Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC: Smaller vs Larger

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    When I hear random people say they shoot 40 just as well as 9 I assume they really mean that they shoot it just as poorly.
    Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GCBHM View Post
    When I carried the 27/23 I shot completely differently than I do now, but I did shoot from slow to fast at various distances on various targets. For example: some targets would be the sheets with say nine small bullseye type targets while others would be the life-size human silhouettes. While I was not always decidedly better with the 27, I was usually a little tighter at closer ranges, and never any worse for wear.

That doesn't really say anything.

Can you quantify it?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Can you quantify it?
    I‎t says enough. If you can’t figure out how someone can get tighter groups with one gun than another then you should take up bowing. [emoji6]

Why?

These comments that TGS refers to, like shooting a pocket 9 as well as a full size, or a 27 as well as a 23, are never followed up by times/scores of standard shooting tests/drills, which would give genuine insight into the shooters proficiency with said cartridge/firearm. Instead we usually get vague statements about "rapid fire" on a non specific target.

When I hear random people say they shoot 40 just as well as 9 I assume they really mean that they shoot it just as poorly.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Can you quantify it?
    I‎t says enough. If you can’t figure out how someone can get tighter groups with one gun than another then you should take up bowing. [emoji6]

Your last response is exactly the reason many people, myself included, agree with the first statement.

These comments that TGS refers to, like shooting a pocket 9 as well as a full size, or a 27 as well as a 23, are never followed up by times/scores of standard shooting tests/drills, which would give genuine insight into the shooters proficiency with said cartridge/firearm. Instead we usually get vague statements about "rapid fire" on a non specific target.
    Yes sir, precisely.

GCBHM: When politely queried for performance measuring, a response that I am the one who should take up a hobby other than shooting is not only indicative of what we are talking about, but also in poor taste and especially out of place on a forum dedicated to "students of the pistol" that values quantifiable performance tracking.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-10-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

EDC: Smaller vs Larger

When I carried the 27/23 I shot completely differently than I do now, but I did shoot from slow to fast at various distances on various targets. For example: some targets would be the sheets with say nine small bullseye type targets while others would be the life-size human silhouettes. While I was not always decidedly better with the 27, I was usually a little tighter at closer ranges, and never any worse for wear.

Ever do this working from concealment, while employing a timer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 11-10-2017 at 05:55 PM.

EDC: Smaller vs Larger

Well, again, as I stated, the format in which I shot was given. It’s pretty straight forward. There were no timers, no people standing by to record my times or scores. Just me shooting the gun. I’m really wondering why all the “can you quantify” nonsense. I’m not a competition shooter. I shoot for my own personal defense skills, and I’m aware of my own capabilities vs limitations. This isn’t a thread for others to figure out how good I am at what I do. It’s intended for people to give their own thoughts based on what they do. Is that clear?

Last edited by GCBHM; 11-10-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Perhaps I’m overly sensitive to the the tone some of the posts here appear to be taking, or maybe I’m just prescient, either way what’s the over/under on the post count where this thread goes irrecoverably stupid and gets closed?

This is my (stupid) way of asking everyone to not get (too) stupid/offended/whatever and force me to close this thread.
    Yeah, I’m like WTF. I‎t seemed pretty simple to me, but maybe there are a lot more folks out there who are not able to understand simple questions or who are simply too anal retentive.

We were issued the G19 and G26 by my former agency...years after I already owned and carried each on the job. I never felt under-gunned with either and oftentimes my qual scores, (for SRT as well as general quals), were better with the G26.

That changed when my Gen2 G19 frame was upgraded to a Gen3 by Glock on a warranty matter. Now I shoot the G19 demonstrably better. Having the larger grip which facilitates a quicker and more sure draw, seals the deal for me personally. HST or Gold Dot ammo completes the package.

While I'm quite comfortable using the G26, especially enhanced with a vetted Magpul 12 round magazine which provides more firepower as well as a better grip than standard configuration...these days I try to carry the G19 unless for LEOSA carry out of state, or in furtherance of concealment, (if it is an issue), the G26 suits the occasion better.

For me the G19 is a nearly ideal carry companion under most circumstances.

Edited to add to the OP:

You are getting replies from a number of people who have chosen to share their thoughts and experience with you. Many of these folks have a great wealth of experience garnered in the trenches. IMHO it would behoove you to treat them with respect. They've earned it on the job as well as via their contributions to the forum and its members.
    Last edited by blues; 11-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

User Tag List