Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Roles of Hand Held Lights

The Roles of Hand Held Lights

No secret that I'm a Malkoff Junkie and if funds permitted, I'd own every one they make. Since that is NOT the case, all of my recent light purchases revolved around a specific use (as opposed to simply collecting lights because I like them). Here are the roles and the Malkoff lights that fill them;

EDC

An every day carry light for me is primarily for utilitarian purposes, a true general purpose light. The main attribute I want is ease-of-carry (small and light weight) with a selection of output levels: at least eight hours of run time on the lowest setting and 300+ lumens on the high setting. My current light of choice for this role is a Malkoff MDC 1CR123 body, a VME head and a M361LMH drop-in. Using an IMR 16340 rechargeable cell (700mah), I can get about 10 hours of run time on the lowest setting (15 lumens), about two hours on the mid setting (80 lumens) and about 20 minutes on the highest setting (400 lumens). This combo has proven to be ideal for this role;

General Purpose Outdoor

When I know for certain that I'm going to need a light - like taking the dogs for their evening walk - I want a multi-output light with plenty of power and long run time. I also want the light to be reasonably lightweight and compact enough to be comfortably carried in-hand or in a jacket pocket. In this role the Hound Dog 18650 is superb. On the low setting it produces 30 lumens in a very useful beam with a run time measured in days. On high it produces 800 lumens, with a center hot spot that produces 29,000 lux. This is by far the most useful light I own, though it is a bit too large for EDC;

EDC - Self Defense

This may seem an odd or redundant category, but lights can be configured and optimized for this role - easy to carry, excellent ergonomics for use with an overhand (icepick) grip, blindingly bright, extremely durable/shock resistant and adequate run time. In this role I am using a Malkoff M61T MD2 with their high-low bezel switch. Rated at 350+ lumens with a TIR lens this light produces 12,000 lux at one meter in a tight center cone on the high setting (bezel tightened down securely on the body). The beam also has a very wide, low lumen spill that produces enough peripheral illumination for situational awareness. What makes this beam pattern so useful in this role is that the tightly focused center section of the beam can be used to temporarily blind an assailant without blinding everyone around them. It also allows for about three hours of run time using a Li-ion 18650 cell before the output begins to taper off. It can also use two standard CR123A cells if needed.

Unlike the Hound Dog 18650, the low setting (loosening the bezel) is not particularly useful when used for outdoor navigation, but is perfect for up-close work such as reading a map, looking for something in a backpack, etc. In my case, the bezel stays tightened down for reliable full power operation and only loosened when reduced output is preferable.

Generally speaking, if I venture out at night (carrying concealed or not) this is the light that comes with me. It is also the one I use to practice with a handgun;

I've come to the conclusion that like firearms, you cannot have too many flashlights - but it pays to know which one you'll be reaching for depending on the circumstances.

There have been instances of the finger loops used on a handed light causing injury (torn ligaments), when the fight went hands on. I noticed recently one maker of such loops is advertising the break away feature of their new version to avoid just that.

This caution was just passed on to me recently by someone with direct knowledge of the injuries, so this thread seemed like a good place to note it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    .... I noticed recently one maker of such loops is advertising the break away feature of their new version to avoid just that. .......
    Would you identify said maker?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I can't recall. It was on TFB about 3 weeks ago.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Did you install the clip on the Malkoff M61T MD2?
    --Jason--

The Roles of Hand Held Lights

Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    Thyrm- (pronounced like “theorem”)

ETA: it’s the 2.0 model https://thyrm.com/product/switchback...ashlight-ring/

And it’s thyrm not thrym - previously misspelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4gallonbucket; 11-12-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    There have been instances of the finger loops used on a handed light causing injury (torn ligaments), when the fight went hands on. I noticed recently one maker of such loops is advertising the break away feature of their new version to avoid just that.

This caution was just passed on to me recently by someone with direct knowledge of the injuries, so this thread seemed like a good place to note it.
    JHC, thanks. Unseen in the photos above, all of my finger lanyards at equipped with break-away barrel connectors in the event an assailant gains control of the light;

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Did you install the clip on the Malkoff M61T MD2?
    Yes, it is an Oveready 1.0 Light - Spring Stainless Steel Pocket Clip.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    JHC, thanks. Unseen in the photos above, all of my finger lanyards at equipped with break-away barrel connectors in the event an assailant gains control of the light;

Excellent! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 4gallonbucket View Post
    Thyrm- (pronounced like “theorem”)

ETA: it’s the 2.0 model https://thyrm.com/product/switchback...ashlight-ring/

And it’s thyrm not thrym - previously misspelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks much.

User Tag List