Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Groupthink: Magpul Glock Magazines

My only experience is with the 12 rd Glock 26 magazines. They are a bitch to load to capacity when brand new. I had to dig out one of the Glock magazine loading tools to get the 12th round in to one of the magazines. On a hunch, I fully loaded both of my 12rd MagPUl magazines and let them sit for about 10 days. They're still a bitch to load to capacity, but now I can get the 12th round in without assistance.

I only have about 300 rounds through my two magazines. All of which is 115gr WWB or Federal American Eagle and about 50 ads or 147 gr Winchester Ranger T series. No issues at all. I should probably vet them a bit more, but I do use these magazines on the rare occasion that I bench the Glock 19 and carry my G26. I also own a Glock OEM 12 rd magazine. I greatly prefer the OEM magazine as far as fully seating a fully loaded magazine into the gun. It just, "clicks in" without effort. But I have tried to limp wrist the gun to induce a malfunction when using the MagPul magazines and they have been reliable to date.

I do not shoot steel case ammunition so I an not comment. Our duty round is the Ranger T series, so I can't comment on the HST or how it feeds.

The reason I prefer the MagPul 12 mag over the OEM mag is the feel of the mag when loaded. The OEM base plate on the 2 rd extension sits rearward a bit. THE MagPul baseplate feels more natural to my pinky and overall just feels more natural to my hand.

My experience with the MagPul mags was disappointing. I wanted to use the 12 rd ones for carry in my 26. During my 2000 rd challenge of the 26 though, the ones I have proved to be unreliable. I had several stoppages when they were loaded to capacity and 1 in the chamber. The chambered round would fire then the top round of the mag would FTF. I'll use them for range time but OEM is all I'll carry.

Other issues experienced include, like others have reported, both the 12 and 17 rd are difficult to load to capacity. Also, inserting a full 12 rd mag into a holstered pistol proved difficult. The OEMs seat much easier. My guess is all these difficulties are due to the strong spring in the mag.

It's too bad. I prefer the profile of the MagPul 12 rd and really wanted to use it.

I purchased 10 of the 15-round and 10 of the 17-round Pmags when they first came out. My wife and I have been using them as training mags, and used them in two rainy, muddy classes this year. I've also fired 4k in steel cased Tula and Wolf through them in the last two years or so as well. My wife has one Glock 26 that has had two or three malfunctions with steel cased ammo and a couple of the the 17-round mags - other than that they have been great. Easy to disassemble and clean, and cheap to replace if needed.

I have since purchased another 26 of the Glock Pmags in the various sizes from MidwayUSA when they have been on sale over the last year. I now run the 21-round ones as my reloads, and have the 15 and 17-round ones in my various bags, as well as in both vehicles. All 46 have been used at the range and in training and have been as reliable as factory mags when running brass cased ammo. My experience with steel cased ammo has been great other than mentioned above.

The first 20 that I bought have well over 6k of all kinds of ammo through them with no telling how many reloads and drops onto concrete and dirt, and they still function fine. I loan them out at the range a lot and they have been used in dozens of Glocks.

I just bought more of the 15 and 17 rounders since they are currently $9.99 at Midway. I left them in the package and put them in the safe for use later. I highly recommend them based on my experience.
    Last edited by Clay; 11-12-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling

For a year now (this weekend because of Dave Spaulding's yearly NorCal visit), I've been using the 21rd model as my spare magazine(s) on & off duty. After getting six of them, I used only those in a weekend long class to see if they did or did not function. The range had a sand, gravel surface and the vast majority of my reloads (in spite of Dave often asking me to do some fashion of a tac reload) ended up on the sand.

