Thread: Florida woman tried to set off explosive during traffic stop

Site Supporter

Florida woman tried to set off explosive during traffic stop

Florida woman tried to set off explosive during traffic stop, police say

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/08...olice-say.html

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Moore was pulled over at around 11:15 p.m. in the Grove Park area of the city. They said Moore refused multiple requests to get out of the car and began reaching under her seat. As one of the officers tried to pull Moore out of the car, she produced out the explosive device and attempted to ignite it. Another police officer got in the passenger's side of the vehicle and took the device away from Moore.

A search of Moore's vehicle revealed more explosive devices, as well as wigs and glasses for use in disguises. When asked what she was doing in the neighborhood, Moore said she was on her way to her boss' house.

Authorities did not detail the type of explosives recovered from the vehicle, but said the bomb squad collected them.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-11-2017 at 11:57 PM.

I apologize for posting in the LEO forum as a non LEO but I’m very curious to see how the investigation on this plays out. Thank goodness the officers were on top of things and stopped her from setting off the device.

I would not want to have to think about TTP’s for this as a state side LEO. It’s an almost impossible situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They said Moore refused multiple requests to get out of the car and began reaching under her seat. As one of the officers tried to pull Moore out of the car, she produced out the explosive device and attempted to ignite it.
    IF this is accurate, deadly force would have been well within the realm of viable responses.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    IF this is accurate, deadly force would have been well within the realm of viable responses.
    Agreed.

Site Supporter
    Deadly force would have been lawful, objectively reasonable, and consistent with (I would assume and hope) agency training and protocol as I frequently write in instructor and supervisor reviews of "response to resistance and aggression". That said, it's hard to judge what the officers' perceptions were based on media reports. The cops were in close quarters to the suspect and the device. Moreover, unless the bad guy (or, I realize, girl) attended the Wiley Coyote School of IED Design, the device may not have been recognizable as a threat until the cops were danger close,

Glad it worked out for our brothers and sisters at JSO. Strong work and be safe.

Crazy stuff right there, glad this psycho wasn't able to set this off.

One of my CJ professors talked about a similar incident while executing a search warrant some time back. His team goes in and upon encountering their suspect, the guy produces a pipe bomb and tries to light it. My professor said he was on the shotgun with beanbag rounds, tried to ricochet a round from behind the guy and when that didn't work just nailed him center mass. The two other deputies with him at the time hadn't yet pieced together what the guy had been trying to accomplish with the lighter and cylindrical-shaped device in his hands.

Could've been quite ugly had he succeeded.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Here's another one:

Florida man had grenade, explosive devices in parents' house, polic

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/13...olice-say.html

A Florida man who told officials he was anti-government and wanted to hurt first responders had explosive devices and substances in his parents' house that could cause a “significant destruction and loss of life,” police said on Monday.
    Chitwood told reporters he believed Langer was working on a delivery system and building a bomb. A SpongeBob SquarePants lunch box was found that appeared to be “booby-trapped” for an explosive device.

Langer was known to officials, who saved his life about two weeks ago when he overdosed on heroin. He was revived with Narcan, Chitwood said. Psychedelic mushrooms and marijuana were found growing in the home.

Langer told the bomb squad he is anti-government, against the system and was looking to “get even” by harming first responders, Chitwood said. He added Langer had a “white mask” associated with a group, though Chitwood did not name the specific organization.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-13-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    And another :

USPS investigating package explosion in Alameda

http://www.ktvu.com/news/usps-invest...ion-in-alameda

This possibly involves an off duty officer. The officer received a package from USPS, saw wires sticking out and immediately throws it outside where the package explodes injuring one person outside.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-26-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    And another :

USPS investigating package explosion in Alameda

http://www.ktvu.com/news/usps-invest...ion-in-alameda

There have been multiple devices with matching signatures in the SF Bay Area now.

This possibly involves an off duty officer. The officer received a package from USPS, saw wires sticking out and immediately throws it outside where the package explodes injuring one person outside.

User Tag List