Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 Yard Support Hand Shots

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lance View Post
    Maybe you can share an epiphany or two...

Thanks---and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Bill
    Let's see...some epiphanies...

1) I never quite understood why certain people had all blacked out sights. Now I do because apparently I can't hit jack shit at distance with stock Glock sights. I also apparently can't hit shit very well with the rear blacked out all the way either. Both front and rear sights blacked out? Apparently I can. I don't know exactly what I was doing but I couldn't for the life of me shoot a group at 25 and 50 yards. It was bad when the head instructor looks at your target, you, the target, you and then replies, "You might want to put the shotgun away and get the pistol back out." Again, I'm not sure what was going on because I was focusing on the front sight, fundamentals "appeared" okay from everyone else's view that watched me shoot but things didn't come together until I blacked out both the front and rear sight with a sharpie.

2) In low light conditions, people tend to shoot better because they don't have any other external visual distractions so their focus is better on their sights and front sight.

3) This was my first time actually exposed to using a grip around the slide or a thumb behind the slide of a Glock to keep it in battery while doing contact shots. Afterwards, a tap/rack and movement to get back in the fight.

4) Stance doesn't matter. Weave/Isocoles...whatever. In a gunfight, you'll be in a stance that doesn't even have a name. Both have disadvantages and advantages. Find what works for you but don't get tied up around the axel about it. Head instructor is a plank owner in Hojutsu and Combat Marksmanship and proscribes the Weaver stance. I'm not a fan and shoot more Isocoles. It doesn't matter. If you can perform on demand the task at hand and get good hits on time while on one leg with your left arm behind your back? Good on you.

5) It was taught to me by Mr. Grumpy last year at an EAG course and was reinforced here: when you draw, focus where you want the round to go. Most of the time, the rounds will go where or close to where you wanted them to go as the pistol and sights will come into your sight.

I'm sure there are more but currently at work so...

Thanks----very good summation.

Mr. Grumpy-----
    Hi Pat.

If it needs gaming - game it!

25 yard support hand shots from a barricade have little relevance to any real world application of a handgun, but when in Rome – act Roman.

The vast majority of qualification COF’s bear little resemblance to reality anyway, so do the only reasonable thing and “game it”. Dismiss any tendency to “tactically” perform on this stage and use a stance and barricade support position that best maximizes your probability of making good hits. Like any good gamesman, use the allotted time allowed to your benefit.

It's been my experience that attempting to blend tactics into any standard measure of proficiency is fairly useless, and those that can’t differentiate between the two tasks don’t generally perform their best in either context.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List