During that class and since then, no stoppages related to these magazines. They get shot to empty at least monthly.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 11-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Site Supporter
    I purchased several of the 15 and 17 round mags some time ago. Like OEM mags, I would not opt carry them until they have proven themselves reliable in that they do what they are supposed to do. So...I have only used the Magpul GL mags in the training realm. After several thousand quality (various ATK made brass cased HP and FMJ) rounds, they have exhibited no problems. With that being said they really do nothing better than the OEM mags of the same size. The Magpul price point makes them attractive as beater training mags. So, for meaningful purposes, I will stick to vetted OEM mags for no other reason than it seems prudent to use the mags with which the pistol was designed to work.

More to follow....

Site Supporter
    Ok, I missed the edit window. As some of the other PF folks have mentioned, the Magpul mags are tight when new and hard to get to capacity. I do not routinely top of the mag loaded into the gun but I have not had trouble seating a fully loaded Magpul mag on a forward slide. This has been my experience with Gen 2 19/17, Gen 3 19/17, Gen 4 19/17 and Gen 5 19. I just grabbed a Gen 5 17 but have not yet fired it.

To continue the thought process.... If there is a reason to use the Magpul mags over OEM for purposes other than training and the mags are vetted than I'm fine with it. For my purposes, that reason arrives with the G26. The 12 round magazine for the G26 is my choice for carry as well as training. The OEM G26 mags with the +2 extensions function just fine. However, in my hands, those extensions feel slippery and hamper a solid grip (subjective). Grip tape and stippling grab at and abrade me and my clothing. The 12 round Magpul mag has some contour to the extension and feels far more secure in my hand (subjective). Additionally, the base plate seems (subjective) to be more securely anchored to the mag tube than is the OEM +2 extension. The 12 round Magpul mags that I have (n=2) do all the things a magazine is supposed to do. They have done so without fail through several thousand rounds of the same ammo as their larger cousins. I carry the 12 round Magpul mag in my G26. OEM 15 round mags are carried as reloads.

Overall my experience with the Magpul Glock magazines has been very positive. I have no inclination to change my current uses for them but, if OEM mags became unavailable, I would not lose any sleep about using Magpul as the primary magazines in any of my Glocks.

I may as well add my .02.

G26 12 round is totally GTG. I like these mags. They are indeed a real bitch to load to capacity. I load spares to 11, and the primary—with some effort—to 12, then chamber from there without topping off. I see them as 11+1, with good grip enhancement, per above.

G17: reliable in gen 3 G17, with occasional failure to lock back on empty.
    G17 in G26; occasional FTF. Random across sample of 5, no rhyme or reason. Fine for range; won’t rely on them for defensive use.

FWIW.

Been using the G17 mags since shortly after they came out. I've never had an issue with them (I have 6 of them), and I'd venture to guess that I have at least a few thousand rounds through the gun while using them. A few weeks ago, thanks to a cold rainy day, I was finally able to get them muddied up. Despite the clay-based mud on/in the magazines, my G17 continued to function normally. I'm satisfied that they work "as advertised".

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So do you have experience with Magpul magazines? If so what is it?

Yes

My experience that these Magpul magazines sometimes cause issue with certain guns. Personal observed experience with a buddy I go shooting with in his gen 4 g19. His gun has had not experience any issues except when he started using Magpul mags.

I get that they are cheap and can be used for range use or competition.
    Glock OEM mags are plenty cheap as is.

Personally I am using OEM mags for anything that is going to be used for defensive purpose.

Edited to add: Looking through these threads and the 2k challenge I see others have had similar experiences.
    Last edited by EVP; 11-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    Yes

My experience that these Magpul magazines sometimes cause issue with certain guns. Personal observed experience with a buddy I go shooting with in his gen 4 g19. His gun has had not experience any issues except when he started using Magpul mags.

I get that they are cheap and can be used for range use or competition.
    Glock OEM mags are plenty cheap as is.

Personally I am using OEM mags for anything that is going to be used for defensive purpose..
    So you observed your buddy have an issue with his gun and his mag, but you personally have not experienced anything, is that what you are saying?

Did you figure out what issues he was having? Ammo type? What type of malfunction?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List