Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: USPSA as a skills development tool for LE

The biggest issue with LE in USPSA, and for most other people is

People are clueless about drills vs. scenarios. What competition is and what it isn't. Stages are not scenarios. I don't care what your IDPA SO says.

Those targets are not people, they are targets for scoring points. Those barrels and screens are not "walls", they are hard cover/vision barriers. This isn't Live Action Role Playing. It's a sport. The only object is to achieve your potential and eventually win.
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    The biggest issue with LE in USPSA, and for most other people is

People are clueless about drills vs. scenarios. What competition is and what it isn't. Stages are not scenarios. I don't care what your IDPA SO says.

Those targets are not people, they are targets for scoring points. Those barrels and screens are not "walls", they are hard cover/vision barriers. This isn't Live Action Role Playing. It's a sport. The only object is to achieve your potential and eventually win.
    Indeed. The things you need to win a combat oriented sport are good to have in the toolbox in combat, but they don't constitute the entirety of combat.

For instance in grappling, I need to have the ability to use distance, gripfight, dominate position, and be proficient in the use of weight to win the fight.

The cops I roll with probably won't use De La Riva guard in a street encounter, but even a relatively freshman level of skill in the foundational skills of BJJ will help them to conduct an arrest more effectively on a larger percentage of criminals.

To further the analogy, most combatives programs are some form of drilling, and if you never drill, don't expect to win. But even so, the guy who drills isn't necessarily gonna win the tournament. You just know the guy who doesn't will be more likely to lose.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List