as your draw goes I can't comment, I'm not a press out guy. Looks way cleaner than mine. :-)
    Thanks for the reply. I think after watching the footage a few more times it seems that when I'm bringing the gun back into my workspace my offhand lingers for a second. I think I need to move my offhand off the gun as it starts moving back to my workspace and go straight to my mag pouch as my firing hand finishes bringing the gun in to my workspace and presses the mag release. Also if I bring the pistol back higher I will be able to see the mag well without having to look down. This should help in reducing bobbles.

In fact I took a paint pen to the magwell and marked the outside part so I should be able to see it as an aid to proper insertion.

We are diminished
    I don't know who promulgates that reload so heavily, but your issue isn't that the gun is too low. It's:
    1. The gun is being brought up to an angle too steep to accept a smooth insertion of the magazine, which also means you're moving the gun up and back more than necessary, and
    2. You're racking the slide instead of using the slide release, which is always going to be slower.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I don't know who promulgates that reload so heavily, but your issue isn't that the gun is too low. It's:
    1. The gun is being brought up to an angle too steep to accept a smooth insertion of the magazine, which also means you're moving the gun up and back more than necessary, and
    This.
    Been there done that, had the slow reload to prove it.

Also, move your hands faster.
    Work on moving your hand as fast as possible to the magazine.
    Pause just long enough to get a solid index on the mag.
    Now move your magazine as fast as possible to the gun.
    Pause just long enough to verify alignment and send it home.

There's a lot of time to be saved by learning how to shift gears throughout a manipulation.
    Same with the draw and press out.

Have you tried to stop being left-handed?

I was going to say the same thing about the slide release vs. the overhand rack, but with a Glock left-handed that can be easier said than done.

I know there are techniques, but not sure if any are a notable improvement over the rack.

The efficiency of motion points that Todd and Jody made about angle, handspeed, etc. are probably going to net the biggest improvement on the reload.

Edited to add: Looking at it again...I think the rather severe angle is partially a symptom of how far you've got to rotate the gun to manipulate the mag release with your trigger finger.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 01-22-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Have you tried to stop being left-handed?

I was going to say the same thing about the slide release vs. the overhand rack, but with a Glock left-handed that can be easier said than done.

I know there are techniques, but not sure if any are a notable improvement over the rack.

The efficiency of motion points that Todd and Jody made about angle, handspeed, etc. are probably going to net the biggest improvement on the reload.

Wow, I really wasn't paying as much attention as I should.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Thanks for all the replies and constructive feedback. I will incorporate some of these suggestions into my routine.

I had been one that was stuck on using the support hand in the over-hand grasp technique because of some training I received in the police academy and early in my formal training career based on the "fine vs gross motor skills" theory.

Once I took a serious look at my reload times at speed, I found that I was whiffing/missing a full grip over the top of the slide far too frequently. Alittle over a year ago I decided to use the slide stop lever to release the slide and seriously have not had an issue hitting the slide stop at all during my reloads. For me using the slide stop has been faster and more consistent than grabbing the slide.

Get the Vickers slide stop lever and try it. Your reload times will drop noticeably.

justcor,

ToddG and JodyH had good advice. Without piggy backing too much, I thought I would attach links to two videos on shooting a pistol (Glock) lefty that pretty much cover your options re: manipulations. Good luck with your continued training.

One from ssdsurf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1kWoKTUPf4

One from Grey Group Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A0eJtDz1l4

User Tag List