Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody tried the Cherries Deep Concealment holster?

Anybody tried the Cherries Deep Concealment holster?

I think it was Revolver Bob who mentioned this holster (http://tinyurl.com/y8uwcgfm) in another thread, and it piqued my interest. Would anybody who is using the holster care to review it?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....olster-seen-it

I've given a short review on it. Currently, three weeks into using this holster, I'll have a longer review soon(ish).

They sent me one for review and it's pretty much a tarted up Fobus for AIWB. It's trash.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    They sent me one for review and it's pretty much a tarted up Fobus for AIWB. It's trash.
    "Tarted up Fobus"...the P-F equivalent of "Lipstick on a pig"

I love it.

You know you and I typically are in agreement about things, but I think you've thrown a decent product under the bus here man. In terms of build quality, the injection molding process leaves something to be desired, I concur. But I'm not sure "tarted up Fobus" really does the general idea and even execution of this thing justice.

It could be better (I'm in process of writing up my review), but I also think that...

1) the execution for the price point is pretty solid.
    2) The conceptual idea and execution of it is better than it has any right to be.
    3) If you set it up as an above the waistband traditional-style AIWB it's absolute trash. But setup below the waistband as conceptualized it's again better than it should be.

Calling it "Fobus-like trash" implies that there are better versions of this idea on the market. I don't think there are. The Smartcarry/Thunderwear concept is closest and it isn't close to as good as the Cherries product. The Recaza holster is okay, but I am not fond of the lack of retention and trigger guard coverage offered, compared to the Cherries holster. A tuckable AIWB that is tucked, isn't even close to as good as the Cherries holster in execution or concealment, and with respect to the two handed draw nearly as fast.

I actually bought this thing - thinking it would be a bust. And when I first put it on, I continued thinking that. Working with it for a couple of weeks and wearing it for a couple of weeks has changed my mind. That said, as I'll detail in my coming review (next week, sorry to keep saying Soon™, I'm applying to jobs currently), there are some changes that should be made that could really improve the execution. I fully intend to forward them to Cherries and try to work with them to get them implemented.

In traditional AIWB mode, absolutely is trash. I concede that for deep, tuckable concealment it's slightly better, but I think that I'd rather tie a Vangard to my belt for something like that. I don't like how the tuck-strut works (or doesn't work, depending on your feelings).

Also it doesn't fit my Beretta.
    Last edited by jetfire; 11-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    In traditional AIWB mode, absolutely is trash. I concede that for deep, tuckable concealment it's slightly better, but I think that I'd rather tie a Vangard to my belt for something like that. I don't like how the tuck-strut works (or doesn't work, depending on your feelings).

Also it doesn't fit my Beretta.
    Not being smart here (for obvious reasons) but how does a Vanguard tied to your belt stabilize the gun?

No idea how well this holster works but I'm just trying to picture the Vanguard idea. Maybe a VG2 with some kind of strut but it seems less secure and more prone to printing than a gun bucket.

I'm curious to see the review, anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I always get freaked out seeing SA safety-less holster solutions where the muzzle is free to be pushed out of retention and then you just hope that no clothing gets in the trigger guard...

I don't like how the tuck-strut works (or doesn't work, depending on your feelings).
    I'll be honest I never realized the street appear to be "tuckable" until you pointed this out. You're spot on the tuck-strut is pretty terrible as a tuckable strut. I don't use it that way, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    I always get freaked out seeing SA safety-less holster solutions where the muzzle is free to be pushed out of retention and then you just hope that no clothing gets in the trigger guard...
    After not quite 8 weeks of carry 4-5 days of week ~6-10 hours at a time, I have not had the gun move out of retention at all. In my view retention is as good with this product as it is with any tension adjustable kydex holster. It does, perhaps, a little less retention, but I'm comfortable that the design has adequate retention overall.

___

Alright folks,

Here is my slightly longer-term review of the Cherries Multi-Fit Deep Concealment Holster (MFDC)

Disclaimers: I purchased this holster on my own. Cherrie's did provide me with a minor discount, to help offset shipping costs (10%).

Cost: With discount, total paid was $46, shipped. Standard price is $39.99 + $10 Shipping.

First impressions - Meh. First impression of this holster is, it is injection molded, flexible, skeletal looking thing that seems about 1 step above an Uncle Mike's Sausage Sack. The holster arrived in a standard Postal envelope, with no instructions, no general packaging, except a piece of packing foam wrapped around it. I'm, personally, not that into fancy packaging, so I don't care, it was less crap to throw away at the end of the day, and that I appreciate it.

