Thread: FPF Home Defense Shotgun Culpeper VA November 11th 2017

FPF Home Defense Shotgun Culpeper VA November 11th 2017

Lead Instructor is Tim Chandler. Tim is a serious defensive practitioner. He has been honing his craft for a long time, and it shows. Tim has studied with industry masters like Tom Givens, Ernest Langdon and Todd Green. His ability and knowledge base are significant. More importantly, Tim does a thorough job imparting knowledge to you and effectively developing your skills.

Tim has a specific interest in the shotgun as a home defensive weapon of last resort for civilians. He has done the research and work for you. If you keep, or are considering acquiring, a shotgun for home defense, you will be well served to plan to train with him.

Tim’s research will open your eyes to the realistic dangers of a home invasion by violent criminal actors. He will encourage you to primarily pursue avoidance by hardening your home and increasing your current security measures. If that fails and you find yourself and your loved ones in imminent danger, his class will give you the skills behind a dependable shotgun to optimize your ability to quickly repel invaders.

The class is well thought out. It is delivered in an organized manner that showcases Tim’s enthusiasm and knowledge for the topic. It is run in a safe and efficient manner that allows students to digest the information and learn the skills.

In this class, you will get to pattern your shotgun and chosen defensive loads to determine exactly what your chosen equipment is capable of. You will get to stress test your equipment to ensure it is worthy of you staking your life on. The courses of fire clearly show how reliable your scattergun is and how accurate and predictable your defensive ammunition is. Optimal effective shotgun setup will become evident to you. You will be stressed in competition and time and accuracy standards. You will fire a demanding standard law enforcement officer type qualification course of fire to evaluate yourself.

The above list is not all inclusive. There is more in the course, but I am not going to list it all. Semi-automatics and pump guns will show their strengths and weaknesses. Myth and incorrect information will be replaced with the light of truth. The pros and cons of various sight systems will be revealed.
    My recommendation is that this is a great course and you should take it, especially if a shotgun is or may be part of your home defense preparations. Tim knows his way around a gauge and he provides an effective path to likewise ability for you.

If you live near the Northern Virginia area and you don’t know about John Murphy’s FPF Training, you are missing out. FPF provides defensive practitioners with relevant skills, particularly in context. Specifically, being able to recognize and quickly react effectively to often used criminal assault commencement tactics.

FPF regularly brings serious training industry talent to the NOVA area, from Tom Givens of RangeMaster and Greg Ellifritz of Active Response Training. John just added to that depth of quality with this introduction of Home Defense Shotgun by Tim Chandler. If you run or want to run a scattergun, particularly for home defense go check it out!

I'm very glad to have been able to participate in this course. Tim did a great job of running a safe class and managing the diverse range of backgrounds and experience levels present.

In particular, I very much liked the way Tim oriented this not as just a shotgun course, but as a shotgun in the context of home defense course. Though I am familiar with the research and information presented by William Aprill and Tom Givens, I have not yet had the opportunity to take classes from either gentleman. Tim's course draws upon his understanding of their research and gives you an opportunity to understand the criminal paradigm a bit more, particularly in relation to home invasions and the preparations (both mentally and in terms of equipment) necessary to defend one's self and family.

I consider myself quite reasonably experienced (though not expert by any stretch of the imagination) with carbines and pistols, but a bit of an empty book when it comes to shotguns. As someone who is confined to practicing at an indoor range that only allows the use of slugs, one of the main barriers, aside from inexperience, holding me back from putting the shotgun into play in a home defense role was an inability to see how buckshot performed out of my shotgun. Being able to pattern loads out to 15 yards, in addition to running the gun hard in certain drills, was a great proving ground to see what worked and what did not. Even though the overall round count was low due to the size of the class and the reduced amount of daylight, there were multiple shotguns that started exhibiting issues, ranging from minor annoyances to at least one or two that became at least partially inoperable. Given most of us have a pretty strict testing protocol that we use to vet carry pistols, this was an invaluable opportunity to make sure your shotgun works as well as you think it does, and with the ammo that you plan on using either for practice or defense. In addition, though I don't think this played into Tim's original strategy, the decidedly brumal weather also provided a unique opportunity to see just how helpful (or not) gloves can be, or how reduced dexterity and numb fingers affect reloading techniques.

I ran a 1301T with the CROM sight set up and had no issues. In fact I had so much damn fun shooting the 1301 that I think I'll be picking up a second one next year. If you're in Northern Virginia or within what you consider a reasonable driving range of Culpeper and are interested in learning both about shotguns and how they factor into home defense scenarios, look no further.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen!

I'm glad you could make it...and it was nice to finally meet you in person, Matt. Although since I saw the optic on your 1301 I've been having trouble resisting the urge to buy that setup for myself...

Something I forgot to mention in the hustle of the course is that Tau Development Group sent me a number of shrouds for the 1301 in an amazing array of colors. Anyone who was at the course that wants one please hit me up and let me know and I'll send you one.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List