Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MA State Police Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Unfortunately, the abused trooper will pay a price for not being a team player and for suing. The powers that be will never promote him because they don't trust him. They will view him as a troublemaker.
    That said, if we all go along to get along then the miscreants will win without a challenge. We may not win all the battles or even the war...but if we don't fight we're sure to lose, which would be a hell of our own making. (As present history has demonstrated most clearly.)

Site Supporter
    Absolutely true. The trooper's brave effort should serve as an example to follow. I'd feel honored to buy him a giant steak and several rounds of drinks, and then drive him home.

^^^I agree with this.

At the department where I worked, our chief would make a note of guys like this, check them out through the grapevine, and if they seemed like solid people, reach out to them the next time we did a lateral hiring process.

We got some solid people that way. My department wasn't perfect but we tried.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Unfortunately, the abused trooper will pay a price for not being a team player and for suing. The powers that be will never promote him because they don't trust him. They will view him as a troublemaker.
    Eh, I don't know about that. I mean, sure, it's possible, but hear me out:

It's one thing to sue the department because someone was mean to you in basic; or sue the department because you're a female and don't like the "guy talk"; or sue the department because word got around that you got punished for being a fuckup.....it's another to sue a department for what your coworkers would likely want to sue them for, too. That's my impression of having seen a family member with just a few months on the job hem up a sergeant for his misconduct. Today he's in a specialty billet, and one of the most trusted and liked guys in the department.

And, if any of the command staff gets replaced, then the replacements will probably commend him and want to attach themselves just so they can appear as virtuous public servants.....even though they're just doing it for publicity.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-12-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    That's a good perspective especially since the trooper is not an at will employee with an elected sheriff or local yokel appointed chief for a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    At the department where I worked, our chief would make a note of guys like this, check them out through the grapevine, and if they seemed like solid people, reach out to them the next time we did a lateral hiring process.

We got some solid people that way. My department wasn't perfect but we tried.
    I didn't sue my department over some part 1 offense shenanigans, i.e. making offense reports for reported offenses, that ultimately resulted in a popular Sgt being forced to retire. My mistake. At a certain point when you're in, you're in and it's too late to worry about making waves. That bullshit followed me for years. IMO he's better off filing the suit, he's screwed either way, he might as well send a message to the agency that there will be consequences for fucking with him.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I didn't sue my department over some part 1 offense shenanigans, i.e. making offense reports for reported offenses, that ultimately resulted in a popular Sgt being forced to retire. My mistake. At a certain point when you're in, you're in and it's too late to worry about making waves. That bullshit followed me for years. IMO he's better off filing the suit, he's screwed either way, he might as well send a message to the agency that there will be consequences for fucking with him.
    I agree. The motto I have lived with my entire life is "If you fuck with me, I will make it hurt," and it' served me well.

Before he sued and brought all this to light, they could have slowly worn him down to make him either quit or fire him. Put him on the shit details. Write him up for a speck of lint on his uniform, stuff like that. Now he'd have a pretty clear cut retaliation claim to make.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

CWM11B
    Two weeks in to retirement. Shit like this makes me like it even more.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 11-13-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    A late friend who was very near retirement received a speeding ticket while traveling out of state. I asked if he had showed his deputy/sgt/law enforcement ID during the stop. He said no and gave the reason that he wished to retire soon. He feared possible retaliation from political enemies above him in the chain of command should he be accused of trying to weasel out of a ticket. The cops that I know don't disclose their l.e. identity to other cops when receiving traffic tickets. Part of their motivation is professionalism. My opinion is that some degree of distrust exists, but I can't explain this. I do sense it though.

User Tag List