Design is simple, it's a fold-over "taco" pouch that is held together with a Phillips head Chicago-screw, with a rubber spacer to keep the taco from collapsing. It's like any folder over holster out there. There were no sharp edges, no flashing, and no gaudy seams anywhere on the product, everything was rounded and smooth from the get go, which I consider a real plus, given the price. I mentioned before in my mini-review, my holster is technically for the P2000. In order to fit my P30, I had to insert another rubber spacer at the tension screw to open the holster a bit wider to fit the wider P30.

___

So that's the basic overview, let's get to the nitty-gritty. There are two aspects of this design that are critical to the review, the first is concealment, the second is draw.

To demonstrate concealment, I've provided a few images of me using the thing.

Name:  IMG_2355.jpg
Views: 6016
Size:  33.5 KB

Here the holster in more or less "default" mode. My muffintop almost completely conceals the gun and would do so, if I wasn't sucking it in slightly for this photo (see oval).

Name:  IMG_2358.jpg
Views: 6264
Size:  32.0 KB

Now you can see how much of the gun is exposed when I suck in my gut.

The idea here, is I want you to see the approximate ride height on the middle setting. The grip is virtually level with my waistband, which dramatically improves retention AND drawstroke.

The holster does bulge a bit...And as a result, I'd say concealability is a little bit further down. That said, this is one of those, "don't overthink" kind of situations. If you're using this holster in an NPE like your office or a classroom, I don't think a single person is going to ask you about the "bulge" in your pants. If you're using this holster in an NPE where there is high security however? Think twice. The bulge is "lessened" but still present in dress slacks, cargo shorts, or looser fitting pants.

Name:  IMG_2356.jpg
Views: 5200
Size:  29.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2357.jpg
Views: 5160
Size:  28.2 KB

___

Okay, that's concealment. My general review is this: It bulges and my wife notices it. My peers, friends, colleagues, haven't noticed (or haven't said anything). This far, everything seems to be working okay.

What about draw? As I mentioned in my mini-review, the draw on this thing from the promo vids gave me high expectations. Let's dash them some, can this holster be quick? Yes. BUT you need to use the inside the pocket, two-handed, draw stroke, and you have to be firm about it.

Here I've demonstrated two-handed outside the pants draw stroke -

I've done it slowly, to demonstrate the problem. Pushing up on the muzzle from outside the pants, tilts the butt of the gun and results in the butt getting trapped by the belt line/waistline. This is mitigated, slightly but leaning backwards and jutting your hips forward as you conduct the draw stroke (essentially like the hard break "pelvis jutt" that you'd do reholstering an AIWB), but still about 70% of the time, you'll get a fumbled, obscured draw, where you'll have to fish the gun out.

___

By contrast the inside-the-pocket two-handed draw stroke is quite a bit smoother -

What happens is you can push directly up on the muzzle and this allows the gun to come up "straight" without any of the issues of the butt snagging on the waistband.

___

Overall thoughts -

After 2-months, I like this holster overall.

First, it conceals fairly well, minus the "bulge". Second, it retains the gun more firmly than the Recaza design and even a Smart Carry (unless said smart carry has a kydex holster insert). It is also quicker on the draw than the smart carry, with the two handed draw. The downsides, the one-handed draw of this, isn't a complete speed disaster, but almost is, it takes what feels like a decade to get the gun out.

Second, comfort. Holy fuck the thing is really comfortable to wear. The gun fits in the hollow of my leg and as a result, doesn't poke/press/stab anything. I was stunned the first time I wore it for more than 2 hours. After 12-hours straight, I only realized I was carrying, when I consciously thought about it. I've carried regularly, for more than a decade now, and only pocket holsters are this "forgettable" in terms of carrying a gun. Nothing, nothing, I've tried has ever been as comfortable - for me. It's more comfortable than my kydex OWB holster, which occasionally stabs me in the top of the hip. For the concealment value, I cannot really believe the comfort factor.

Third, this thing is so comfortable, conceals well enough for me, and has adequate speed, that it has actually become my go-to carry holster. It's changed the way I think about carrying a compact-to-standard sized gun. Seriously, the only thing in terms of comfort and carry that I've had as close was a pocket carried J-Frame. I'm packing a standard P30 LEM here.

