Thread: Consensus on Crimson Trace Front Activation?

Consensus on Crimson Trace Front Activation?

It seems like the CT lasers are not receiving as much publicity now that red dots are more mainstream and I’ve found a few old threads regarding the CT brand with positives posted on their customer service and front activation models.

Everything still going well? Green still better than red? Any experiences with a PPS M2 model? Not too worried about holsters unless y’all feel the footprint of the gun really changes when laser is attached.

Thanks in advance!
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I have Lasergrips on two guns and laserguards on two guns, all with red lasers. The lasers are great at night and indoors, but worthless outside during the day. They seriously increase the accuracy potential of tiny pocket pistols and would likely also do so with a J frame. On Glock 26 and larger size guns, the improvement is not as great. Unlike a red dot, the laser does not detract noticeably from the concealability of the gun.

Only issue I have had is that a Laserguard on my Glock 26 did not fit my hand well. This was not an issue on any other gun.

I really like the front activation, since activating the laser does not require any extra steps.

I train primarily with the iron sights, with the plan to use whichever sight system happens to become visible first in a more serious situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    In low light, my G17/19 with CTs is monstrous. I did an average low light course with it one time...never again. Everything we did was made so absurdly easy that I think I came away knowing less than when I started.

I'm sure a low light course could be structured in such a way that I wouldn't have such an absurd advantage but to do basic low light shooting with CTs is really just doing an entry level shooting class, because for you it's not really in the dark.

My only complaint is I can't switch instantly from a CT glock to a non-CT glock because the grip shape is different.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

My experience of CT laser products is limited to laser grips, and only for J-frame S&W revolvers.

I have six different Crimson Trace Lasergrips on various J-frames, bought over a period of some 15 years, from the early hard plastic LG-205 and "bird's head" LG-105 and rear-cushion LG-405, to the latest LG-350 model.

The CT instant-on laser grips excel on these little easily concealed revolvers, which would otherwise depend only upon their innate iron sights for achieving accuracy and precision; certainly possible with the typical small fixed J-frame sights in skilled hands, but significantly slower and less certain than a "target-focused" laser dot, at the reasonable ranges at which such guns are typically employed, no more than, say, 7-12 yards.

All of mine are the red laser sort rather than green; having tested them in both light and dark conditions, I'm satisfied that the red is quite visible enough even in broad daylight, and of course the battery life is far longer than the green, not to mention the lesser cost of the red sort.

Among all four of the model types I have, the LG-405 is definitely the most reliable with repect to laser activation.
    Each of the other models I own occasionally fails to activate with a sudden or imperfect grip, but never the LG-405s.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I have the front activated CT laser grip for the Beretta 92, and with a little training, it is a huge advantage in low level light compared to tritium iron sights.

In broad daylight outside, however, it is much less useful. Yes, you can technically see the dot at close range, but it’s so faint that it becomes slower to pick up than iron sights, especially with movement and surfaces of varying color and reflectiveness.

Note that the laser grip will fatten up the grip a bit. For the Beretta, though I prefer a thinner grip, it’s not so bad for my particular hand geometry. However, for some other guns, especially the Glock, the grip profile is altered to such an extent that I find unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List