CAVEATS -

1) The two-handed drawstroke ain't for everyone. You are either comfortable using your middle finger to push the muzzle up from inside the pocket, or you are not. I've been average 30-reps a day with an empty gun for 60-days (~2000 reps is what I've actually gotten in). I've not had clothing or anything get in the trigger guard and have not had the hammer on my gun move at all. I don't think you're going to blow the end off your social digit drawing this thing, but I understand your reticence.

2) Reholstering is - a fucking pain in the ass. Yes, I can reholster the gun, without dropping my fly and loosing my belt, but it's a slower and even more tedious process than a normal AIWB. That said, this is where I like the LEM gun. I'd say this holster is even MORE dangerous than a normal AIWB, because of the way it sits, is literally on top of your femoral artery. This isn't something to be taken lightly, reholstering with this thing must be done SUPER deliberately and with care.

I would not - repeat - NOT consider carrying a striker fired gun sans Gadget - in one of these holsters, FULL STOP. I couldn't be PAID to carry a P320/VP9/Thumb-Safetyless M&P in one of these. A safety equipped gun, would be even more ideal. I am okay with my non-safety equipped P30 LEM, but it is a V1 LEM and I ride the hammer going into the holster.

3) Design changes to minimize bulging. Here is my take, as delivered the Cherries Multi-Fit Deep Concealment holster is a pretty good product overall. But it falls down in a couple of places, "multi-fit" leaves something to be desired.

First, the MFDC is "fat". The CCC Versaclip is considerable thinner than the MFDC holster -

Name:  IMG_2363.JPG
Views: 5333
Size:  72.9 KB

It's bulky and it could be reduced in size, by being made of kydex.

I didn't have any spare kydex on hand, so I just used some cardboard to make a little space and borrowed the clip from the MFDC and attached it to the Versaclip. I dropped it on and was able to reduce the bulk* and maintain the same features of the MFDC.

*The problem is that the gun still bulges and noticeably. So what is the alternative? If we return to the Racaza/Frema design...

Name:  5921_image.jpg
Views: 5128
Size:  25.9 KB

See that wide curved front portion? That pushes the pants outward and effectively masks the gun bulge, filling the front of your pants and making a symmetrical curve that "looks" more natural and eliminates bulging. The Cherries design lacks that and as a result ends up bulging. My long-term solution will be to fashion a kydex "shield" and attach it to the MFDC. I believe this will resolve the bulging/printing problem. I'm prototyping some different shield shapes out currently and will report back as I develop them.

The other design change that could be implemented, is slightly less overmolding around the trigger guard. My particular model is tight in the trigger guard area (partly because this is a P2000 holster). But I imagine it would be tight around a P2000 trigger guard too (I don't have a P2K on hand to confirm). I relieved the guard ever so-slightly with a file and this allowed the clamshell to fit more "flush" around the gun.

____

Final thoughts -

If you're carrying a gun in an NPE where concealment is the top priority, consider the MFDC. However, beware that it could print slightly (again does less so in looser dress slacks, pleats and patterns would also break up the bulge to the eye). Also be aware that this holster requires a dedicated draw stroke and thus will require considerable effort.

At 2000 two-handed reps, I've found the sweet spot for me. It involved two aspects 1) Changing my belt. About halfway through, I changed from a 5-stitch 1.5" Wilderness CSM frequent flier (two ring) to a Masterminds Tactics Minimalist AIWB belt. This made all the difference in allowing good retention while allowing good draw. 2) I have to take my time to position the holster properly. Getting it in the hollow of my crotch and aligned. Once in the proper place it is extremely comfortable and does not move much at all, but it takes time finding the right spot and putting it there when you put the holster on.

My penultimate thought, the MFDC is a below-the-waistband holster that I really don't think tucks worth a damn (see way at the top my response to Caleb). Tuck your shirt behind and blouse it out a bit and you've solved the problem. Tucking into the clip? The drawstroke is a NIGHTMARE, don't do it.

My final thought, the MFDC is a garbage AIWB holster. I tried it for an afternoon, it was terrible. It flexes too much, it's thick, and retention isn't great. When the holster is at or below the waistband? The waistband of the pants and the belt help retain the gun in position. Above the waistband? It's a floppy pile of shit. If you need an AIWB holster - go get a good one from one of our fine Site Supporting businesses and leave this out of consideration. As a trick holster for a specific type of carry? YES. As a daily traditional AIWB holster? NO. As a daily IWB holster? NO. As a holster you carry a Glock in? HELL NO.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well, that's a really good, thorough review.

Clearly a holster for a really specific purpose but maybe not entirely without merit, as long as you're comparing it to other deep concealment holsters.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List